Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-25-2014, 6:58 PM Reply   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wakeboard-To...5#ht_988wt_916

Are they any good?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-26-2014, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have something similar and never use them. The way I look at it is, If i have to get close the the rack I might as well put the board up. I don't see the point of going over and swiveling it toward me to load the board.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-26-2014, 11:46 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I have something similar and never use them. The way I look at it is, If i have to get close the the rack I might as well put the board up. I don't see the point of going over and swiveling it toward me to load the board.
There's more to a swivel rack than just loading boards. If you ever put your boat in a covered slip, you wouldn't be able to without smacking all your boards on the roof poles.

Swivels are awesome. Not only for fitting in a slip, but also rafting up with people. Just swing the swivels in and now you're not banging each others towers. I'd go swivel any day of the week over a non-swivel, even given the added cost.
Old     (soonerbilly)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-26-2014, 12:14 PM Reply   
I know i want swivels. I was hoping someone was using this particular one so that i could get a review on their quality.
Old     (Cabledog)      Join Date: Dec 2013       08-26-2014, 12:15 PM Reply   
I haven’t used that brand but they look like a good alternative to upgrade fixed position racks. I did have some of the racks with pins built in and swapped them for the Samson ones with a grab handle to release. They auto lock in the in or out position and are sweet!! They were pricey but I like them much better than removing the pin.

One thing to consider is where they swing in to lock with the pin. The factory racks I swapped out swung in a full 180 degrees and when loaded with boards the boards would hit on my lower tower speakers so locking them in the inside position with boards in the racks wasn’t an option. The Samson ones don’t swing a full 180 (not sure of the exact swing radius but just a few degrees less than 180) and don’t hit my speakers now.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2014, 2:02 PM Reply   
I have a pair of those but I got them from DIYwake.

http://diywake.com/store/wakeboard-rack-swing-arm

I just bought the swivel portion and retrofited my old monster racks to work with them but I am thinking about changing out the racks as well. Overall I really like them for the price. My only complaint is that the pin setup is a little cumbersome and sometimes it takes some wiggling to get the pin lined up so it pushes down into the hole. One of my winter projects may be to tap threads into the pin hole so I can install a spring loaded pin from mcmaster. I think that would make them much easier to use. The do swing in a full 180 and do not have any mechanism to lock them in the "in position".
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-26-2014, 2:04 PM Reply   
I will also say that I have had really good experiences with DIY wake. I believe the owners name is Raul and I have bought a few mirror arms and some bimini clamps in addition to the swivel racks and have always gotten top notch service. There stuff is also really affordable and everything I have gotten has been good quality.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-27-2014, 12:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx_wake View Post
I will also say that I have had really good experiences with DIY wake. I believe the owners name is Raul and I have bought a few mirror arms and some bimini clamps in addition to the swivel racks and have always gotten top notch service. There stuff is also really affordable and everything I have gotten has been good quality.
x2 I've purchased lots of stuff from DIYWake and have nothing but good things to say about them