Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-14-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
I've winterized my boat and found anchor which not use over two years. How often did you use the one during summer? We've ride on the lake and even if I need brake for lunch I can just shut down a motor and put boat in drift.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-14-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
I use mine several times throughout the simmer. Its a box anchor so it hardly uses any space at all when its stored and holds like none other.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-14-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
I use mine all the time - every other time I'm out practically. We anchor near shore - close enough for the kids to swim to shore and goof around, but far enough so the hull doesn't touch anything. Boats passing by tend to bounce you toward shore, so I just anchor far enough to keep me off the shoreline.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       11-14-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
been anchorless for 3 years now.
dont trust drunks with an anchor on board... bad things will happen
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-14-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
We use one all the time so we can let the dogs off to do their thing. Same as above where I just anchor out far enough so the boat never touches the bottom.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-14-2011, 2:47 PM Reply   
I use mine about 3 times a year. However, it's a petty good piece of safety equipment so I don't like being in a boat without one. If the engine stops in a storm it can save your boat from becoming a beach toy.
Old     (spf2275)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-14-2011, 4:26 PM Reply   
Box anchor for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old     (BKinSoCal)      Join Date: Oct 2011       11-14-2011, 7:19 PM Reply   
I use a box anchor as well. I take the responsibility of throwing my anchor myself so I don't have to worry about someone else doing damage. Almost all of my boating is done on a river so an anchor is a nice thing to have.
Old     (Bakes)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-14-2011, 7:20 PM Reply   
Every time out. We have a really nice little beach we set up on for lunch and such. Anchor with an anchor buddy out back and a sand spike in front. Love that sand spike
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-14-2011, 9:32 PM Reply   
Going out without an anchor is like taking a cross country road trip with no spare tire. Can you do it? Yep. Do lots of people do it successfully? Yep.

But when you DO need it, you are absolutely screwed. Ive saved a boat TWICE in a day with a readily accessible anchor.

Keep it in the boat, and keep it fairly accessible. On an open lake, you have more time to get to it. If you boat in narrow water ways, keep it more accessible. If you run into issues, it may be the only thing keeping you off the shore.

And really, if you have one....why the hell would you take it out of the boat?
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-14-2011, 9:37 PM Reply   
I have two on board. Box anchor for camping weekends anchored off shore on a bungee and a 20lb river anchor for just chillin in the cove. If you boat in any type of waterway with a current, you better have an anchor. It can save a non running boat from winding up on the rocks.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-14-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
I would always carry an anchor for safety.

With my new boat, I gave away my big hard to store danforth anchor and got a new compact box anchor to replace it.
Old     (992envy)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-14-2011, 10:43 PM Reply   
One you go box anchor you never go back. Very good investment, has always held my x star and have used every single time we have gone out. DH hit it on the head.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-15-2011, 3:56 AM Reply   
I have TWO anchors.A box anchor for me and a lake anchor for the people who want to park next to me without one.I even bring a dog screw and tie off line for them too.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-15-2011, 4:57 AM Reply   
I keep a regular mushroom anchor in the very front of the bow under a cushion, takes up no room at all and has been invaluable on more than one occasion. I've never had an issue anchoring with it but I've heard great things about box anchors, not sure what makes them so effective but might invest in one eventually, just don't have the need now.

But...if you have an anchor in your boat, there is no reason in the world to take it out? I'm surprised it's not mandatory to have an anchor on board in some places. I boat on a river that if my boat died and I didn't have an anchor I'd end up on the rocks, on the shore, or against a dam. These are all good enough reasons to keep an anchor in my boat, IMO.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-15-2011, 6:45 AM Reply   
I have one box anchor and one regular mushroom anchor. I use the box anchor nearly every time we are out, and the mushroom anchor every once in a while. I am planning on replacing the mushroom anchor with a box anchor and adding a sand spike to the mix. I agree 100% with what everyone has been saying about safety, even if I didn't use my anchors as much as I do, I would still have one on board in case of emergancies.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-15-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
I anchor all the time - just a uber cheapy the previous owner left with the boat (wish I would have snatched my slightly better one out of my last boat).

Any time we park to hang out I throw the anchor, just so I don't have to worry about the boat going anywhere. I need to purchase a box anchor.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-15-2011, 4:07 PM Reply   
Box anchor and a 16lb river with anchor buddy on board. The box is for out on the lake and the river for shore anchoring when done for the day.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       11-15-2011, 4:49 PM Reply   
I have just normal anchor with the big triangles on either side, not sure what its called, we ride in a river and use it nearly every time we go out.

might look into a box anchor
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-16-2011, 9:00 AM Reply   
Now I sure that anchor have to be in the boat constantly. Maybe I never use this one but it's as extinguisher have to be in place. Thanks all for your thoughts around this thread
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-16-2011, 9:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlangston13 View Post
I have just normal anchor with the big triangles on either side, not sure what its called, we ride in a river and use it nearly every time we go out.

might look into a box anchor
It's called a danforth anchor.You can go to www.slideanchor.com to check out the box anchor and i also recommend the shore spike and danik hook.
Old    Haugy            11-17-2011, 5:42 PM Reply   
Any real captain, never goes anywhere without a real, solid anchor. There are simply drift anchors and daytime anchors, but in emergencies you'd be surprised how much a real anchor and a lot of rope, and by a lot I mean close to 100', not 15. If the water is 100' deep, have 200'. And yes, I have two solid anchors in my boat, both with 100' of line.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-18-2011, 3:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugy View Post
Any real captain, never goes anywhere without a real, solid anchor. There are simply drift anchors and daytime anchors, but in emergencies you'd be surprised how much a real anchor and a lot of rope, and by a lot I mean close to 100', not 15. If the water is 100' deep, have 200'. And yes, I have two solid anchors in my boat, both with 100' of line.
All you need is 1 box anchor and enough line [usually 50ft or less]for whatever lake or river your in.If your in the ocean,your not wakeboarding.
Old    Haugy            11-18-2011, 6:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
All you need is 1 box anchor and enough line [usually 50ft or less]for whatever lake or river your in.If your in the ocean,your not wakeboarding.
I hope that's sarcasm. If not, you shouldn't be boating. Most lakes and rivers are over 50-100'. And if you know about boating, you don't want a line that is just long enough as it is deep. For example a 50' line in a 50' deep river, will never work.

Explain that to the poor SOB who drifted into rocks on our river when his fuel pump failed.

Or the family who's boat drifted into the barge channel, while a barge is coming up river. Sorry folks, get in my boat or stay, but I'm not towing it. We have to get out of the way of the giant barge. CRUNCH!!

Or the guy who anchored his, and went to socialize on his buddies boat, and saw his boat aground in the trees.

I've seen'em all. Get a real anchor and plenty of line, or expect a problem at some point.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-18-2011, 7:40 AM Reply   
+1 what Haugy said. Yup 100' minimum on the rope or it's pretty much useless unless your in some of those 15-20' Florida lakes. As said a Danik Hook is great to have also.
Old     (EnderWiggin)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-18-2011, 5:10 PM Reply   
I'm amazed at how many people don't put out enough line, drift into me, and say, "Are you moving?" No, no I'm not, but thanks, I'll move.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-19-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugy View Post
I hope that's sarcasm. If not, you shouldn't be boating. Most lakes and rivers are over 50-100'. And if you know about boating, you don't want a line that is just long enough as it is deep. For example a 50' line in a 50' deep river, will never work.

Explain that to the poor SOB who drifted into rocks on our river when his fuel pump failed.

Or the family who's boat drifted into the barge channel, while a barge is coming up river. Sorry folks, get in my boat or stay, but I'm not towing it. We have to get out of the way of the giant barge. CRUNCH!!

Or the guy who anchored his, and went to socialize on his buddies boat, and saw his boat aground in the trees.

I've seen'em all. Get a real anchor and plenty of line, or expect a problem at some point.
I've only been boating for 22 plus years and never had longer than a 50' line.Never had my boat anchor let go.I use a box anchor and it will work on a 2 to 1 scope.You obviously boat on very deep lakes and rivers.I've never anchored in any water deeper than 25'.We are referencing two different situations.Sorry for the confusion.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-22-2011, 5:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderWiggin View Post
I'm amazed at how many people don't put out enough line, drift into me, and say, "Are you moving?" No, no I'm not, but thanks, I'll move.
Haha, I hate that. You can tell they're going to ask too, they keep looking at your boat, then look at theirs, then look at the boats around them and how they're positioned in relation to them, then they ask the question, "hey...you moving?"

"No. Go practice somewhere"
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-23-2011, 2:31 PM Reply   
I have owned a danforth anchor for that last 3 boats, probably close to 15 yrs. I've used it maybe 5 or 6 times in all those years.
Last year I bought a Box anchor, mainly based on what everyone says about them online. But also because I had a bad experience with the boat getting pushed up on shore in a wind storm a few years ago.
So last summer is my first year with the new box anchor. And we ended up using it like 10 times all summer. If it's just the one boat & calm conditions, then there isn't much point. But anytime we had more than one boat hangin out, or had any wind or current, we used the box anchor. I think at Banks we had 13 boats rafted up with 3 anchors. On Liberty we regularly tied up my Vride, a 23' pontoon & a 21' MC 205.... with just the one box anchor. The thing is unreal how well it holds.
Several times at Shasta we'd drop the box anchor with all 50' of rope I had. It would just hang there till we drifted in where it was shallow enough for the anchor to grab something, and then there we'd sit, not moving any further till we pulled it back up.
The Box anchor is definitely worth getting..... and now that we have it, I find we use it a lot more often than I ever used the danforth.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-23-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
May of last year we went to Bullards, a storm blows in and we had some light rain and wind. Threw out the box anchor in a cove and rafted all five boats up and didn't budge one bit. Well worth the money
Old     (zeroflame1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-19-2012, 7:35 PM Reply   
I use the hourglass anchor it works far better than the box anchor and looks better and is better quality www.hourglassanchors.com
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-19-2012, 8:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroflame1 View Post
I use the hourglass anchor it works far better than the box anchor and looks better and is better quality www.hourglassanchors.com
Why don't you bash your #1 competitor.Oh you just did.I saw the demo video of the poor copycat of the box anchor.I would challenge you to offer proof that the hour glass is the real deal.
Old     (zeroflame1)      Join Date: Mar 2012       10-03-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Why don't you bash your #1 competitor.Oh you just did.I saw the demo video of the poor copycat of the box anchor.I would challenge you to offer proof that the hour glass is the real deal.
its just my opinion I have both the box and the hourglass both work great. but for the same price I would get the hourglass. as for being poor they are made in the USA and the boxes are made in china. I know hourglass had a demo video of it working on a river somewhere. I would rather buy american than china even if they work the same.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2012, 9:07 AM Reply   
Some people might be asking what does an anchor have to do with boat safety?
This might sound strange but if you had a problem with your boat like it won't start and you're in shallow enough water to anchor is the first thing that you should do is throw anchor
You should think of the anchor like putting your car in park. If you break down or have a problem you would never get out of your car without turning it off and or putting in Park. Breaking down and/or having a mechanical one problem it's another problem and or hassle to have to be spending your energy fending your boat off at shore while trying to Diagnose and or fix a problem.
I agree having an anchor is one of those essential things that many don't use but IMO its and essential part of boating just like bumpers.
Old     (Chuch)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-03-2012, 9:40 AM Reply   
G and others are spot on. I'll give you an example for giggles. Yup, I was out on a private lake with a buddy when his dumb butt ran out of gas. (Dont ask) With the wind blowing us towards the opposite end of the lake than the ramp, and the boat blowing towards the end with ROCKS, I told him to throw the anchor while we figured out a game plan. No anchor...no paddle. Within seconds we were both in the water, at 57 degrees with suits on, swimming the thing back to the ramp against the wind. He got lucky that day. For me, its a safety thing. I always have my anchor and one of those extendable paddles.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       10-03-2012, 10:57 AM Reply   
Been there Charles. Dealer decided to close my pickup valve during a repair and didn't tell me. About a quarter mile out from the ramp she overheated in about 25 mph wind. Luckily it was a cross wing paddle back to the ramp. Had an anchor to that I used to take a couple breaks. Not much fun rowing a 3000 lbs boat with a canoe paddle. Required gear for sure!!