Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (easttexasrider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-27-2010, 6:07 PM Reply   
I am thinking of getting some morring whips for my parents dock so i won`t have to take my boat out of the water when i spend the night. Has anyone ever used them?? how well do they work?? Which brand did you use?? Any pics and expierences would be appreciated. Thanks, Roger.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-27-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
I have them at my parents shore house for their boat and they work well. All boats at the shore use them. I can't remember where I purchased them from but they're all pretty standard. I actually couldn't believe how expensive they were ($300-$400 for 18-21ft boats). Overtons has them, check out their site or just google Mooring Whips, you're sure to find a bunch of sites.
Old     (easttexasrider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-27-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
I found quite a few different one`s. I want to order them, but I was just wanting to hear some reviews about them. I googled it and found alot of different vendors for them. It can get busy and choppy during the day at my parents, and I was wanting to hear how well these held the boat off the dock. They live on a river so when its busy the waves get bad one right after the next during the day.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-28-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
They work great.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 6:54 AM Reply   
I own two pairs ( differnt styles) they work great. they can handle failry rough chop and wind. the key is tying the boat off correctly . Make sure you follow the directions enclosed witht he whips. I have these. FYI, their weight limits are underrated IMO. I have the dockedge morring arms and whips. the whips I use as more of a universal docking solution ( multiple boats can use them the way they are setup) the mooring arms are set up specifically for my pontoon boat.

http://www.dockedge.com/products/lis...d=mooring_arms
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
check online for a set of used ones.....ebay, craigslist, ect.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-28-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
I have two sets. Have always been flawless.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-28-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
I have a set and they work great. Keep the boat nice a far away from the dock.

ROGER, I have a set as mentioned but NO dock to use them on. We may be able to work something out if you would like them. Only had them for 2 seasons and have been sitting ever since. The marina we used to keep our boat at is no longer. I live outside of Vancouver, Canada. PM me if your intereseted.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-28-2010, 1:07 PM Reply   
^^^^ FYI, they will sell quick on ebay.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 12:25 PM Reply   
I have a question. I called to order some a while back and they said the price for them was for a single whip. I think they were priced at $329. Does that sound right?

Dave, I might be a player on them. I'm about an hour and a half from Vancouver.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-29-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
^^ No problem Hate. I actually live in Abbotsford. Straight north of Bellingham through Sumas.

I'm going to be up at my summer house this weekend to grab a part number from them to see which ones they are.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2010, 4:29 PM Reply   
Cool, my dad lives in Sumas.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-30-2010, 12:54 AM Reply   
Mine are a fixed style. Many are now available with a spring load that pulls the whip vertical when disconnected from.the boat. Those are easier with a tower. I take the front whip out of it's socket when I'm heading out and leave it laying on the dock. That's an easy work around.

The key to leaving a boat on whips is tieing it properly. You need a line from the forward and the aft cleat on the boat to the dock near the boat cleat. The boat should sit 2-3 feet out from the dock when those lines are on. Then you need a spring line from the fore cleat on the boat to the aft location on the dock and from the aft cleat on the boat to the fore locatn on the dock. (spring line is the name of the way of tieing the boat, the lines are normal boat roaps). There are lots of diagrams on the web if you search "spring lines".

If you can, leave the nose out so that waves break On the bow instead of the transom and swim deck. They are handy.

Last edited by rallyart; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old     (easttexasrider)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-30-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
Thanks alot guys for the input. I plan on ordering some over the winter. Hey Dave i`m going to wait until winter to see if i can catch some on sale and figure out which brand i would like to have. Thanks alot for you input. Roger
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-31-2010, 10:12 PM Reply   
They work very well. I have used them for about 5 years and the boat has never come close to the dock. I use them less this year however as I now have a floating hydraulic lift.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-02-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
If the whips are setup up for one particular boat they work great.....you will run into issues if you use multiple boats on one pair of whips. Myself and friends on the lake have them setup best we can on our docks for other people to use. We have all broken the fiberglass poles.

for them to work correctly , you have to tie the boat off correctly and have the whips at the right angles or they will break over time.