Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-06-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
I'm getting tired of cleaning the road grime out of the boat after every trip.I make a few trips a month that are 260 miles one way. I know evolution and a few others make great covers.

Do you find it chafes the gel coat at all? I am worried about the cover rubbing against the gel coat. I'd rather clean the boat out than have to rub the gel coat.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-06-2010, 3:35 PM Reply   
No issues towing with either of my covers. I have not found sunbrella material to chaff gelcoat. Make sure any hardware like ratchets, clips, snaps, or anything else metal has plenty of padding around it and you should be fine. I am seeing some wear on the windshield frame but I can get that powdercoated at a later date if needed.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
I have a great towing cover and always use it on longer trips. There are three points on each side of the boat that rub a haze into the gel. They are the hooks that attach under the rub rail. They are covered in felt material but still rub so I use blue painters tape to cover the gel in those spots. Other than that its great, the boat stays clean and I'm sure has less drag. I also cover my racks, mirror and lights with cling wrap to keep the bugs off.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-06-2010, 4:57 PM Reply   
hate, we have the same boat. What brand is your cover?
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-06-2010, 5:13 PM Reply   
yeah ... what Eric said ^^^^
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2010, 5:33 PM Reply   
Best pic I have handy:
Attached Images

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-06-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
Hate - great idea with the blue tape and saran wrap. thanks for sharing
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
My boat company takes all their boats to a local shop called the Top Shop and has them custom built for each boat. They are a 5 to 1 cinch cover with cinch fit buckles in the back. I believe Cory's (Evolution) are pretty much the same but he may use the same type of straps in back as Rankin, which I don't care for.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-06-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Looks good. Where do you have to apply the tape?
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
Under the cover in these three spots on both sides:
Attached Images

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-06-2010, 7:12 PM Reply   
Evolution covers are awesome!
Attached Images

Old     (scott_nor_cal_syndicate)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-06-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskiprosx View Post
Evolution covers are awesome!
What does a cover like that cost?
Is that on a Sanger?
Old     (repo)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-07-2010, 12:07 AM Reply   
I've got the westland cover looks almost the same but covers the swim platform too. A little cover for the rachet inside the flap wouldn't hurt to stop any extra rubbing or chattering. It also ties down to the trailer.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-06-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
Patrick, no issues with rubbing with yours?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-07-2010, 12:23 AM Reply   
I have a Rankin (see Evolution) & have towed to Oroville, CA. and recently to Hells Canyon with no problems..... over 2500 miles. And thats just this year.
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       09-07-2010, 3:26 PM Reply   
I have a Rankin cover...same as Evolution basically except mine has never fit as well as
some of the others I see on here. There is too much material along the sides and it hangs down a little. I have read that there were some issues with quality control at Rankin a few years back when I bought my cover. It seems most people are happy with Evolution ones...I may contact Cory and find out what he would charge to fine tune mine so it fits properly.
All that being said mine trailers fine but I do get the chafing in the same spots as HatenPain. I use micro fiber towels under my cover between the rubrail hooks and the gelcoat. Works great.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-07-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
Scott, they run about a grand give or take.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Eric - No issues on rubbing all! We got rid of our last cover because it rubbed/scratched the gel. We have towed about 1200 miles this year with it and have had zero problems. It didn't loosen up at all after a 4hr drive.

Scott - The boat is a Sanger V230. Probably best you contact Evolution Covers to get pricing.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-07-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. I'll call up Corey and go from there. Now, do you notice if it collects dirt and what not on the underside where it could rub? I clean my other cover every season as that thing gets filthy and I don't even tow with it. I'm continually amazed how much dirt the boat can pick up in a few hundred miles.
Old     (scott_nor_cal_syndicate)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-08-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
I dropped an e mail to Evolution and he said that he has no templates for the Sanger line.
I asked about making some but it was a no and no suggestions on who or where to go for one.
Oh well that is a shame.....Seems like they make good covers according to everyone but seems kind of strange no Sanger templates

Hate n i am going to need some contact info for that cover manufacturer..

Also you should look into road wrap to protect where you are getting the chafing.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2010, 9:59 AM Reply   
Scott, call Don at The Pro Shop in Longview, Wa. (360) 577-1580 www.teamproshop.com Thats going to be your best bet on getting one. I'm not sure if the company that makes them has templates or what because shortly after I got my first cover I noticed two pin holes in it. The Pro Shop replaced it no questions asked but they had to send another boat over to have it made. There are different tower options so they'd need to have a template for each tower. If not he may have suggestions for you.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-08-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up on Road Wrap. I tried using cling wrap on the gel coat but couldn't get it to stick, the wax made it to slick
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
He didn't have a V230 pattern so dropped our boat off with him for a weekend to have it fit. He should have the V230 pattern now. If you can find someone in the area that doesn't mind him using their boat for day he can make a pattern.
Old     (scott)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-12-2010, 11:34 AM Reply   
My next cover is going to be that Evolution Cover! They fit like a glove!
Old     (black_ops_09)      Join Date: May 2009       09-14-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
Tower Biminis in Ca make great covers also! All custom fitting made from the same material their biminis are in.
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-16-2010, 8:42 AM Reply   
Thanks Jason. Any pics of yours?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-16-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
I'll second Tower Biminis covers, had one on my last boat. I'm having them make one for the LSV soon as well. They're sunbrella.