Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-25-2010, 8:04 AM Reply   
Just kidding,Lets just get this out there early this year while everyone is on the couch and watching. TELL YOUR FRIENDS..NO POWER TURNS DUDE..NOT COOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzvOsvrhR4M
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-25-2010, 8:07 AM Reply   
NO POWER TURNS ON OUR LAKES!!!

But we will ride double ups all day and pretend like we're not being hypocrites!
Old     (andrewjet)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-25-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
LMAO..no kidding Jeff. Do as we say..not as we do.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-25-2010, 8:24 AM Reply   
They are OUR lakes. We have more of a right to them than skiiers, tubers and surfers..

Do as we say! NO POWER TURNING ON OUR LAKES!

;-)
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-25-2010, 8:27 AM Reply   
at least there is a point to double ups.

no point to power turning - just ignorance.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Driving a double up in the correct location won't cause what a normal power turn will.

Do you normally just throw double ups in the middle of the lake or at the ends? I doubt many "experienced" riders/drivers are just throwing a double up in the middle and not at the ends of their paths.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-25-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
"at least there is a point to double ups."

sure. to a small percentage of boats on the lake. power turning is useless, but double ups are just as useless to those who are not hitting them.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-25-2010, 8:51 AM Reply   
Power turns do not have a purpose other than getting back to your rider faster. If you don't need to get back to your rider fast, you just shouldn't do it. If you do need to get back to your rider quickly, then go for it. If someone wants to drive double ups (or tube circles, figure 8 water skiing, etc.) because they find it fun, then more power to them. In fact, if they get a lot of joy out of doing power turns themselves, then go for it. However, most people don't get any joy out of power turns, they just mistakenly think that it's the best way to turn their boat around.

Nobody is suggesting a law to outlaw power turns and nobody is suggesting wakeboarding doesn't jack up the water. The author of this post simply suggested we educate others in an effort to reduce the number of power turns we all have to deal with. Please don't turn the argument into something it is not.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-25-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Amen, David!
Old     (aaudii5150)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-25-2010, 11:16 AM Reply   
Here we go again...... Oh ya BTW NO POWER TURNS!!!
Old     (bakes5)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-25-2010, 8:28 PM Reply   
I want those 26 seconds of my life back watching that video before I fell asleep. You guys should pitch this to the producers of the "Lecture Films" series
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
We had a old man doing power turns in the middle of our cove and when we politaly asked him if he would stop and just stay on one side of the cove he started cussing us and told us " I thought you wakeboarders liked waves, well if you dont go out to the middle of the lake!' And that was after we were riding there first when he just came in and started being a dip****.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-29-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
YOu guys should be posting a link to this video in the boat section of craigslist for every city. I will post it up in Austin.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2010, 11:23 AM Reply   
Can someone make a PG rated version. I really do want to spread the word locally, but need a better approach than cussing and calling people names. I like the vid, the idea, and agree with it, just know realistically I will have much better influence with a lighter approach.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-29-2010, 11:33 AM Reply   
This video had good intent but when it comes down to it, we need a much better one.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       03-29-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
2010 has officially been kicked off with the first power turns thread. Next up is the don't surf near where we ride thread.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-30-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
Why does everyone hate on others having fun! I know flat water is the ultimate, but if you think you have anymore right to the flat water then anyone else your crazy. Tubers ruin it for wakeboarders,wakeboarders ruin it for waterskiers, and surfers seem to ruin it for everyone. Just try and be nice and take turns if thats what it takes. We can all get along if we all communicate a little bit better. Don't be comin at someone with an attitude. When the skiers give me an attitude it makes me wan't to ruin their water even more. If they come and say hey can we run a few sets before you ride, then i would be glad to share the water.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-30-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
I think what gets experienced tow-sports enthusiasts is powerturners that are doing it unknowingly, without understanding the effects. If they know, 9/10 they'd be cool & not powerturn for the benefit of themselves and everyone else. Its the communicating that is usually the problem. No one wants to be told what to do by a stranger in another boat.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       03-30-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
no problem sharing, but when someone power turns or there is 1 boat surfing in 1 stretch of a run - there is NO SHARING - there will be rollers the entire way down the slough for every single boat to bounce up and down on their run.

We share with skiers, and tons of wake boats all day - even tubers. You let them pass, their rollers will dissappear in about 15 seconds and youve got good water. No problem.

When someone power turns, or surfs - the rollers dont dissapper - they are there the entire way down. Thats not sharing. Thats the issue.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-30-2010, 3:59 PM Reply   
"Why does everyone hate on others having fun!"

How is it fun to power turn?

And next time you observe a boat that is zigzagging down the lake with a tuber behind, look at the driver. 90% of the time they are looking back at the tuber and not what or who is in front of them. That puts peoples lives in danger (To quote Col Nathan Jessup).
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2010, 3:37 AM Reply   
How crowded are your lakes? I have never had a problem with anyone power turning or surfing... Come ride western Oklahoma, the biggest issue we have is the wake created by the occcasional trolling motor on a bass boat...
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-31-2010, 4:06 AM Reply   
lol, Matt! Sounds like you don't get to experience the frustration that most of us do.

Here in Florida, I see more "wakeboard" boats doing power turns than any other type of boat. It drives me insane, but as others have said, it's a public waterway & it doesn't do much good to complain. I've never had any issues with people driving double ups 'cause if they are skilled enough to drive/hit them, they are respectful enough to do them at the end of their line.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-31-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
way off topic but did anybody watch the next vid.on the right side of the screen of the girl wow she get jacked up while wakeboarding. Sorry way off topic.