Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 04, 2003

Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-23-2003, 9:34 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a 2002 super air with a back seat that is split into three separate seats that lift up like the observers seat? Why did they only make a few of these? I found a new one from last year on close out. What is a fair price, it has everything except for center tank that can be added. thanks
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-23-2003, 11:23 PM Reply   
I believe the 2002s started out with 4 clamshell seats until customers found out. Having the rear seats clamshell is probably no such a bad deal.

It is a shame that they did not change the observer seat to a non-clamshell seat or a clamshell with lift-back comb seat.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-23-2003, 11:33 PM Reply   
The rear seating was too time consuming and problematic. Because of the length of the hinge used for the seat back, they had problems with things coming out of alignment.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2003, 12:04 AM Reply   
Jason, do you have any idea why CC moved to 4 clamshells for 2002?

Also, do you happen to have any idea why they keep the clamshell on the observer seat? Is it for ski storage? Wide access to the overlapping ski locker? A common seat used in their ski boats?

Or is it so you have to stop the boat and ask people to move out of the way to get into it and realign and stack all of the contents so that you can close it? j/k
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-24-2003, 12:49 AM Reply   
I think they originally thought it was a good idea because it gave you access to certain storage areas without having to make everyone on the back seat get up.

As far as why the observer's seat is a clamshell, I have no clue. If I had to guess, I would say they sat down and decided on the most logical approach for the observer's seat, and then did the exact opposite of that. It's just like using tape to cover your gel work and add the third accent (WTF??).

Honestly though, I think it's a throw back to their tradition for lack of a better word. It's been done that way as long as I can remember, so they haven't bothered to change it. While I agree it's not very logical, it does provide good access to that storage compartment (no more sliding in on your stomach to get something at the back).
Old    kschroeder            02-24-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
I have an '02 super with the three back lifting seats. I wouldn't pay much over $44K for it.
Old     (cryptic22)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-24-2003, 7:13 AM Reply   
I almost ended up with a '02 SAN with the 3 back lifting seats. I wasn't a big fan of that configuration, however I think they have more storage room than the current configuration.

This boat had 0 hours and the dealer was asking $42,900 with flight clips and a tandem axle trailer.
Old    dholio            02-24-2003, 5:18 PM Reply   
Hey Jason (mr. know it all?)
They do the pinstripe for looks and for ease of fixing things up. Ever try to blend the two gel coat colors together? Why does it bother you so bad? Or try to repair a pin stripe that is molded into the gelcoat?? good luck. Pretty hard to do. The reason they changed the back seat was because of the hinge. I like the new set up but had no problem with the old one. The lift up observer seat is better than the other styles. Much easier to get things in and out of there.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2003, 5:51 PM Reply   
DLJ, you like the SAN observer clamshell over what you would find in the wakesetter or xstar?
Old    dholio            02-24-2003, 9:16 PM Reply   
Yeah I do. I think it is alot easier to put things in and out of it. What is everyone elses complaint to it? Closing it? I personally favor that over alot of the other designs I have seen.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2003, 10:27 PM Reply   
DLJ, we are day trippers on the delta. We leave in the AM and return in the PM. 4 to 6 people and all of their stuff.

Wet stuff goes in the back above the sacks (vests, shorties, wetsuits). Important stuff goes under the side seats (bumpers, tie lines, wake ropes, handles). Food and drinks are in a cooler behind the drivers seat (adds an extra seat too). And, dry stuff goes behind the observer seat (packs, towels, sweatshirts, sack of snacks).

All day long, people go in/out of the observer seat through the observer back-rest on my VLX. They do this while the sit on the observer seat and the boat is underway. I did spend a day out in my boat with some folks who insisted on throwing their packs, helmets, gloves, wetsuits, vests, and towels on the floor for people to walk on all day. This made complete sense after I learned that they were former SAN owners.
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-24-2003, 11:09 PM Reply   
Whoa DJL, I didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I'm just sharing some info that was requested.

Do you honestly believe they do it for, "looks (???) and ease of fixing things up?" Come on, have you ever looked under the pin stripe? They do it because it doesn't require as much time when they lay up the gel in the mold. To their benefit, until the economy slowed down they were ready to make the move to all in the mold graphics at the new plant.

Just for the record, I think Nautique makes an incredible boat, and every manufacture has their idiosyncrasies. Compared to the rest of the industry, the issues we're picking apart are relatively minor, but in the search for the perfect boat, they're issues non-the-less.
Old     (tennyson0)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-25-2003, 12:27 PM Reply   
Jason, Well said.

Dane, I can see your point about the seat but I have never heard anyone complain about the clamshell after they rode behind my SAN. Actually, no one has ever complained about it at all. It may be silly but it certainly doesn't warrant missing the wake by not owning one, IN MY OPINION. Your Wakesetter is a great boat too but I am having a hard time figuring out why you are so turned off by a minor detail in an otherwise great boat.?. Anyways, to each his own, right?!?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-25-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
Chase, it is not like my blood is boiling. Its just my opinion.

My wakesettter is a nice boat and I am very happy with my decision in the spring of 2000 before I knew the term "progressive cut".

If I was to get a boat today, and I did not own a boat, it would be the SAN. IMO, the SAN is the best boat and a simple change from being the perfect boat.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-25-2003, 2:51 PM Reply   
Dane,

It is not often we see someone take off the ownership goggles.

I have often thought that the best advice you can get from a boat owner is when they tell you to buy a boat that they "don't" own.

E.J.

P.S. Hope the recovery is going well.
Old    mtbmudmachine            02-25-2003, 4:17 PM Reply   
To Jump back on the "Pinstripe Issue" for just a second. I am going to replace my Pinstripe (Accent Strip) as Nautique call's it, Next week the Boat's 2 seasons old and it got beat down kind of quick. I see Jason's point the line separating the colors is not that clean. I don't know if they put a "In mold color" it would be better. I have seen Centurions with Metallic stripe in the Gel coat it fades like other things but will not be able to be restored like faded gel coat with a simple color sand and polish, So in some ways the pin stripe works better than the in-mold stripe. Plus you’re able to change the color if you get tired of the Stripe. It thinks there are way better things to complain about in the SAN then the Clamshell. How about little to none when it comes to storage. Nautique are the worst in this department. I guess they were not thinking about day-trippers when the made the boat's. Malibu's and Sanger's have way better storage but you already knew that.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-25-2003, 5:00 PM Reply   
The CC factory rep at the boat show related to me how CC was slow to have a nice trailer because they figured everyone trailered 3 to 5 miles to the nearest lake like everyone does in florida.

If the SAN hull is one color, then is there no need for the Accent Stripe (masking tape).

Any coincidence that Malibus and Sangers have great storage the the companies are located in CA?
Old    chase            02-25-2003, 5:56 PM Reply   
That's a good point Dane! We hardly ever get further than 10 minutes from the house when riding and this seems to be the norm, more than not, in Florida. The storage issue rarely comes up for us so it's not at the top of our list. But even with two kids we find the room!
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-27-2003, 6:57 PM Reply   
I just bought a new 2002 SAN TE but it's still at the dealer under shrink wrap. I don't even know which rear seating configuration my new boat has. Sheesh.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-28-2003, 12:47 PM Reply   
Alex, how much was it? what options did it have? I'm thinking seriously about buying a san, but cannot decide between that and a vlx. The new way they are doing the back seat is a little strange with only a small piece of plastic velcro holding the cushion in place. I kind of thought the clamshell seats were neat, and it seams like there's more storage that way. but nobody else thinks it's a good idea
Old    david_fletcher            02-28-2003, 6:38 PM Reply   
Alex can you email me the out the door price you paid, cause I to am looking to buy one and want to know about what to pay.