Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-29-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
I am winterizing my boat and it looks like my front bag was leaking where the drain pump goes into it. It looks like the pump is threaded but the bag isn't so it's just pushed in there and held on with a hose clamp. Both pumps are visible in the access hatch next to the drivers seat. The fill pump is connected to a valve and through hull. Then a hose goes from that up forward (I'm guessing it fills towards the front of the bag). The drain pump is held into the back of the bag with a hose clamp and then a hose goes out the side of the boat.

I want to remove the bag because it's wet and nasty underneath it and I want to clean it out. I also want to clean out the inside of the bag because we were at a lake with milfoil and I don't want to spread it.

Anyway, I disconnected the drain pump and tugged on the bag and it seems like it's actually attached to the boat in the front somehow. The problem is that the place where it is is too small for me to go in. The only way I can even see in there is to lay on my back and let me head fall into the access hole. I don't think there's a way to lift the floor up or anything, it looks like it's made of wood either covered in fiberglass/resin or maybe painted.

Does anyone know if there's a reasonable way to get this out?

Also related to this, I was using my shop vac to suck water out of the bilge (from when I drained the block). From the engine compartment going forward there's a bulkhead with a brass hole in it. I left the vacuum going for quite a while and it was still pulling out water. I wonder if there's a way to get under the floor of the center of the boat or something? I can't find any access hatch at all. From under the back seat I can see the very rear edge of the gas tank but nothing forward of that. Then going all the way forward the next access hatch I can find is where the front ballast is. Is there a way to get under there somehow?

Finally, I'm curious about the drain hole in this boat. The drain is on the very back but it's a couple inches up from the very bottom of the boat so I've never had anything drain out of there. Even if I leave it open on my way home from the lake, going up hills, etc., I never get anything out of it. But there is still water in the bottom of the boat. My mastercraft prostar 190 had the drain in the middle right under the direct drive engine and it was the lowest place in the hull so all the water would always drain. With this boat I've always got some water in there, it would be nice to get rid of it.
Old     (mach90)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-30-2011, 6:08 AM Reply   
hope this helps ...

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783626

it's hard to let go of the conveniences and "the way things were" factor of direct drives, however for me personally I've found although it's valuable information, it will do nothing but cause hours of spent frustration to compare the DD to the VDrive. For maintenance and skiing I miss my dd ski tug every day. However for family time and spending quality time with kids etc, I love my vdrive barge.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       09-30-2011, 7:06 AM Reply   
saberworks, mine is the same way, but I dont care. if you ever have any oil at all in the bilge it tends to slosh back in forth through the hull. The brass hole you are talking about just allows water to traverse the hull. Theres another one behind the bag you are trying to get out. I once parked the boat on a hill and rinsed it out by running water from the front ballast bag area let it run out the back of the boat... I dont think there is a way to get it 100% out - unless you just leave the access panels off and wait for evaporation to do its thing.

The muck under the front bag wont hurt anything...
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-30-2011, 7:19 AM Reply   
Thanks for the link, dtc, it makes sense.

The muck under the bag is wet and the boat has already been sitting w/out use for a month and it's still wet. I don't want to come in to a moldy mess next year which is why I want to clean as much water out as I can. Thanks for the replies.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2011, 7:21 PM Reply   
Pull the plug on the ramp if you can. There it is steep enough to get all the water out. Also make sure all 3 plugs are out. One in front bulkhead behind bow sac, one in bulkhead under v-drive and the tramsom plug. To pull the front bag is a bit of a chore unless you install quick connect fittings like I did in my boat and others. To take it out undo the rear part of the sac then go up front and look for the overflow hose. Pull on it to get to the clamp and you should be able to then pull the sac out from the rear. If I get a chance I will get some pics of how I do them to make them easily removeable with quick connects. I can give you links for the parts too.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2011, 7:23 PM Reply   
P.S. Some boats dont have a middle plug, just the front and transom but check to make sure.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2011, 7:31 PM Reply   
If for some reason dont have an access hole up front under the cushion then the above mentioned link is how you will have to do it. I cut my overflow hose about a foot from the front of the sack and thats where one of the quick connects goes.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2011, 7:33 PM Reply   
To put it back in I just fold the sac in thirds lenghtwise and push it in the compartment and the one foot section of hose is always sitting right at the access hole.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
I would get some pics right now but am leaving for the weekend to go ride the 2.0 cables in Minden Nevada! Ha
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       09-30-2011, 7:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info I appreciate it. There are no plugs in my front two holes, only the very back of the boat. I should have realized they were the right size for plugs, I'll just pick some up. I pull the plug at the ramp but no water ever comes out, even though it's there in my bilge plain as day. As I mentioned, the only way I can figure to get it out is to use my shop vac.

Are you saying you have an access hatch under one of the front seats? Mine doesn't have that at all, it's carpeted wood floor all the way under all the seats.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-30-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
Under the bow cushions?
Old     (SangerTom)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-30-2011, 11:20 PM Reply   
I have an 05 V210. There is a hose that runs under the starboard bow cushion to the locker. I've never disconnected it though.

I use a shop vac and vac out all the water, then wipe down as much of the bag as possible. If I need to, I will duct tape a rag to a short stick and wipe down further. Remember to leave the lid off while storing.

I also buy some Dryell - its absorbs moisture in the air. You can get it a Target. I put 3 containers in the boat - one in the bow area, one near the captains chair and one back near the rear seat. I prop the rear lockers open with a foam noodle and then cover the boat. You will be amazed at how much water those containers collect.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-01-2011, 11:07 PM Reply   
^^^^^^Thats the hose I am talking about. Leave about a foot of it at the front of the bag and cut and install a quick connect then another quick connect at the pump in the rear of the bag and you have easy removal and install.