Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2012, 3:23 AM Reply   
I was watching the Malibu Surfgate teaser a week ago or so, and it said "average time to switch sides, 45 mins". Hmm, not on my boat. We have a simple cross link system, its just a Johnson reversible pump mounted in the engine compartment and then plumbed to each rear corner system. If you stop the boat, and hit the switch you get from dialed weight on one side to the other in about 4 minutes, not 45, its pretty cool. Since we have been doing so much hosting, we have gotten in the habit of weighting the regular side even when we are only riding goofy. We do it so that we are in practice for making the best dialed wake on both sides. Also, it has been great practice for the kids and even Thomas is starting to really do great on the regular side. Check out this pic:

So RJ was practicing his hot dog skills on the long board on the regular side and we were going to stop and switch to the goofy side. Dennis said, "Why not just turn the pump on now and then we we move over to the other side and see if RJ can cross over and keep riding?" That sounded like fun. We didn't prepare or anything, just tried it one time, and went from side to side in like 4 seconds. Pretty cool.

Old     (slimjim44)      Join Date: Feb 2009       07-08-2012, 6:55 AM Reply   
Awesome
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-08-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
Don't know where they got 45 min from...that's just bs. Even on my boat with stock everything I can switch in about 15 min (not that I need to cuz we're all goofy riders).
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-08-2012, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
Don't know where they got 45 min from...that's just bs.
Dont know either. I can switch 2,400lbs in mine in under 7 min. With that said, cool how they do it.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       07-08-2012, 8:31 AM Reply   
I am fairly sure Robert has extra pumps that just transfer the water from one side to the other on top of the regular fill pumps.I had a chance to spend some time in and behind his boat at the west coast open and it is impressive.
Old     (piper907)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-08-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
That is sooo sick! I have wanted to try a side to side transfer for a while but I think it takes a pretty special ballast setup to get the results that you guys did.
super impressive... next step is a backside 360 transfer
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-08-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
ragboy, i appreciate all the vids you post, but man, I rarely actually play one because they are all so long. I had to watch three minutes of other stuff to finally get to the five seconds of money shot. You should really consider keeping your vids to a minute or less.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2012, 1:21 PM Reply   
I got the 45 mins from the episode 1 video here:

Although, I just rewatched it, it said 40 mins, not 45, my bad. "Average time to switch activities, 26 mins" and "Average time to switch sides wakesurfing, 40 mins".

My Z3 has the stock pro ballast system with custom larger sacs in the rear corners. If I switched from side to side just as it is stock, its about 10 mins, which would have been just fine for me, but I wanted to make it faster so we could tow a competition. The only upgrade I have is 1 johnson reversible pump in the engine compartment plumbed to the 2 corner bags. There is a button under the dash that you hit to move the water from one side to the other. The other nice thing about it is that you can do it at any speed. So imagine balancing for wakeboarding, you could switch it back and forth while at 24 mph to get the weight perfect. Anyway, there are no other extra pumps, just that one.

@shawn I hear ya, I do sometimes, but we have a large number of subscribers that watch our videos like podcasts, 3-4 minutes has been the sweetspot for that. There is no question I can be long winded, so I accept the constructive criticism. I am getting caught up with tons of video and do plan on doing a few long, and then a few quickies.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       07-09-2012, 7:30 AM Reply   
I cant wait to find out what this surf gate is... from the video the wave doesn't look that great.
Old     (BlairJ)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-09-2012, 7:43 AM Reply   
40 minutes? Are they bailing the water by hand?

I can switch sides in under 10 and use stock ballast + manual bags and pump.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-09-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Maybe they factored in beer in that 40 min?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 11:12 AM Reply   
They use a spork for the transfer, takes a while. ;-)
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       07-09-2012, 3:59 PM Reply   
My old vride took 20 minutes if everything wen't perfect with an external pump. Not everyone rolls with the sort of human ballast that ragboy does.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-09-2012, 4:58 PM Reply   
In Episode 2 is says and shows seconds not Minutes. When the rider switches sides while under power
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2012, 5:09 PM Reply   
@shawndoggy That is very true, no doubt, but in most boats the difference between a clean wake from side to side is more like 1k, not 650 between dennis and I. At least my previous boats would not have worked this easy. Either way, it was just for fun, and you can tell from the video that we were genuinely surprised.

If I didn't have the crossover pump, it would take 10 mins, my RZ2 would take like 17 minutes, since you had to completely fill and empty about 1500 lbs.