Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
..we ride in places sometimes where the weeds are 1 to 2 feet below the surface....sometimes right on top.......anyone have any experience with this and how does it affect the boat. weeds get caught on boat fins or anything like that?
Old     (will5150)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-16-2007, 8:58 AM Reply   
Just when you're going slow- we get weeds wrpaeed around the prop and it can create a lot of vibration. When this happens, put the boat in reverse and jump on the gas a bit- it shakes them off and you're fine.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-16-2007, 9:48 AM Reply   
Make darn sure you have a filter on the inlet side before the raw water pump. They are about $20.00 plus a couple of fittings.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-16-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
peter....is that filter inline or something on the outside of the hull where the water comes in. I am not familiar with the water intake ...is it under the hull and faces forward???
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-18-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
Avoid the weeds if at all possible.

If you are going fast and pass through a small patch of weeds they will usually just get chewed up and not cause a problem.

At idle speeds or attempting to pass through a large patch will often cause the weeds to wrap around the prop and/or rudder. The prop doesn't work so well when it becomes a large rotating ball of weeds.

Sometimes a short burst of reverse will clear the weeds but I have had times when I had to dive under and pull the weeds free of the prop.

What really sucks is when you drift into a large patch of weeds, then your prop gets all fouled, and then you can't get out of the weeds because the wind keeps pushing you back.

Like Peter said, be careful about the weeds clogging your water intake. I have sucked up weeds and tiny floating debris and had it clog the intake at the transmission oil cooler.

Rod
Old     (dangerboy)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
One thing you need to look at is your water temp i picked up something last summer and was not watching the gauges...............overheated motor.....so i now have a CC 2001 with a new motor with less than 20 hrs plus lost 2 months while boat was down