Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    cobius            08-31-2005, 5:56 PM Reply   
Does anyone know if Monster Towers are made in China, or somewhere else overseas? Not really a huge issue to me, but it seems like it from their welds/construction methods. Anyways, my point is I just got some of their board racks, and the quick release feature is a good idea, but it seems to be a weak point of the design. The stud upon which the racks mount rotates in the collar. I tightened the two allen screws as tight as possible with an allen key and a cheater bar for extra leverage, but with two wakeboards and the boat bouncing in medium chop at around 30, the collar rotates. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking of switching to a diff. brand. Can anyone recommend another rack for Monster Towers?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-31-2005, 6:07 PM Reply   
Absolutely no trouble with my quick release stud rotating even with a 5'6" wakesurfer hanging off it. Call Monster, maybe you have some that came off a bad production run? They are very service oriented.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-31-2005, 7:43 PM Reply   
operator error.
Old    walt            08-31-2005, 7:55 PM Reply   
No problem with mine either after two years. Call Monster and the'll make it right.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-31-2005, 8:21 PM Reply   
Sounds like the clamp or mating post has an issue we need to solve, give us a call at 877-77-Tower and we'll get you fixed up.
Old    chris_hargis            08-31-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Mine rotates with boards on it, but I figure it is just that I don't have it tight enough. Too many broken screws has brought out a fear of overtightening it, but I will overcome and adapt!!
Old    cobius            09-01-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
No, its not operator error, thankyou...Chris, thanks for substantiating my claim...I'll see what happens when I call Monster Tower. Maybe I'll have to "adapt."
Old    chris_hargis            09-05-2005, 5:32 PM Reply   
Ok, now this is not a slam on Monster Towers, I am very impressed with the rack, and had the towers been out when I got my joystick on my old boat, I certainly would have gotten a monster instead. And from what I have seen here on this board, Monster stands behind its products and go out of their way to take care of their customers. I just put a folded piece of sand paper between the collars and the tower and the problem is solved. I tested it this weekend in some pretty rough stuff and it didn't move an inch. I still love the rack, and may evenytually get a ski rack for the other side, and yes, I will get a monster ski rack.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2005, 7:33 AM Reply   
Give us a call at 877-778-6937. Last year we got a batch of collar inserts that were the wrong material and did not grip correctly. We re-ran the part and I thought I had the wrong material parts destroyed. My first thought is we need to send new inserts to you.

I got a rope caught on a rack last year and the fork bent instead of the rack moving so it should grip and hold fine without rotation. Our jobs not done yet.

Give us a call and Tom, Brad or Chris will get you taken care of.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-06-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
The finish on my Monster racks and my anodized tower are all very smooth. It's a lot to ask that they don't move on these surfaces. I took some fine emery cloth to my tower under the rack bushings and now the racks stay put. The mirror also moved a bit on the finger of the arm, a little roughing of that solved that problem as well.

When these racks were on my powder coated monster tower they didn't budge.

I believe Cobius' issue was between the clamp and the quick release stud? I have never had any issue with this on my racks. Even when I put the boards into a tree branch in the campsite it just rotated the whole rack on the tower, luckily nothing broke on the racks or boards.
Old    chris_hargis            09-06-2005, 8:32 PM Reply   
I will try to give you a call in the next few days if I get home early enough. I am in Oklahoma, so we are an hour behind you in GA. I know I won't be home till late tomorrow, so it will probably be Thursday before I call. Who should I ask for? E-mail me at home if you don't want to use names here. cghargis@cableone.net
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-06-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Polished towers are much smoother and dont have the extra thickness of the powerdcoat, but still should grip like a . . .

Season is over, I'm in the dark room in the corner "CADdin" up new stuff for 2006 but Tom, Chris and Brad are getting, really, really slow now. Feel free to call them anytime, they need something to do!
Old    cobius            09-18-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
Yes, my issue was between the quick release stud, and the clamp that mounts onto the tower. The stud would rotate in the clamp in choppy water, even under herculean tightening with a cheater bar on the two set screws. I have yet to call you guys (monster tower) to see whats up, I've been on vacation. I will call this week. I have tightened the @#$% out of these things to the point where I don't think the screws will come back out without cross threading the aluminum clamps. But, if this works, it works. I'm going out again next weekend.

On a side note, this thread was not meant to slam monster tower at all. I am very pleased with the design, and ease of function (folding, etc) that the tower provides, not to mention the cleanliness of the installation, especially with the bimini. I would definitely buy another one if the boat didn't come with a tower.