Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 12:39 PM Reply   
Ok I have been riding at 80 to 83 feet now. I have a 2001 SAN. The speed has been bumped up I think the wake has gotten a little smaller. What weight are others running in there boats. I wonder if I should add more weight or have I fallen (off my rocker again)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2005, 12:44 PM Reply   
Wake will be a little smaller but it should be a little firmer too. How much weight are you currently running?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
well our rule is typically if you add more weight you have to increase speed and rope length to keep you in your comfort level your already were accustomed too.
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
stock then extra 300 in the back and a 550 in the ski locker.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
We've been riding 80-83 feet also.... J-rod @ 82, me at 80. His wake is definitely not small, but I hear what you are saying. You just need some more weight, or slow yourself back down and ride a shorter line. I've debated the speed versus weight topic before, contemplating whether or not you spend more time in the air when you are riding faster with a longer rope or not... My conclusion: I kinda doubt it. There are days when I go just as big at 75 as I do at 82/83'. I usually ride a longer line when there is a ton of weight in the boat, otherwise I slow it down a bit to get the most out of the wake.

Just my opinion.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-22-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Evans got it right thats what we do..i typically ride at 75 all the time but will shorten the rope on smaller wakes and slow the boat down but on bigger wakes i speed up a bit and go 75 ,however 80ft behind a SAN isnt a new concept ,ive done it before..its a narrow wake that pops you straight up..

so evans advice is good shorten the rope and slow down or add more weight...

Old     (habcaw_creek)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-22-2005, 1:46 PM Reply   
whats the point in going faster if you want your wake bigger .so your gonna put tons of weight in a boat just to go faster and have the same size wake?also,if you put weight in your boat it usually washes it out,so if you put the line farther back wouldnt you be launching off whitewash?
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
ellit, I just enjoy the felling of a nice poked out grab that far out. It seems that I need to speed the boat up a little to do spins. Inverts are fun. But there is nothing like the feeling of a grabbed 360 that far out. Even I do think you have a little more time in the air even if you do seed the boat up. I just wanted to know what everyone else was doing that far out. I used to ride at like 65 to 70 but I am slowy changing my style.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2005, 2:41 PM Reply   
"if you put weight in your boat it usually washes it out,so if you put the line farther back wouldnt you be launching off whitewash?"

If you are riding behind an I/O maybe. More weight = cleaner wake behind my boat.

I don't know that we always go faster when riding a longer line. The point is to increase the distance between the wakes so that wake to wake tricks are bigger and you have more time. So, you shouldn't always be increasing the speed when you ride longer, otherwise you're defeating the purpose. I like how the wake is harder at 23-24 mph though, and how there is less resistance and line tension. 80 feet is usually perfect at that speed for me.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-22-2005, 2:49 PM Reply   
Squid more speed equals smaller wake. I actually slow down to spin so I dont have to rush it as much. It also shoots me more up than out.

I can't even remember what exactly is in the boats these days but a good setup seems to be about 500 in the bow, about 100 on top of each rear tank (larger tanks) and a 500 sack on the floor in front of the back seat. We usually have about 2-4 people in the boat. The more people, the better.

I ride at 80 feet but unless the boat is really loaded down I can't ride it any longer because it feels small and lippy.

If someone could make a wake that combines the shape and size of a SAN at 75' but the width of 85' I would be one happy dude!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       03-22-2005, 2:59 PM Reply   
My kid and his freind put 550 all the way up front plus a 350 in each side in back lockers plus stock ballace in 2003 SAN. OH plus one 150lb bucket of cement to move around depending on how many people are with them. He rides at 80 plus the handle.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2005, 3:04 PM Reply   
Pond scum: STOP TYPING IN ALL CAPS. It's really getting annoying.

Instead of acting like you're 12 years old, why don't you tell me what you disgree with?
Old    pond_scum            03-22-2005, 3:09 PM Reply   
First off I ride at about 88ft at about 28mph and my wake has no wash
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-22-2005, 3:14 PM Reply   
J-ROD I ALSO THINK YOU ARE WRONG, MORE WEIGHT = CLEANER WAKE, BLAHHHHH. lol

Just messing with you Rod, I agree more weight does make my wake a lot cleaner. The farther back I can ride, the better in my opinion.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2005, 3:51 PM Reply   
"First off I ride at about 88ft at about 28mph and my wake has no wash"

Good for you. What does that have to do with anything I've said?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-22-2005, 4:07 PM Reply   
and you sound ignorant.

You're right I am just a weekend warrior. During the week I'm piling up money to pay for the things I enjoy. So a weekend warrior is a bad thing? What are you?

Keep posting your events on the general discussion board. It's funny to see them deleted.

(Message edited by jarrod on March 22, 2005)
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
pond scum,where do you ride at?
What kind of boat has no wash at 88ft @ 28mph?
Just curious.....
Old    walt            03-22-2005, 4:19 PM Reply   
Do they make main lines or handles in 3 or 8 foot lengths ? (88ft)
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 4:27 PM Reply   
pond, I don't get people like you. This site is to get info from others and share info with them. To better our selves and help better others. All you have done is put others down and made a fool of yourself. The wake world is small and you will soon find that out the hard way.
Old     (thor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-22-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
Pond Scum you sound like a nice kid. When the weather starts to warm up and I start taking my kids out with me again, maybe you can join us. I'm sure they'd enjoy your company.
Are your parents taking you to WSSR? I might bring my kids with me that weekend as well.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2005, 4:50 PM Reply   
Ha, ha.... He must think he's Randy Harris. He's the only guy I know pimp enough to ride at 28 mph. What's the point anyway.

Yeah, show at WSSR, if it's cool with your folks. I wanna see what 88' and 28 mph look like.

Walt... You can get ropes with 3' take offs now. The accurate ropes that are 80' have 3' take offs, that's why I said we ride at 82' feet. Kinda sounds dumb, but its true. We ride either 79' or 82' feet with the handle.

J-Rod is definitely a weekend warrior. Ha, ha... One with a handful of really big, styled out moves.

On the topic of line length: I guess I forgot to add a few things. It definitely depends on the boat and how it's weighted, and with the right boat, I agree you do get more hang time. Having a longer line allows you to accelerate more toward the wake, since the arc is wider. With the wrong boat (ie, mine) the wake just gets washed out without more weight and speed.

Again... my .02
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-22-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
Even what kind of ropes are they I like that idea. I have a link that I turned in to like 3 feet to help me get used to riding longer.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-22-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
I think most of the new accurate lines are like that. J-Rod and I both have the Catalyst mainline. It's okay, but tangles easily. Now they have that new mainline that is poly coated. It looks pretty good and wont tangle if you try. Accurate makes one and straightline makes one... I think the straightline one is better.
Old    twisted            03-22-2005, 5:07 PM Reply   
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       03-22-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
TRUEISM!!!!!
Old    twisted            03-22-2005, 5:15 PM Reply   
Sorry...My bad. Didn't have anything useful to contribute but this pic of pond scum out with us last year.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-23-2005, 7:40 AM Reply   
Nice!

Thanks for the support guys

Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-23-2005, 9:12 AM Reply   
"Mike what kind of boat do you ride behind and where"
Tige and the delta
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-23-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
(Not that you guys need any help, this is just too funny.) Pond scum, i guess you need like 4000 pounds in your boat at that speed, right.

Kevin and Becky, LMAO this pic must have been after you told him you only had 80 feet of rope with you at the time. check his profile. 22 stupid ass posts in one day. someone has too much time on their hands.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-23-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
Back to answering the question.

I have a 2001 SAN (it's for sale, just bought a 226) and it throws a monster wake. I ride between 23 & 25 mph at 80'. I believe MOST (not all) people are doing themselves a disservice by extending the line much beyond 80 feet.
Here's how I weight the boat.

Rear Storage Compartments: 700 lbs (400 lbs stock ballast + 300 lbs lead plates)
Under Rear Seats: 200 lbs (lead plates & bars)
Floor of boat: 350 lbs (lead plates and duffel bags filled w/ spent ammunition)
Ski Locker: 650 lbs (lead plates)
In Walkway to Bow: 200 lbs (duffel bags filled w/ spent ammunition)
Under Bow Seats: 300 lbs (lead plates and duffel bags filled w/ spent ammunition)

Total: 2,400 lbs

Note 1: We ride in a 6' deep salt water lagoon, which results in a smaller wake. Whenever we transfer over to deeper fresh water, we get rid of about 400 lbs, but the boat still sits uncomfortably deep in the water and the wake is bigger than it ever is on the lagoon.

Note 2: A "650 lb" Fat Sac never seems to come close to weighing the same as 650 lbs of lead. My guess is that most water bags end up weighing about 60%-70% of what they state.
Old    walter            03-23-2005, 7:45 PM Reply   
Matt

I think you are right on with actual weight of sacs. I found this in another post.

KGB bag: 20 Gallons x 8lbs per gallon = 160 lbs Rear tanks: 23 Gallons x 8 lbs per gallon = 184 lbs (each) Total for a 2004 X2 = 528 lbs

I believe it is advertised as 900 lbs.

Old     (gary_in_ia)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-23-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
I think the advertised weights for sacs are when they are filled with heavy water(D2O). HA!
Old    dragonforce32            03-29-2005, 8:19 PM Reply   
Ok boys. I ride at 80' out and my speed is 21.7 on the wakeboard pro. 2004 super air team edition. I love it and get plenty of pop and will stay in the air for quite some time. Tha is with the ballast tanks full and two or three adults in the boat. Feels great to me.