Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2010, 6:33 AM Reply   
Anyone on here have a new Tundra? I pulled the trigger on a Black 07 Tundra SR5 this morning. 6500 miles (no that's not a typo!). Drove the new Ford, new GM and this 2.5 year old Tundra blew them away.

I know this is the diesel crowd, but thought I'd see if anyone else is rollin around in a new Tundra?
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-09-2010, 7:14 AM Reply   
Roughly 1098430943 folks on here have the new tundra. My best friend has one and we tow the boat with it pretty often. We picked it up in Boise and drove it to Denver. It is a great truck and the only truck I would consider swapping my Avalanche for.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-09-2010, 8:11 AM Reply   
bought mine in 07... only truck i would have without a diesel... love it... and who ever says its not American why don't they drive over to Indiana and see the plant where they are made then go drive to which "american" brand and try to find where there built because it will be either mexico or Canada
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-09-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
I am very happy with my 2010!

Got 9 MPG pulling the boat, but has plenty of power. I was able to pass semi trucks on steep hills no problem.

Last edited by talltigeguy; 08-09-2010 at 8:38 AM. Reason: .
Old     (rockrig)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-09-2010, 9:43 AM Reply   
Nice truck, and great low miles, Toyota makes a great product and is a good company, when they had to halt production temporarily this year at two plants, one in Indiana and one in San Antonio for 14 weeks, they still paid the workers full wages.

BTW - I have a Ford F350 diesel, all Ford Superduty trucks are built in Louisville Kentucky, and all Ford F150's are built in Claycomo Missouri.
Old     (bennn)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-09-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
congrats on the new ride.. my neighbor has one and loves it!
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2010, 10:08 AM Reply   
Just stopped by the dealership to look the truck over. It had some scratches on it from what appears the previous owners drove it through some brush... It looked a lot better but I wasn't happy with one side so he sent it back to the detail shop for more polishing no questions asked... Picking up after work, pretty fired up! Hope I got a good price, $26,500 out the door...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
I pull with with a Sequoia that has the same 5.7 liter engine. I get 12 to 13 mpg at 70-75 mph, 400lbs of torque on a gas engine does just fine towing these light boats.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
bought mine in 07... only truck i would have without a diesel... love it... and who ever says its not American why don't they drive over to Indiana and see the plant where they are made then go drive to which "american" brand and try to find where there built because it will be either mexico or Canada
Ya mean like Kentucky is now in Mexico or is it Canada?

Yes, American workers do build those trucks but the profits do not stay here.

Congrats on the new truck, it looks sharp.
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-09-2010, 12:31 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeach View Post
Hope I got a good price, $26,500 out the door...
I am not really sure who got the good deal on this one, you or the dealer? Seems pretty high for whats a 3 year old, almost 4 year old truck (despite its mileage) especially in these economic times. Heck, I paid less than that for a brand new 4x4 Dodge Ram 1500 with the off road package and every option except leather and auto dual zone climate control.

Enjoy the truck, but I wouldnt call it a good deal.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-09-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Based on the price of the brand new ones sitting right next to it on the lot and being priced $4K under blue book I was pretty happy with the deal...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-09-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Picking up after work, pretty fired up! Hope I got a good price, $26,500 out the door...
You seem happy with it so I'd say yes you got a good deal.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-09-2010, 12:47 PM Reply   
RM, can't compare it to a Dodge Ram. Go try to find a 4x4 Tundra with less than 30k under $25K with the 5.7L

KState, good buy man!

Last edited by alans; 08-09-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-09-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
New 2010
Attached Images

Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       08-09-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
D. Cooper ~~ Looks like your waiting in line for one of our over crowed lakes here in UT. Pineview???
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-09-2010, 5:06 PM Reply   
talltigeguy and cooper - it looks like you guys have 20"s with larger tires. How does the truck do on long steep grades? Does it keep down shifting? get hot? Please be honest... I have a 5.3 tahoe with 24's and hear people say that its a great tow vehicle when its not - I have to go 45 up hills because the transmission gets hot. I would like to trade in my older tundra and really have no desire to get a diesel.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-09-2010, 6:02 PM Reply   
I paid 28.5 out the door for our 2010 Tundra. Ours is pretty basic but has the tow package, cold weather package, 5.7 engine, and 4wd. If yours is loaded then you got a great deal!

I recently towed mine about 400 miles and got 9.84MPG (hand calculated). It's not good mileage, but the truck had great power and I was very happy with the way it towed. Here is a pic of mine
Attached Images

Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Picked up the truck last night and all I can say is THIS THING IS HUGE! The interior is so spacious its not even funny. I love how tall the truck rides! Spent lots of time last night just crawling around inside and scoping out little cubbies and buttons. Like the truck! post some photos when I get a chance!
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by elc View Post
talltigeguy and cooper - it looks like you guys have 20"s with larger tires. How does the truck do on long steep grades? Does it keep down shifting? get hot? Please be honest... I have a 5.3 tahoe with 24's and hear people say that its a great tow vehicle when its not - I have to go 45 up hills because the transmission gets hot. I would like to trade in my older tundra and really have no desire to get a diesel.
Do you have the tow package that comes with the factory tranny cooler? I have a 5.3 avalanche on 24s and I tow at 5k+ft of elevation and I don't have to go 45 on the hills around here. I do wish I had a 6spd transmission though. I really thought the Tundras would be getting better mpg ratings when towing then what you guys are posting up. I have toyed with the idea of selling the avy and getting a Tundra but there doesn't seem to be much point since you guys are getting the same mpg towing that I am getting.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2010, 8:56 AM Reply   
Thats because they put either 4:10 or a 4:30 rear end in them to get to their towing numbers. KStates is an 07 so he'll have a 4:30.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruizza View Post
Do you have the tow package that comes with the factory tranny cooler? I have a 5.3 avalanche on 24s and I tow at 5k+ft of elevation and I don't have to go 45 on the hills around here. I do wish I had a 6spd transmission though. I really thought the Tundras would be getting better mpg ratings when towing then what you guys are posting up. I have toyed with the idea of selling the avy and getting a Tundra but there doesn't seem to be much point since you guys are getting the same mpg towing that I am getting.
I replaced the factory tranny cooler with a larger one and it still gets hot. I got 6 mpg last time I towed our boat with the tahoe. So 10 mpg is like a hybrid! I tow in fairly harsh conditions (100 + temps, wind and long steep grades) and about 4000 miles a year. Short trips to local lakes the tahoe is great.
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-10-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
I have a 2010 Sequoia with the 5.7 and I tow a Malibu 247.... along with 4 kids and all the stuff that goes with them.

I am a little jealous of the mileage some of the other trucks get while towing, but the power in these trucks is way more than enough. We live in SoCal and tow to Mead/Havasu/Mojave during the summer. There are some pretty steep grades in the middle of the desert that seem to give alot of people trouble. Honestly, I can go almost as fast as I want up them... to a point. On my way back from Havasu last weekend, I was behind a slow vehicle(maybe 55mph) going up a very steep hill and went to pass. I floored it so I wouldn't slow up the rest of traffic. Within maybe 10-20 seconds I was back in the 'slow' lane, going 75mph.

My buddy has a Tundra(same motor) and we did 80MPH towing my boat last year back from Lake Mead.

Never any issues like tranny temps or engine temps.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-10-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibupilot View Post
I have a 2010 Sequoia with the 5.7 and I tow a Malibu 247.... along with 4 kids and all the stuff that goes with them.

I am a little jealous of the mileage some of the other trucks get while towing, but the power in these trucks is way more than enough. We live in SoCal and tow to Mead/Havasu/Mojave during the summer. There are some pretty steep grades in the middle of the desert that seem to give alot of people trouble. Honestly, I can go almost as fast as I want up them... to a point. On my way back from Havasu last weekend, I was behind a slow vehicle(maybe 55mph) going up a very steep hill and went to pass. I floored it so I wouldn't slow up the rest of traffic. Within maybe 10-20 seconds I was back in the 'slow' lane, going 75mph.

My buddy has a Tundra(same motor) and we did 80MPH towing my boat last year back from Lake Mead.
You can consider yourself lucky you made it back in one piece.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-10-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Yeah, not abig fan of towing faster than 65. Going that fast is one thing but stopping that fast (arresting the load) and/or swerving and correcting the load at those speeds could be catostrophic.
Old     (bruizza)      Join Date: May 2009       08-10-2010, 10:38 AM Reply   
also trailer tires are only rated for 65mph.
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-10-2010, 10:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibupilot View Post
I have a 2010 Sequoia with the 5.7 and I tow a Malibu 247.... along

We live in SoCal and tow to Mead/Havasu/Mojave during the summer. There are some pretty steep grades in the middle of the desert that seem to give alot of people trouble.

These are the grades I am talking about. We go to needles about 5 or 6 times a year and havasu the same. I don't need to go 70 or 80 up the grades I am just tired of worrying about trans temps.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-10-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Sounds like you boys out west tow in some serious stuff (grades and temps and weights)... We've got out fair share of hills around SW Missouri...
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-10-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
DFTR Josh - Yep waiting in line at Pineview!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-10-2010, 12:49 PM Reply   
I did not have any overheating issues on my trip to Vegas. There are a few steeper areas along there that are 2-3 miles long continuous. I passed semi trucks with ease. The outside temp was relatively cool that day right at 100 degrees.
Old     (deneng)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-13-2010, 3:44 PM Reply   
Picked up the 2010 and love it. Funny thing is the new Tundra added 20 horsepower and gets 2 mpg better on the highway.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-14-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
The tundra hasn't added any HP to the 5.7 since it's introduction in 07. The mileage ratings haven't changed either. My 2010 has the same HP as the 07-09 Tundras.