Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cmcxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-22-2010, 6:56 PM Reply   
For any of you that have changed out your trailer wheels and tires, are there any special considerations when swapping wheels? I am looking to go to an 18" wheel on my trailer. I know that I am supposed to buy trailer tires, but what about wheels and load ratings? Any advice on where to buy?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-22-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
Get wheels that have holes drilled with exact stud spacing. Some are slotted to fit more hubs and you won't want those.
Bach spacing is important. It's the distance from the face of the inside where the hub mounts to the plane of the inside rim. Stock width rim should have the stock back spacing. If you have clearance on the inside you can get a wider rim and add half the extra width to the back spacing. If you get a wider rim it should not be wider than the face of the tread of the tire.
Most wheels should be able to take the trailer load but check the load rating of the tires and try to get wheels that have a slightly higher rating.
If you are running spokes try to match the number of spokes to the number of studs. ie. 5 or 10, not 4 or 6.
Balance the tires and rims before you put them on the trailer. If you plan to put the trailer in salt water you need rims that can handle the corrosion.

A smaller rim means a larger tire so it holds more air and carries more load. It also makes for more sidewall movement to protect the rim if you clip a curb.
Old     (cmcxstar)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2010, 12:51 PM Reply   
Does anyone know the proper backspacing and lug pattern for a Mastercraft trailer?
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-24-2010, 4:33 PM Reply   
Contact Owen Shelton at Boatmate trailer He will hook you up with 18s . You will prouply have to change the fenders. The wheels are 9.5" wide my fenders are 11" wide.
oshelton@boatmatetrailers.com

Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       03-24-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
I went through the same search you did. Some things to consider is backspacing and wheel width. Unless you go with a wheel made for a trailer ie. factory 18"s like whats pictured above you will have a hard time getting just any 18" wheel to fit. Most wheels over 17" are 8"-8.5" wide so If you do decide to go with bigger wheels you may also have to get wider fenders to stuff them under. The other thing to consider is tires. Most tires that will fit on an 18" wheel will not have a sufficient load rating for both the trailer and boat weight.
Both, wheels and tires to fit your set-up are out there but finding the right combo that will fit with out modification to the fenders or hubs is not easy.
Also no matter how good a driver you are you will eventually get in a spot where you will curb rash your wheels, no way around it.
Hate to be so negative but thats what I've found in my search.
I ended up going with 14" wheels and couldn't be happier. I didn't have to buy new tires and the wheels bolted right up. I did have to buy tuner lug nuts to fit the wheel but that was it.
Here is where I got my wheels. I payed just under 5 bills and got them about 3 days after I ordered them. Good quality and great customer service.
http://www.trailer-wheels.com/
Attached Images

Last edited by newty; 03-24-2010 at 7:48 PM.
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-24-2010, 8:07 PM Reply   
sorry to hijack..

Newty, that's probably one of the cleanest looking color schemes I've ever seen. What is the name of that beige color?

//end hijack