Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-29-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
There hasnt been a lot of UFC talk on here lately but I thought saturdays event was worth a mention. It was great night of fights and Silva continued his domination. I hope Shogun can stay healthy and it was great to see Nogueira victorious again.

Its time for a Silva vs GSP or Silva vs. Jon Jones. I bet we are more likely to see the GSP fight and I bet it happens early in 2012 if GSP beats diaz.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-29-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
I 100% believe we will see a Silva vs Jon Jones fight before we ever see him fight GSP. GSP is way undersized against Silva and doesn't seem to want to make a permanent move to MW. LHW is much more Silva's natural weight class.. so that fight makes much more sense.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-29-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
Silva is simply on another level - he makes every contender (except Sonnen) look like a fool. I hate him. I hate him a lot but no one can touch this fool. GSP is not the answer in my opinion. Jon Jones? Doubtful. I don't know who it is but he has to be "out of his mind" bored with these lame attempts to challenge him. It looks like he barely taps these guys and they are knocked out and no one can lay a hand on this guy. I don't know what game he is playing but these other fighters aren't even in the same sport.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-29-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
He is like a super ninja that has Chris Angel like skills and Mind Freaks these guys. After his last few fights AND finishes, he has to be the greatest PFP. However he is 6 years GSP's senior and GSP is getting immensely better every fight. He just needs to start finishing dudes. Bottom line is they both need to move up. I love JBJ, but he is no match for Anderson right now, maybe in a few years or never, but not right now. Anderson may go down as one of the greatest champion in the history of any sport. Right now he has cleared the division a few times, nobody touches him, he takes no abuse and easily continues his rein at the highest level possible. Not many other athletes, especially non team sport athlete's have done anything close to this. Imagine Tyson, Woods, Gretzky (well maybe him), Jimmy Conners, Jordan, and many of the other greats, openingly toying with their foe - Letting them take the first shots and than unloading in matrix form, to finish them. It's better than a modern day Ali, because he doesn't even say anything and gets complete mind control.

Where does he go from here? Short of Dan Henderson or Chael Sonnen, there is nothing left even in the 205 division. He would wipe that division of guys in less than a year. He literally is going to have to fight Cain or JDS to make it interesting, which of course will never happen. So, will he just keeping punking guys until he is finally bored and moves onto something that challenges him? It was only 3-4 fights ago that Dana openly said if he does not quite playing around with guys and start finishing people, they were going to kick him out. He has gone on a devastating terror like no other MMA fighter.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-30-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
A rematch with Sonnen is about the only fight I'd realy like to see with Silva at the moment. That's assuming he gets past Brian Stann.. which might not even happen.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-30-2011, 6:17 PM Reply   
That Stann/Sonnen fought should be a doozie.In fact many great fights in the next 90 days in the UFC. Now with the Fox deal in place, things will get very interesting.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-31-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
Jones would smash Silva..
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-31-2011, 1:00 PM Reply   
You really think so?? I don't. I think Jones is a phenomenal athlete... very much the future of the sport. However, at this point in his career.. I think Silva would win that fight.

I do expect JBJ to beat Rampage.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-31-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
after seeing how well sonnen did against silva I would think GSP has a better chance. I dont think JBJ is ready for silva quite yet. I went with GSP because they have both cleared out their division with title defesnes, jbj has a ways to go in lhw.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-31-2011, 2:43 PM Reply   
JBJ is not ready, period. He just has not seen enough to deal with all of Anderson's skills. He wil be and will go on to be one of the greatest champions ever, but not quite ready for Anderson.

I love the whole Rampage nonsense that there is a spy in his camp and is feeding stuff to the internet, it's great entertainment.

I could easily see JBJ dabbling in heavy weight as well. He could probably go through about 95% of the division until you get to the top 3-4.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
LOL..

Jon Jones has absolutely DEMOLISHED everyone that he has faced. DEMOLISHED.. He hasn't even been "in trouble" and he's 13 fights into his career.. He made Shogun look foolish, small and weak..

He would do Andrson ugly.. He could put him on his back in the first minute and finish with elbows long before the 1st round bell rings.. Wouldn't even be funny.. And this coming from someone who LOVES Anderson.. Jones would ragdoll him.. He has an 84" reach.. Tim Sylvia is 6'7" and has an 80" reach..

Jones would put him on his back and finish him before Ed Soares had time to start making up excuses for Andersons loss. And THAT is impressive.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2011, 7:05 AM Reply   
GSP isn't big enough to keep Anderson down.. Silva would knock him out.. GSP is a great hammer and a poor nail.. Everytime someone actually puts some hands on him - he folds.. The Serra fight was a joke.. He tapped to strikes.. Matt Serra - a guy who is marginal at best and an overblown LW.. Silva would piece him up so bad.. Look at GSP - Penn 1.. Penn had him so worked in rounds 1 and 2.. That was Penns first fight back in 2 years and he fought on 3 weeks notices.. This was before GSP decided his style would be to wrestel**** everyone into a coma of boredom..

Silva by tko.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-01-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Come on - someone argue with me.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-01-2011, 2:12 PM Reply   
JBJ striking is not crisp enough, ground game is above average, but no where near Silva. JBJ is good but he wouldn't even know how to attack silva. Right now Silva is in a league of his own, I don't know who's got a shot.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-01-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
Agree.

I love some JBJ... but he's not there yet. Silva is such a technically gifted fighter.. in many different ways.. I just don't see anyone beating him for now.

That being said - Silva is getting older and will hit a wall soon and start losing fights. It happens to everyone, no matter how great they are/were.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2011, 3:35 PM Reply   
I know Sonnen was juiced but he sure made Anderson look ordinary for 23 minutes. So I have a question what if Sonnen just lays on Anderson for another 2 minutes in that fight? Does everyone think he is still so unbeatable. I am with Jeff I think JBJ crushes him, and I give Sonnen actually a pretty good shot at beating him too, because Sonnen knows he can do it. As for GSP I just thing he is too small. It will be interesting who will get the next shot at him. I know one thing whoever it is I will be rooting for them I just can't stand Anderson.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-01-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
So that leads to.... Does GSP lay on diaz for 25 minutes or job him like he did Koscheck?
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2011, 7:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
So that leads to.... Does GSP lay on diaz for 25 minutes or job him like he did Koscheck?
No way he stands and trades with him..

But I DO believe he's going to put him on the floor and finish him.. Diaz is one of the worst wreslters that GSP has EVER faced.. His bottom game is nasty - but GSP is a high level Renzo Black Belt - he's not falling into an Omopalata ala Gomi.

I think GSP is going to put him on his back and work heavy ground game. I'm hoping to see a fire lite under his ass and he's gonna finish the fight with elbows from the top on the floor.. He'll take advantage of Diaz being but prone and finish/stop him via cut on the floor.

Diaz will tell the world that GSP is a pussy for fighting him the way that he did.

<3 me some 209 Bros.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Sonnen was juiced, who knows if he can keep Anderson down w/out the juice. Not to mention Silva is one of the smartest fighters around just look at the variety of fighters he has faught. He can change his game up against anyone and win. I would like someone to beat him because I enjoy a competative division.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
No way he stands and trades with him..

But I DO believe he's going to put him on the floor and finish him.. Diaz is one of the worst wreslters that GSP has EVER faced.. His bottom game is nasty - but GSP is a high level Renzo Black Belt - he's not falling into an Omopalata ala Gomi.

I think GSP is going to put him on his back and work heavy ground game. I'm hoping to see a fire lite under his ass and he's gonna finish the fight with elbows from the top on the floor.. He'll take advantage of Diaz being but prone and finish/stop him via cut on the floor.

Diaz will tell the world that GSP is a pussy for fighting him the way that he did.

<3 me some 209 Bros.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinger View Post
Sonnen was juiced, who knows if he can keep Anderson down w/out the juice. Not to mention Silva is one of the smartest fighters around just look at the variety of fighters he has faught. He can change his game up against anyone and win. I would like someone to beat him because I enjoy a competative division.
juice doesn't really make you a better fighter.. it only allows you to train more often..

if I took juice - could I beat Silva?

yes but that's because I'm a nasty jiu jitsu player.. but the average MMA fighter wouldn't.. ;-)

Like 95% of people who have been caught using PED's have lost the fight they were busted on.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyb View Post
Agree.

I love some JBJ... but he's not there yet. Silva is such a technically gifted fighter.. in many different ways.. I just don't see anyone beating him for now.

That being said - Silva is getting older and will hit a wall soon and start losing fights. It happens to everyone, no matter how great they are/were.
He's not "there yet" ??? He's 13-0 (I don't recognize the Hammil fight as a loss) - has destroyed all compeition and is far and away the best fighter in an ultra competitive weight class..

What would he have to do to be "there" ?? The way he did Shogun ugly wasn't enough to convince you? When he works Rampage will that be enough?

JBJ would do what Sonnen did to Silva x 10..

imo
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 7:58 AM Reply   
What if JSP takes him to the ground for 5 rounds he will get caught. Diaz is way better then JSP on the ground. The only shot JSP has to beat Diaz is lay on top of him and not try to advance. JSP has a glass jaw he knows it, thats why he's been affraid to get hit ever since Serra beat him. Diaz is not a strong puncher but he stands in the pocket and gets his shots in and he doesn't have to worry about the take down like most of JSP's oppents do because he is ok on his back.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 7:59 AM Reply   
Juice allows you to work out harder and get stronger so you can hold ppl down!
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2011, 8:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
What if JSP takes him to the ground for 5 rounds he will get caught. Diaz is way better then JSP on the ground. The only shot JSP has to beat Diaz is lay on top of him and not try to advance. JSP has a glass jaw he knows it, thats why he's been affraid to get hit ever since Serra beat him. Diaz is not a strong puncher but he stands in the pocket and gets his shots in and he doesn't have to worry about the take down like most of JSP's oppents do because he is ok on his back.
I like your attitude.

Shall we put a friendly $40 on it?

There are like 15 dudes out there that disagree with you about Diaz being a strong puncher.. His "form" doesn't indicate that he is - but when he puts his hands on people - they take a nap..

I've got $40 on GSP regarless.. Diaz ground game is a phallacy.. His pure jiu jitsu is good but his ground game for MMA is pretty meh.. Good scrambles but he doesn't have a history of submitting people or being able to defend a takedown.

Do you accept? Paypal is fine..
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-02-2011, 8:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Juice allows you to work out harder and get stronger so you can hold ppl down!
ever taken PEDs ?

and if you could simple train longer - would that make you good enough to beat Anderson Silva?

negative.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 8:02 AM Reply   
13-0 lets see who he has beat:

washed up Vera
Ryan Bader (Tito just beat him for god sake)
Decision against Bonner???
An injured Shogun

Thats his resume?? come on
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
I would never bet agaisnt JSP because he fights not to lose...he doesn't fight to win. I'll bet you $40 JSP doesn't finish the fight...he wins by decision? Paypal is fine.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2011, 8:42 AM Reply   
Who's to say Sonnen won't be juiced for the next fight with Silva as well. He gets his hormone replacement therapy legally he will be juiced again. Which I think is a bunch of bull. But a lot of fighters are doing Dan Henderson, Nate Marquardt. What do you guys think about this? I think if your testosterone levels are low. Sorry you should be a no go for professional competition
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-02-2011, 8:49 AM Reply   
Here is why I say JBJ isn't there yet..

Silva is the best pound for pound fighter in the world. Period. Does JBJ have the ability to be there someday? Yes, I think he does. I consider being the best, beating the best. JBJ has fought some mid level fighters and one top level fighter (in my opinion) in Shogun.. who was coming off an injury and was seriously rusty. I'd like to see him take on Rampage, Rashad Evans, Machida... then I will consider him among the best fighters in the world. Until then - I'll wait and see.

Diaz beating GSP is laughable, at best. GSP is one of the very best wrestlers in all of MMA. Diaz has a punchers chance, or perhaps some crazy lucky submission. People always go back to Matt Sera, which is hysterical. That fight was YEARS ago and GSP has improved tremendously since then. He's lost 2 fights in his entire MMA career and people write him off going into each fight because he's not a "finisher". Lame.

I am hoping like hell that GSP puts a beatdown on Diaz... I hate that 209 trash. Yuck.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 9:05 AM Reply   
How much has GSP improved he hasn't finished anyone other then Hughes and Serra since that fight, Lame or not there is still something to be said for the fact that he does NOT try to finish fights! I agree he is a good fighter but IMHO to be considered one of the best pound for pound fighters ever you have to finish people, thats what great fighters do...Linddel, Gracie, Silva...great fighters finish fights. GSP may win but he won't finish the fight.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-02-2011, 10:34 AM Reply   
GSP will win easily and may finally finish a fight. I am a HUGE Diaz brothers fans, but please. GSP is the master at analyzing his opponents weaknesses and capitalizing on them. That being said he is a bore to watch no matter how masterful. Diaz punch is good for MMA, but not significantly better that GSP- just watch the Kos GSP fight - was crazy accurate. Diaz is good at traditional JJ, but GSP is not traditional and his wrestling is simply the best in MMA, short of maybe Sonnen. The GSP of the Serra days is long gone. He is masterful and may have the sharpest mind in the game. There is a reason he wins over the highest level of competition, he is just simply better. It is not that he has not tried to finish fights. He damn near ripped Hardy's arm off several times. I was a huge bgi on GSP being hte best PFP in MMA, but with Silva's last 18 months, there is no longer a question. The stats may be similar, but finishing fights and not getting touched is a different level. He has many years to work on his legacy and will probably start going back to finishing fights, but in the mean time we are in for another bore-fest.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-02-2011, 11:09 AM Reply   
Agree Jason.. GSP did nearly rip Hardy's arm off.. he wouldn't tap for anything. Finish fights or not.. I deeply respect his technical skill and the sheer athletic power he has and will continue to watch his fights.

The Diaz brothers are so.... Stockton. Barf.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-02-2011, 11:37 AM Reply   
What, how can someone be masterfull yet a borefest thats a bit of an oxymoron. Its not like Hardy has never been stopped, Carlos Condit beat him easy you mean GSP can't? No risk no reward...he didn't even try and finish Kos or Alves. The Shields and Fitch fight are not completely his fault those guys fight the same style as GSP, they just want to out point you.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-02-2011, 11:53 AM Reply   
just announced, Velasquez vs Dos Santos for the HW championship on the first FOX card on November 12th. I have been looking forward to this fight and now its free. Thanks Dana.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-06-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Yhea the whole Fox deal could either really add to the UFC brand or make it really stupid. I am betting it will make it better than ever, but I always worry it may water down things.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-06-2011, 8:47 PM Reply   
Alistair Overeem vs Brock Lesnar december 30th, cant wait

...and for those who dont know of the REEM he is the Strikeforce HW champ and a recent K-1 Kickboxing Champ. He is a beast.

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-07-2011, 11:48 AM Reply   
Those of us who are quite familiar with Overeem are absolutely convinced he went from a cut up bean pole to a beast all natural!
Apparently they have some pretty amazing training and weight gain shakes in Holland.
Old     (tings00)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-07-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
some crazy stuff going on in the UFC. Nick Diaz no showed his second press conference leading up to the GSP - Diaz fight. He has been bumped and GSP will now face Carlos Condit who recently KO'd Dan Hardy. Diaz is an idiot.
Old     (lizzyb)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-07-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Just as I said.. he's trash. Hopefully this means I won't have to see his ridiculous "mean face" in the UFC or Strikeforce again.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Dia...t-Condit-35389
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       09-08-2011, 4:03 PM Reply   
My take on Silva vs Jones

First off Silva has the best stand up on the planet. If the fight stays on the feet silva would knock Jones out. Now that being said,silva seems to get taken down fairly easy. And as Sonnen showed he isnot a machine but human. Jones takes guys down with these crazy throws and when he gets on top of you, his elbows are razor sharp. My pick?

If the fight stays standing Jones has no chance.

If it goes to the ground and I am nearly 99% sure it will, I go with JBJ with vicious elbows to the head. Nobody has ever seen anything like JBJ, the only thing we havent seen from Jones is how good his chin is. i am hoping he trades with Rampage and we can see how good his chin is. On a side note, i would never count out Rampage, guys is a brawler and if they get into a stand up exchange I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't catch Jones. Just don't think Jones is that dumb, he will take Jackson down and try and grind it out on the ground
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-08-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
So Diaz disappears and they line GSP up with Condit - My interest is peaked.

Just announced Diaz is to fight BJ Penn in October and they are already talking smack - NOW THAT's A FIGHT!