Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old    wakebordchick            06-20-2003, 7:27 AM Reply   
after 2 years of trying i finally made it up wakeboarding yesterday.. it feels so great.. im pretty sore today.. but im still gonna go some more today ... just thought id tell you guys how happy i am... and that u have another one up boarding with you :-).. ttyl
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       06-20-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
Damn!! Two years. You should get some kind of award for that kind of persistence!! Congrats and welcome to the Wake World!
Old    bassboy8855            06-20-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
Damnit! Some one beat me! It took me a year and a half...
Old    river_rider            06-20-2003, 12:31 PM Reply   
Congrats Ashley, and keep working at it. I have taught a few friends how to ride and I ve noticed a couple things about newbies...

1. The newbie that gets up and rides around his first time out takes a while to progress because they get cocky and dont listen to instruction well.
2. The few people I've taught that took a season or better to get up consistently really progress quickly once they get the hang of the progressive edge and controlling thier line tension when they decide to start getting agressive.

Good luck and dont be afraid to ask everyones advice on technique.
Brad
Old    lukeh2owalker            06-20-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
yea girl now you can give advice to anyone who posts a question on how to get up. like your a pro. like the bradly said learn how to carve and ride around before you go psycho rider crazy hitting the big air grabbing the board like its the last piece of pizza in the box. going inverted with your hair on fire asking for double ups till you can't even feel the handle because it has become part of you. sorry i got carried away your in store for all that if you keep on riding and the two year effort sounds like your redy. have fun.
Old    stormrider            06-20-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Listen to Brad. He's dialed in as far as I'm concerned about getting the progressive edge down. It's not just turnin and burnin into the wake. It is a skill that must be mastered, cuz once you do it will make learning other tricks a whole lot easier (and you will have far, far fewer bad crashes). Get Kovak's book on Wake Physics, too.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-20-2003, 9:31 PM Reply   
awesome!
Old    wakebordchick            06-22-2003, 8:11 PM Reply   
it was so much fun.. i used to slalom ski.. i pretty much gave up on that as of thursday lol... wakeboarding is so much easier and fun.. now i just gotta figure out a way to get my dad to get me a board lol.. cuz i use my brothers.. and well.. he likes to have his with him.. cuz hes 20 and goes with his friends a lot.. but ill find a way for sure..
brad- when i was trying for those two years to get up i didnt really listen to people and stuff. but then i decided this aint working lol.. so i found a better way.. its so cool- just gotta find some guys around her that wakeboard lol.. where u guys from?
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2003, 8:19 PM Reply   
hay girls tat r my age and riding r tight.but yeah listen to brad get teh basics down it helps a lot like my friend has a dna byerly and i m on a premy i m out airing him bye around 4ft since he doesn't no teh basics tat well so listen learn teh basics and u will go far
Old    wakebordchick            06-22-2003, 9:18 PM Reply   
so what exactly are all the basics lol
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2003, 9:21 PM Reply   
progressive edge, ts hs airs, that stuff it helps a lot to learn well. i ride a small wake boat and m boosting when i m lucky 6ft airs so when i go behind big wake boats same heighth but much more hangtime.
Old     (skerzz)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-23-2003, 12:44 AM Reply   
Charley did you sleep through elementary school grammar?
Old    wakebordchick            06-23-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
ok thanks.. i think im going back out.. tommorrow or wednesday.. before i learned to wakeboard i didnt really like going to the lake too much.. well i liked it.. but skiing was pretty boring when u do it all the time.. now i wanna go allt he time...
Old    stormrider            06-23-2003, 9:14 AM Reply   
Build up upper body strength, too. You don't want to get "pulled out" on the backside of bigger, farther jumps. Handle in on most tricks is essential. Can't keep handle in without the muscle to counteract all the forces pulling the handle out. Handle out and you increase your chances of crashing bad.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-23-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
Ashly, congrats.

But, no offense, it seems someone was not giving you good advice.

Last weekend, with proper advice and a few exercises in the boat, my friends 7 year old got up on his first try for 20 yards and rode out a full set on his second try.

1. arms straight
2. butt on heels
3. don't push with legs
4. don't pull with arms
5. start the boat super slow

And, try the get-up exercise in the living room before you go. Pull them up by hand from the floor making sure they don't pull (arms) and they don't push (legs).
Old    wakebordchick            06-23-2003, 7:10 PM Reply   
ok.. thanks.. danedawg.. and steven