Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-14-2010, 11:39 AM Reply   
I am rounding up all the parts to build an integrated ballast system this fall for a Sanger V210. Anybody have any experience building their own ballast tanks? I want tanks rather than bags in the V-drive side compartments!

Thanks guys!
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-14-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
What are you building the tanks out of? I have a v210 also and I want to put ballast in the back but not sure where to start. Tanks sound cool because I can put some stuff on top w/out worrying about it getting smashed when filled.
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-14-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, that was my thinking! I can move lead from the front to the back corner when I want to change to surfing.

I have been talking to Ralph on here (his system is awesome) and he said that he built his from plywood and fiberglassed the outside. Then just drill in the fittings you need. I wanted to see if anybody else had any ideas on how to build some tanks!
Old     (twelve02)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-14-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
You could also buy hard plastic tanks with fittings:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=12

http://www.gkandnservices.co.uk/plastic-tanks.asp
Old     (saberworks)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-14-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
That's a cool idea, they have a 105 gallon one that will weigh ~800lbs when full I think. They put the fittings wherever you want which is cool, too. (I didn't check the sizes.) What's the advantage of bags vs hard tanks or is it just price?
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       10-14-2010, 4:49 PM Reply   
For most people the biggest reason to go with soft sacs vs. hard tanks is price. I am not sure why you would want a hard tank if you can't put it under the floor. Basically you are going to have the same result which is filling your compartment with ballast. I have seen people build a ceiling in that locker that the sac can reach before it starts to over flow.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-14-2010, 6:06 PM Reply   
biggest reason I went with sacs actually removed my tanks is because a tank the size i would need would block all access to the engine for service and maintenance so you would have to pull the tank every time just to change the oil it would get old quick.With sacks they can be removed in seconds I actually gained storage by removing the tanks and installing sacks.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-14-2010, 8:37 PM Reply   
I've had both in my boat and IMO tanks FTW.
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...+ballast+tanks
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-15-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
I picked up some reasonably priced tanks several years ago from RV Surplus:

http://www.rvsurplus.net/catalog/dis...ategory_id=117
Old     (imondi)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-15-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
Wow, thanks for the link to rvsurplus...It would almost be cheaper to buy those than build my own after epoxy, materials, ect.... Definitely something to think about!

The reason I am going to do tanks instead of bags is just for the simplicity in changing from wake to surf. I really like the way Ralph has his boat set up and I am trying to mimic that. You can move the pop bags (or whatever you have up front) to the back corner quickly and easily. You couldnt put all that weight on top of sacs, but you can with tanks!