Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-13-2011, 8:47 AM Reply   
Pretty alarming...

"Consider this: Under the proposed legislation all that’s required for government to shutdown a specific website is the mere accusation that the site unlawfully featured copyrighted content. Such an accusation need not be proven – or even accompanied by probable cause. All that an accuser (or competitor) needs to do in order to obtain injunctive relief is point the finger at a website.

Additionally, SOPA would grant regulators the ability to choke off revenue to the owners of these newly classified “rogue” websites by accusing their online advertisers and payment providers as co-conspirators in the alleged “piracy.” Again, no finding of fact would be required – the mere allegation of impropriety is all that’s needed to cut the website’s purse strings."

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-bl...ch-kill-switch

Basically, If I read correctly, doing what I just did would be illegal under this law (posting a link to copywrited material).

On the surface, I can see the desire to control copywrite infringement that's rampant on the web... but this is a bit far reaching. And I think there are bigger fish to fry right there on the web... like STOP THE FRIGGIN EMAILS FROM AFRICA SAYING MY DEAD RELATIVE LEFT ME MILLIONS!!!!

I've lost a lot of faith in our gov't, but I can't hardly see how this would have a snowball's chance in hell of passing, and if it did would quickly be deemed unconstitutional in some way.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-13-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
That is true. Another liberal wanting regulation http://lunaticoutpost.com/Topic-Rupe...nternet?page=2
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-13-2011, 12:56 PM Reply   
So does that mean youtube is dead?.... sure sounds like it.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-13-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
I did not say anything about liberal... the bill is actually written/proposed by republican Lamar Smith (of Texas of all places!) but has 24 co-sponsors both D's and R's. This REEKS of special interest peddling. (read: MPAA and RIAA)
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-13-2011, 9:12 PM Reply   
According to this Ron Wyden (D-Or) introduced the bill "Senator Ron Wyden (D-Or) introduced a bill that would address the rogue websites by vesting anti-piracy powers in the International Trade Commission, a body that has long dealt with foreign threats to the economy. (The New York Times (NYSE: NYT) has a good write-up of the competing proposals here.)

Late on Friday, however, an aide to SOPA’s main sponsor, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Tx), began circulating talking points blasting the ITC proposal. Her email message slammed the proposal as a “dramatic and costly expansion of the federal bureaucracy” and said it would be ineffective, in part because it:"

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-s...y-alternative/
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-14-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Ron, this may be the confusion. It looks like there are at least 3 proposed bills trying to accomplish the same thing. SOPA (house version) PIPA (Protect IP Act... by the Senate... currently on hold) and something else that you're refferencing above introduced by Wyden. Which to me reeks even worse of influence peddling by special interests of MPAA and RIAA. They're getting w/anyone who will listen.
I'm not in the recording or motion picture industry, but I would bet you a dollar to a donut, that the king makers in that industry are far more likely to harm small artists than a video or song going viral on the interwebs. As in, sure I'll listen to your demo, but if you submit it, it becomes my legal property. Or sure, we'll sign you up for an album, but we pretty much OWN you for the next 10 yrs.
I think they're just sore about losing their crown as king makers because of the power of viral-ity on the net. Power to the people yo!
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-14-2011, 9:16 AM Reply   
You are 100% correct!!! We've been discussing this at work over the last few days and the computer guys are not happy about it at all. I see the need for blocking rogue sites but this legislation is a bit extreme from based on what I'm reading.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       12-14-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
Pound, Ron T actually believes that Republicans can do no wrong. He walks around with his head stuck up his cooloo all day. I am surprised that he can actually participate in any sort of discussion.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       12-14-2011, 8:30 PM Reply   
Good BURN, Jeremy!!!, IMHO we need a third party called the common sense party (CSP).