Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (gbugg19)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 5:04 AM Reply   
I know there are a hundred of these threads but any ways.... I am going to put in four tower speakers 6.5 and four cabin speakers 6.5 and two twelves with and 1200w amp which I already have. Can I use one amp to run tower and cabin speakers? What amp do I need to use? And do you think I should be able to get away with one Battery?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       05-12-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
your better off with a seperate amp for the towers.

sure you can only do one battery, however, it is really risky.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-12-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
I would highly recommend running 2 batteries even with a small amp . . . . So are you planning on using the 1 amp for all speakers in your boat ? If so I would use at least 2 amps 1 for subs 1 forboat/tower speakers
Old     (gbugg19)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
What I was thinking was a 1200w two channel for the two subs. An amp just for the tower speakers and the head unit powering the cabin speakers. How complicated is it to switch to the two battery setup?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
"What I was thinking was a 1200w two channel for the two subs. An amp just for the tower speakers and the head unit powering the cabin speakers. How complicated is it to switch to the two battery setup?"

Adding a 2nd battery is easy, can be fairly inexpensive, and takes a couple of hours to do. Do a search, probably a dozen threads on this in the past few months.

What are the specs on the subs and tower speakers? This will help you choose the best amp for both (I know you have the 2chnl for the subs already).
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-12-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
That's how I run mine I have 1 amp for the tower speakers 1 amp for a 10" sub and my 4 cabin speakers run off of my head unit and it sounds just fine as for my 2 battery setup I'm using an isolator but I would definitely go with a perko switch they're cheaper and seem to actually function better
Old     (gbugg19)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 9:48 AM Reply   
I have not bought the tower speakers yet. I have The cans and nees to upgrade the speakers. they will be some sort of 6.5 speakers and the subs are sony p-5's
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Get a four channel amp that is like 50-75watts by 4 and power tower off the front channels and interior off the rear. The fade will allow for sending more power to one or the other. I ran 2 12's 4 6.5's and 4 6x9's off one amp and sounded great. It was an eclipse five channel. One was a sub channel 300 watts and the other 4 were 45 or 50 watts each. I had two speakers wired to each channel. I was using two batteries and never had any issues
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
George,

Do yourself and your riders a favor and do it all up correctly. Don't waste your time running your cabin speakers off the head unit, more then likely you wont hear them over the tower that way. Get 2 4 channels amps for your boat. for a mulit channel stereo amp i like the Kicker 650.4. It will give you plenty of power for whatever 6.5s you want to buy. It is always better to over power then under power. Wire each speaker to a seperate channel. Yes that means 4 wires in your tower. If you do it that way it will just sound the cleanest and you will be very pleased with it.
Old     (cmart1240)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-12-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
you could if you wired them with the right impedance...but it will sound a lot better with two amps, one with an internal crossover. speakers sound a lot better and will last longer when they're only given signal within the frequencies they're made to play. for example, subs play bass, and tweeters play highs.

i also think the other guys have it right with the second battery and isolater.
Old     (gbugg19)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-12-2008, 12:57 PM Reply   
so run the subs with one amp, the tower with one amp, and the cabin with one amp?
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-12-2008, 2:32 PM Reply   
If you run 4 tower speakers,each to their own channel then you will need 8 wires in your tower,a pair for each speaker.I ran my set up with the cabin speakers to the head unit and a Clarion 4 channel amp to the 4 tower speakers with a switch installed on the remote on wire so I can turn off the tower speakers.
Old     (thesack)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-12-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
George yes have an amp for each. If you want to limit your the wires going into you tower make sure the AMP(if its a 4 channel) is 2 ohm stable when briged in stereo. The Kicker 650.4 is not 2 ohm stable when bridged in stereo