Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-08-2006, 11:14 AM Reply   
Wanting to find out some info on these from some of the wakeworld experts.......A friend of mine is looking to get into it b/c we are all starting to get into surfing......Any major disadvantages????????????? Thanks! :-)
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-08-2006, 11:27 AM Reply   
Have one on my MB. Love it! we surf a lot. Less worry of carbon monoxide and boat is a lot quieter too. Pretty easy to install.

No disadvantages I know of. I highly recommend it.

Tim
Old     (sroot1)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-08-2006, 11:36 AM Reply   
Tim
Do you notice anything at cruising speeds above 30mph??
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-08-2006, 1:34 PM Reply   
FAE says maybe a 1 mph loss on top end. But I didn't notice anything at all. But, I do have the ZR6 375 horse motor which has tons of power.

Tim
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-08-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Tim I didnt know you had one on your boat. How much quiter does it make it inside the boat
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-08-2006, 2:03 PM Reply   
The difference in noise is substantial. THe music is easier to hear at lower volumes. It is easier to talk to the people surfing from inside the boat. I am pleased with it. I almost never travel WOT, so I don't even know if it has affected my top speed, but I sense that 1-2 MPH may have been knocked off. No changes in handling. I installed it myself and am pleased so far.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-08-2006, 2:40 PM Reply   
I have it, but I broke it in about 3 months. Basically, if you have a teak platform, the FAE probably won't last. Let me explain:

The mounting to the boat is with flanges that are held on with the screws that hold on your exhaust flappers. Now, with the snorkle of the FAE sticking down into the extremely turbulent water from the prop, there is a TREMENDOUS load, called torque, that is applied to it. To compensate for this torque, there are two rods that extend up to the swim platform and attach.

The problem is that teak wood flexes quite a bit. This results in the FAE constantly getting pushed back and forth until the flanges finally break from all the stress.

I would think that a fiberglass platform may not flex as much, so there would be less worry.

The concept is awesome and it reduces the noise and exhaust substantially. It's just that the engineering needs to be refined.

Just my $.02
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       12-08-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Grant,

talltigeguy is right. It is a substantial difference. And a very low cost solution.

Can't comment on the other as I have the fiberglass platform.

You can see it in this pic. Sorry I don't have a better shot of it.

Tim

Upload
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-08-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
IS ther an FAE option or similar product that is compatible with boats featuring a WEDGE. I couldnt find one and was planing to construct my own. Any tips or pointers about this?

sorry about the hijack
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-08-2006, 5:19 PM Reply   
The piping can be almost anything until it gets in the water. The drag is critical and the further out you go the torque load gets higher.
Probably use FAE's system and give them your dimensions and clearance requirements or just change the pipes going to the T and downspout and make sure it's really well braced.
If you use your own downspout into the water remember that a round pipe has 10X the drag of a good airfoil shape for the same section width.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-08-2006, 5:39 PM Reply   
I don't know about this whole FAE thing. I have a big block, surf all day, and never have issues with fumes. And I like the sound of the motor. Plus, I paid an arm and a leg for the exhaust tips....

Thats my .02

Upload
Old     (lcky275)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-08-2006, 7:25 PM Reply   
Grant,
It makes it so quiet you don't need a big stereo
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-08-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Ya, I'm gonna buy one for my 1988 Nautique 2001. I think it should last. Maybe i can talk to a welder and have him make me one for less than 325, and have it made out of stainless

In the fresh air exhaust is there any kind of flapper like a normal exhaust? Or is it just the Y-connection?
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-08-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
I could see how hearing the engine would be desirable to some. to me its an ear ache. id rather listen to immortal technique bangin out my speakers. but thats just me.

ben ur tips look sweet. but when ur surfing dont u have to scream just so u can tell the driver something or the spotter to pass u a drink?
do they make systems that will fit around your wake plate?

if its HPI silencers or FAE im hoping to quiet my ride down a bit.

btw anybody use HPI silencers? how much percentage wise do they reduce?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-09-2006, 7:29 AM Reply   
but when ur surfing dont u have to scream just so u can tell the driver something or the spotter to pass u a drink?

That is a good point...
Old     (chqwakeboarder)      Join Date: May 2006       12-09-2006, 8:12 AM Reply   
Does anyone have the website for the FAE?
Thanx
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-09-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
ours broke as well, and we have to take the platform off constantly which made it a PAIN

i did like how quiet it was tho, nite and day difference but we can do without for now. wish they could setup a support system off the back of the boat at an angle some how
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
Old     (smokedog2)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-09-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
I have one - works fine, great on the noise. PP will cost more on the top end.

SD2
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-09-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
I am not sure with the teak, but my FAE came with a metal bar that I attached to the deck supports, so I am confident that it will not fall off unless I have some other serious problem. It is all attached to metal with bolts, no screwing into wood.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-09-2006, 5:05 PM Reply   
ben,

is your wakeplate piston thingy actually mounted to the swim deck?that has got to have alot of force on your platform
Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
That is not a wakeplate. It is for adjusting trim. Ben has an X-45 as do I.
Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-09-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   
BTW, Ben I was searching for those tips for my boat. Those look like the ones from MC. Correct?
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-09-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
Jonny the piston is actually connected to the hull not the deck.
Old     (svguy)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-11-2006, 11:39 AM Reply   
I noticed some of the comments about problems attaching the FAE to the swim deck. I actually attached mine to the hull (with Larry's help). This has proved to be nice since I can remove the swimdeck when ever I want. There are some pictures here in an older post: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/366235.html?1157685718