Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-07-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
Honestly I like the malibu 23lsv better. Much better. But my dad likes the centurion avalache better. Which do you think is better? Please post. Thanks.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-07-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
Thats not even close. Thats the A league against the B. Bu all the way.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-07-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Check this same debate in boats and accesories section
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-07-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
Apples and oranges.
Old    walt            10-07-2006, 8:43 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/376379.html?1160262550
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-08-2006, 6:29 AM Reply   
The thing is that I knew the wakesetter was very very versitile but not that much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
If you are looking at a 23 Bu then you need to look at the Typhoon, it is the 23 foot Avalanche and it is Bad A$$, it is my favorite boat to ride behind. It has lots of kick on the wake and has a killer surf wake too.

Apples and Oranges, I don't think so. Maybe two or three years ago, but not now. These boats are seriously built as solid if not more solid as any of the big three. Centurion has construction that makes the boat as close to one piece as you can get, rough water ride is second to none.

Just so you know I am not taking anything from Malibu, I actually owned one for several years and had ownership goggles until I stepped in some other boats and started paying attention to how boats are built. Bu's are obviously great boats, it's the number one selling boat for a reason, I happen to think it's their curb appeal and marketing that has gotten them to the top, not necessarily because it is the best boat.

Good Luck!
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-08-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
Malibu is such a better boat. Only get one of the top three, everything else is "B" grade.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2006, 8:35 AM Reply   
Colby - Drive them both. The only advice you will get on this site is biased. I will even admit that I am biased (obviously). Listen to what everybody has to say so that you can get a small idea of what to expect. The ultimate decision should only be made after you drive both. You really should be looking at the Typhoon it is really a killer boat.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-08-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
There is such a differance when you drive the boats. The Malibus drive like a sports car evan when they are loaded. I drove an Enzo at Boardstock with out ballast, and it drove like a tank. Centurion is a sexy looking boat, but its a wannabe. The wake may be fine for your average boarder, but the core rider thinks they are a joke. Truth.
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-08-2006, 11:08 AM Reply   
I agree with a lot of what is said. And also agree that lots of new boats drive similarly but what you have to look at is where the boat will be in ten years. Malibu boats already have the reputation of longevity and also you cant deny that the Malibu has one of, if not, the best wake out there.
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-08-2006, 1:23 PM Reply   
I haven't thought about a typhoon. duh what was I thinking. Thanks guys.
Old     (wellsrts)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-08-2006, 1:26 PM Reply   
Make sure u drive it loaded, with additional ballast, not just stock warm up ballast. bring an additional 1500 lbs in sacs. you will see the malibu shine!!
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-08-2006, 1:30 PM Reply   
Why bring sacs for?
Old    wiz            10-08-2006, 1:49 PM Reply   
malibu..........with no hesitation
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-08-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
tommyc you say core riders think they are a joke. My son just finished 8th at the worlds in Jr Men we have had an Avalanche the last 2 seasons. His riding has progressed tremendously during this time. He has opportunities to ride behind every brand of boat in competition. The size, shape and pop of the Avalanche wake is pro quality. Centurion build quality is execllent and they have really improved their finish trim the last few years.
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-08-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo avalache
Old     (phila)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-08-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
You guys are ignorant on these kind of subjects. Tommyc, which "core" rider told it was a joke? Im here telling you its not. I guess Sean Obrien was joking when landed a the first handle pass kgb 5 on one. Anyways, the centurion may be alittle slower in turns with weight because of the deeper hull, but do a choppy water run and see which one is smoother. Yeah I'm pretty sure the valanche is. Well they're both good boats but dont say stuff when you have no idea what your talking about.

Colby how old are you?
Old    mendo247            10-08-2006, 7:39 PM Reply   
Massive---"Only get one of the top three, everything else is "B" grade"

Are you serious
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-08-2006, 9:35 PM Reply   
George... just think what could have happened had your son riden behind a real boat. My son won the nationals in Jr. Men in 04.

Phillip, just drive a Malibu, you will change your mind. Most core riders think they are a joke. Just talk to a few who know. Also, Sean would rather have a different boat. The Centurion was not his first choice.

Just stirren it up.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-08-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
Hey Phillip, I think I saw you ride behind Dave Brisco's Supra. You were good back then. But, that was a real boat. Much better than the C boat.
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-09-2006, 5:54 AM Reply   
That's A league against B league. So your saying because you have a Malibu your in the A league and we people that have Centurions are in the B leagues. Are you kidding me?

We did a demo on our lake last year right after the boat show. All of the dealers were doing demos the same day. I took out at least 10 people that test drove a VLX and then an Avalanche and all they said was how much better the the Avalanche rode compared to the VLX. I like both boats. Malibu would be my next choice if I didn't have a Centurion.
Old     (melanie_g)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-09-2006, 6:06 AM Reply   
It's all personal preference, everyone has their own taste. So, no need to knock someone else's boat because you don't like it. Besides, if you consider yourself a "core" rider...you can ride behind any boat.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2006, 8:43 AM Reply   
Centurion may have stepped it up recently, but let's face it, they built crap for several years and now they have some damage control. I've ridden in a lot of crappy Centurions. Even their owners admitted their boat was junk.

No to defend, but I think Tom said the boat was B league, not the people that own them.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-09-2006, 9:00 AM Reply   
I am not dumping on the riders who ride behind the Centurion, I am simply saying that there is a big difference between the 2 boats. Anybody driving them side-by-side would feel it. Especially when they are loaded down. Plus, the wake of the Malibu is hands down better that the Centurion. Just ride it one time and you will see how great they are, loaded or unloaded.

Hey, J-Rod, hows it goin?
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-09-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
There is a big difference between the 2 boats. But look at the price tag.

I understand it is not about the people who, but it is still a knock on my boat which I stand behind. Nothing personal.

I wasn't around when Centurion had problems with their quality. From what I read on here there was unhappy buyers. The way I see it is they are putting out some good stuff now and being innovative.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
I rode behind both boats (2006's) this summer and looked forward to the Malibu days much much more. I wouldn't call the Centurion junk, but if you're going to buy a boat for wakeboarding, you should probably get the one with the better wake. Besides talking about price, I don't see the debate.
Old     (mi_moomba)      Join Date: May 2005       10-09-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
No matter what boats are being debared, there is always going to be people who feel strongly one way or the other. Just like a Porsche vs. Ferrari debate, you are going to have people passionate either way. I would drive both boats, preferrably on the same day and see what YOU think. Don't listen to anyone else, just what YOU think. The people on this site are not going to be driving the boat every time you step in the seat, so why care what they think?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   

quote:

but do a choppy water run and see which one is smoother.

how often do people ride/go out in chop?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-09-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
I only ride in chop.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-09-2006, 12:39 PM Reply   
Malibu hands down. My Centurion was a lemon, was towed in countless times & although the dealer & rep tried to help me the factory & distributor ( Kal Kustoms ) was less than helpfull IMO. I am still out hundreds for warranty work "checks in the mail". Do to my experiances I will never own a Centurion - carry on.
Old     (norcal_wakejunky)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-09-2006, 1:20 PM Reply   
I gotta go with Malibu, there are so many little suttle things that make it a superior boat. My friends have an avalanche, and I have been riding behind it for years so I can't knock it, but considering how much Centurion has raised there prices for there top dog wake boat I would rather spend that equivalent and get a Malibu. I think they have better upholstery, they handle a little better (I'm talking about 05 and up), that table option is nice, and I really like the illusion x tower. PLUS higher resale value with a Malibu
Old     (phila)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-09-2006, 2:36 PM Reply   
Yeah you guys keep wining about how you can only ride behind your precious malibus it's ok. Most people change from original flat bottom hull boats and weight the centurion the same and it doesn't work. They don't need that 1,000 pounds in the front to plain out with a 8.1 liter engine like the malibu. I know for a fact they dont need as much weight for a big wake too. Weight them right and you'll get more kick than any malibu.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-09-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
ok time to really stirr it up, save your $$$ and get a nautique, i wouldnt even put a bu as "A" league against Nautique OR Mastercraft. Those two blow everyone out of the water! And if you can get your hands on one (yes it can be done) try an epic 23v, its the best bang for your buck hands down!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-09-2006, 2:55 PM Reply   
I have boarded for many many years and the new Bu(05 and up) has hands down the best stock ballast wake I have EVER SEEN!!!! And if you add a 500lbs sac it's perfect. Thats all I will say on this topic.
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-09-2006, 3:01 PM Reply   
phllip i'm 11 but i can drive a boat better than my dad.and kevin just to let you know i hate nautiqes and mastercrafts sucks there wakes are to small for me but now that i think about it nautiqes are ok but just ok.
Old    stillstandin            10-09-2006, 3:18 PM Reply   
Kevin...I'll chime in, and say Ive been around a couple 210's that were absolute lemons. IMO they had terrible craftsmenship. I have been around several Malibu's, and would say they are second to none (and no, I dont own one.) I will have to second what most are saying. You cant really compare Centurian with Bu. I have also been in a couple newer Centurians. They were good boats, but I would compare them to Moomba, not Bu. Just my .2....If price is a concern, I would be more likely to lean toward Sanger (Biased).
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2006, 3:20 PM Reply   
no matter how much weight we put in our friend's centurion, the wake just did get any bigger. and yeah, we had to add A LOT of weight up front for it to plane out.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
HAHAHA!!!! Great post Colby.

The last Centrurion I was in DID need more weight in the front.....to stop it from porpoising allllll the way across the lake.

Kevin: Your post made about as much sense as Colby's. I'm guessing you two are in the same 5th grade class?
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-09-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
I totally agree with BG. And I'm a Supra owner, and I LOVE my wake, but I had to add extra to make it really dirty.
Old    walt            10-09-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Here's a cool thread on how to dial in a Centurion wake.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/350138.html
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
Kevin - Epic? Come on man, do you even know what you are talking about? or are you just talking?

Go stock ballast plus 500lb. in an Avalanche and see if it's not as good as the VLX.

My thought is that most of you guys posting on this thread have not even been behind a Centurion and are just bashing because of hear say, until you have personally tested the wake behind ANY boat don't start talking about something you have no real clue about.
Old    walt            10-09-2006, 6:13 PM Reply   

quote:

My thought is that most of you guys posting on this thread have not even been behind a Centurion and are just bashing because of hear say

Actually You would be wrong about that and plenty of these people are very credible when it comes to boats and wakes.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-09-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
actually, i've ridden behind a heck of a lot of boats, including the centurion line.

i wasn't bashing the wake...just stating my experiences with them.
Old    stillstandin            10-09-2006, 6:16 PM Reply   
Go stock ballast plus 500lb. in an Avalanche and see if it's not as good as the VLX.

OK..yup, def not as good, but again..just opinion to each is there own.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-09-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
I do understand that price is important. So if you you have Centurion money, spend it on a Sanger...much better boat.

Because we have a wakeboard camp and work with a lot of riders, we get to test drive a lot of differant boats, and see a lot of differant wakes. The best, is a matter of opinion... MC, SAN, BU, or Supra. Next up, Sanger, Tige, a bunch of others, then Centurion. So it depends on whether performance or price is your main concern.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
WCW - I said most, not all.

Definitely an opinion thing on the 500lbs. I personally think it's a killer wake.
Old    walt            10-09-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   

quote:

WCW - I said most, not all.

If You said some it would be more accurate IMHO.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   

quote:

I have boarded for many many years and the new Bu(05 and up) has hands down the best stock ballast wake I have EVER SEEN!!!!

I'll say it comes a far 2nd to the Epic with a single rudder....
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
I'm not the biggest fan of Malibu's but this thread got out of control and got to say something.

Malibu if you want a nicer boat period Wake and all!
Other then that get a Centurion!
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-09-2006, 9:06 PM Reply   
wow, i never expected such a debate on the 2 boats in question. carry on

just sitting in my chair drinkin a beer enjoying the show

(Message edited by midwesty on October 09, 2006)
Old    walt            10-09-2006, 9:09 PM Reply   
Hey Ed,

Didn't You own a Centurion ?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2006, 9:11 PM Reply   
Walt,why do you keep bringing that up?!

Old    walt            10-09-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
Ed,

I just didn't want you to fall under the (most people) category.
Old     (fredrik_of_sweden)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-10-2006, 5:43 AM Reply   
I think centurion kicks ass!!!!!!
totally the perfect wake...
/Fredrik
www.foamproductions.net
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-10-2006, 6:35 AM Reply   
A couple things to keep in mind no matter what manufacturer you go with.

- Good releationship with dealer!
- TEST DRIVE, TEST DRIVE & TEST DRIVE!
It amazes me how some people spend 40-50K + on a boat & never drove / ridden behind it. Your not going to buy a new car w/o ever taking it for a spin, don't make the same mistake on your boat.

"Weight them right and you'll get more kick than any malibu."

Maybe with 2x the weight as a Malibu? I have ridden behind multiple Centurions over the past 6 + years including my old one & rarely if ever will I say the wake/finish/reliability is in line with Malibu.

I will agree & say Centurion makes a great price point boat & has imrpoved over the years. It does ride good in chop but the wake is more sensitive to weight compared to other hulls that I have ridden behind on a regular basis. If price is an issue, Sanger makes a great boat IMO, if you are limited on funds & want a great wake for little cash check out the local Sanger dealer.

Everyone is intitled to thier own opinions & I wont bash anyone for buying the boat of their choice. Maybe you like the wake, graphics, layout, color for a paticular boat so do what makes you happy, just TEST DRIVE & have a great time on the water with your family & friends - thats what it truly is all about...

Lzy
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-10-2006, 2:07 PM Reply   
man i got to say rhat this is getin big and one thing is if you are talking about mb sanger or epic just to let you know that they are out of the question because there are no dealers for those around here so i hope you get the point. i like the boats but they are too far away. one more thing is that we want a good rough water boat and i want a boat that handles like a sports car no less. does anyone have any pics of newer malibus.
Old     (neffro)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
LZY I agree with you, there is sooo much boat bashing here it is getting lam. Every person is differant and has differant needs ( Cost, Wake size, dealer location, familey boat or just pure wakeboarding, size etc.) you get the drift.
TEST DRIVE ALL YOU CAN then TEST DRIVE SOME MORE. You will pick the correct boat for YOU in the end. By the way I own a centurion. will I buy another one? Probley Not only because my needs have changed but y Avalance has been a great boat for my familey and I. Great wake, Never had a problem, handles great in chop. And for all you that say the wake sucks FYI Centurion Avalance was voted in the Top Ten wakes in wakeboarding mag last year ( I think #6). The best NO but good it is.
Old     (jay_j)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-10-2006, 3:49 PM Reply   
I love Lamp...
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-10-2006, 3:58 PM Reply   
Not putting down Centurion. But just look at this.
http://http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=746
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-10-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Pictures of my 2007 Malibu.
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=2178
If you want wake pictures I already posted them in this other discussion.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/376379.html?1160288676
Nothing against the Centurion it may be a fine boat, but no local dealer that I am aware of, and thus it wasn't even in the top 4 boats I really considered (MB,CC,MC,Tige). They all had pros and cons, and for me the Malibu won at least in part on looks. As far as wake goes, if you can't enjoy the wake from it or any of the boats above (including Centurion) you fall into one of two classes. Either so bad the wake doesn't make a difference, or so good you should be able to get someone to give you a boat and driver for you skills. Lets not be comparing several year old boats to new boats, thats like comparing you old GF to your new GF, and that never does anyone any good. Is the Malibu better than the Centurion? It is in the eye of the beholder. Based on pictures I would have considered the Centurion had there been a dealer nearby, but she wasn't at the party, so I picked up the hottest "chick" there and brought her home and she has NOT disappointed me. In your case I think you should get the most expensive Mastercraft you can get your dad to shell out for (assuming he is really considering doing so) so you can tell yourself "they are just jealous" anytime someone teases your fragile ego or BE HAPPY he is wanting to buy a Centurion for your family.
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-11-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
Kevin - Very well put.
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-12-2006, 4:37 AM Reply   
Kevin I'v got to say that you have the greatest looking boat I have ever seen!!! thanks
Old     (kevin_lsv23)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-12-2006, 9:52 AM Reply   
Thank you, Colby. Only 100+ more payments left.
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-12-2006, 5:02 PM Reply   
ha! I just got some pics the boat that we are thinking of getting

Go to www.thepowersportscenter.com go to boats and look for an avalanche and a black and white 23 lsv
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-14-2006, 4:51 PM Reply   
what n more entries?
Old    walt            10-14-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Three or Four threads on the same topic didn't cover it ?
Old     (trentster)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-14-2006, 5:06 PM Reply   
Here is my 2007 VLX. http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=526

Trentster
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-14-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
didnt i see a centurion pushing 65k plus? i think Centurion thinks they are in the same group but they arent
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-14-2006, 9:54 PM Reply   
I am sure the Enzo 230 and 240 could get there no problem of course it depends on the options.
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-14-2006, 10:13 PM Reply   
quote: how often do people ride/go out in chop?

Well I just came back from Havasu and it was beautiful when we went out....those storms come up quick and I am glad we had the deep V when we were heading back! Of course most of the 30-40 foot boats were just laughin at the 5-6 foot breakers.

I second the build quality of the recent Centurions, very nice.

Upload
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-15-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
nice enzo but I would rather have an evelution tower and a fiberglass platform
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-15-2006, 2:47 PM Reply   
I know why I prefer teak over fiberglass but what makes the evelution tower better?
Old    wakesetter23lsv            10-15-2006, 3:50 PM Reply   
i just like the why it looks on an enzo not that its any better
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-15-2006, 5:01 PM Reply   
Bigshow - Def. a smart move not getting the EVO. tower. The Skylon tower is so much easier to use and cost much less to get racks, speakers,etc.

Sweet Boat! I ordered the same color scheme for a good friend of mine.He was smart too and got the Skylon (XTP east coast).
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-15-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Hmmm... I'm all about the function. EnzoSurfer’s boat looks awesome the way it is. I agree it looks like you have more rack options with Skylon towers. I'm not sure why wakeboarders need a big swim platform, smaller swim platforms don't interfere with surf wakes, the teak is smaller.
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-15-2006, 5:26 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! We are having a great time with it. Now if I can only teach the wife to back in the trailer, lol

I like teak too. I used TeakGuard 4 months ago and the swim platform looks better than brand new with just a towel wipe.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-16-2006, 5:16 AM Reply   
If you have never owned or been around a particular boat a great deal of time how can you say what is better. I've owned a Moomba and now Malibu. I would not try to put down any other boat not having owned one. I have a Malibu and all the hype about them is over rated. It's a good boat but the wake is over rated and the craftsmanship is as well. I like it overall but its a boat and boats have problems.The Moomba IMO you get the most bang for your buck. They are simple and produce a solid wake.My Bu is a great boat but I think their a little over rated. I cant give my opinion on anything I have'nt been on or around for any length of time.
Old    bruce_davis            10-17-2006, 12:17 AM Reply   
I have been real happy with my Centurion!