Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (deltardr)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-02-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
So i know this is probably going to piss of about 300 people but i really need help. Ive been riding since the beginning of summer and cant seem to get W2W. I dont know if im not cutting hard enough or what. Ive been working alot on my progressive edge but it seems like when i edge i dont get as much pop. Im an experienced snowboarder so i understand the whole edging idea. But everytime i come down i case the wake. I just cant get that extra foot to get on the downside. Our boat doesnt kick much of a wake since its a small runabout and it has a weight restriction so tons of fat sacks arent going to work. I've been watching alot of Lyman's stuff and it seems like he cuts less aggressively and just pulls himself into the wake, i seem to get more pop that way but less distance.Any help would be totally appreciated. Thanks guys.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-02-2006, 4:19 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/353030.html?1154557800
Old     (wakeboarder2687)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-02-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
I also have a snowboard background... in this case, its really not going to help much, you really need to load the line to get the most pop off the wake. Nothing in snowboarding relates to this. I assume as you start to stand up through the wake, you let off your edge. Try to stand up AND edge up the wake. In the future, you will get more helpful responses in the trick tip section
Old     (waterboy3)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-02-2006, 9:42 PM Reply   
look into "the book" dvd series. its an in-depth instructional. highly recommended
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-03-2006, 11:16 AM Reply   
"Im an experienced snowboarder so i understand the whole edging idea."

Actually, that's probably the root of the problem. Snowboarders usually take off flat and land flat while wakeboarders should take off on edge and land on edge. Focus less on speed at the wake and more about edging away from the boat hardest as you go through the top of the wake, not before you get there. Take it up, not out. If you do this, you should float right over the wake. Good luck.
Old    chingui77            08-03-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
im not a snowboarder. i also started this summer and i just landed a few W2W jumps last weekend. i dont know how much you know but a few things i noticed, first dont shift any weight just before the wake or you will slow down, just lean back and let the boat do all the work. when you get as far outside of the wake you want, wait, count to 3 and let the boat catch up, then just lean back. also if you straighten your legs at the base of the wake instead of trying to "jump" by pushing off the crest i get a lot more pop that way. hope that helps.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2006, 2:01 PM Reply   
Dustin, I can feel for you dude! I have been snowboarding for a long time but just could not seem to get the w2w thing going. For me it was more about being a wimp than anything else. Everyone kept telling me what to do: load the line, keep your legs straight, edge up and through the wake. I just could not get it. Then I finaly broke down and just edged all the way up and over the wake I went. An awesome feeling! The big thing is that it is not snowboarding and you have to stay on edge and not flatten the board out at the wake. It may not make mental sense but keep on edge and upwards and outwards you will go.

So Sack up and go for it!
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-03-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
Bro make sure you cut all the way out and use a progressive edge coming in.Also load the line make sure you let the boat pull you across this is key.Cut all the way into the wake, at the top of the wake stand up on your board and these two things will give you height and distance.I starterd out on a small wake it does not matter.You got it good luck.
Old     (cjromero77)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Sounds like you might not be cutting hard enough or not going out far enough. I had a long stretch where I was getting really good pop and nice vertical, but landing a foot short of the wake. I just need to go out further and progressively cut harder.

If you cut harder and build up speed, you should be able to stiffen the legs as you cut through the wake and clear it on sheer speed. Then you can add the pop.

I snowboard as well and it's somewhat similar, but also different. Hard to make a comparison here, because certain elements are so different.

Of course, snowboarding in the Mid atlantic sucks so bad that I don't get the time in the snow as I once did out west and in New England. Which is why I took up this!