Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    adrenalinejunky            08-09-2004, 12:44 PM Reply   
I bought an 04 Nautique Limited. It has 3 ballast tanks with the flat tanks in the rear. My friend bought an 03 team at the same time and it has the wedge tanks in the rear. When we ride behind his boat his wake was so much taller and has more of a peak. From what I understand they are the same hull. So the only thing that is different is the tanks. I added 80 lbs of weight to the top of my rear tanks and his wake was still so much larger and vertical. There is no other weight in either boat and we were going the same speeds so I don't understand why such a different wake. Can anyone explain the difference?
Old    maddie            08-09-2004, 1:08 PM Reply   
its just the make and model of the boat sum riders dont wanna fly wen they hit that wake they might wanna go more for distance than height i think that if you got that nice of a boat you shouldn't have time to sit here and talk to us u should be out riding 24-7 with ur boat or ur buddies i'd take either so who cares what the wake is ur boat looks awesome
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-09-2004, 1:13 PM Reply   
anyway, 80lbs on top of the tanks isnt going to change the wake. You will have to add like 500 on top of each tank and then 500 in the front to really change the wake.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Michael....I don't know what to tell you. Fact is, Team, Limited & Air for that matter are just option packages. They have nothing to do with the actual "hardwear(hull)" of the boat.

The hull under the Super Sport Nautique is used for all the option packages mentioned above.

There is always the chance that you have different props and there is a possibility that maybe this could make a slight difference....though that is just an assumption.

E.J.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-09-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
1500 lbs to change the wake....

I change mine with 2 extra bodies thrown in the bow....

Leo....I think he was trying to make up the difference in-between the wedge and flat tanks.

E.J.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-09-2004, 1:31 PM Reply   
Michael,

Are you and your buddy riding in the same body of water? Might be a long shot, but is there any difference in depth?
Old    crushgroove            08-09-2004, 3:49 PM Reply   
What model of Nautique? Air? or Sport? Direct Drive, or V-Drive? The weight of the engine in the back makes a huge difference in the wake, more difference than a few hundred pounds of ballast. We got the new 2004 Air 211 this year, trading in a Sport Nautique (direct drive) for that exact reason. Even with 1500 lbs. of ballast, the sport wake was only half of the V-drive's wake It was between that and the 04 210. The 210s wake was a bit more "peaky". It could almost buck you out of control. The 211 was slightly more gradual, and able to be controlled, but with still tons of energy of the wake. You can do anything you want off of it, with just a driver and ballast in the boat, but with a full ride, you got to be careful not to hurt yourself...

Another option is to add lead as ballast. It takes up hardly any room. You have to special order it, and watch your trailer specs. If you dock your boat, you could put as much as 1000 lbs of lead the back, center and front of the boat to balance it out.

ANyway, E.J. is right, Team, Limited are just options packages for the interior accessories. If you have the same model, the wake should be very similiar.

Nautiques Rule!!!
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-09-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Get some lead. I use 780 lbs in my Malibu. You can move it around and get many different shapes. For the SAN, more weight in the back and it is very steep. More in the front and it is more mellow. Don't worry, you can create what you want.
Old    adrenalinejunky            08-09-2004, 5:02 PM Reply   
Both are super air 210. I understand that the 03 and 04 are the same hull. Same day riding, same lake, same engine, same prop, same set up except for the wedge tanks. I just look and scratch my head as to why his wake is so much taller even after I add 80LBS of lead to the top of each tanks to makeup for the difference in weight of his wedge tanks. You would think the wakes would be identical. I like the peak of the SAN I'm just trying to figure how to get mine dialed in without adding 1500 LBS of lead.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-09-2004, 5:06 PM Reply   

quote:

You will have to add like 500 on top of each tank and then 500 in the front to really change the wake.

wow, was this from your experience? 'cause i've never experienced nor have i heard of anyone needing to use that much more in a super air. like e.j. said, the wake changes w/ just a couple extra bodies on board.
Old    tclagggym            08-09-2004, 9:40 PM Reply   
I've talked to a couple of pros who ride behind SANS and they use just what Joe said. 500 on each side of the tank and 500 up front.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-10-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
Adding weight to the front of the boat will make the wake steeper and taller. Adding weight to the back of the boat will give you more of a rampy wake. I would just get two or three heavy friends and have them move around the boat while testing the wake. Once you get the wake the way you want it then adjust your lead weight accordingly.

Also, keep in mind that an empty gas tank vs a full gas tank makes for a huge difference in wake size.
Old    akman            08-10-2004, 9:25 AM Reply   
Rootc, I'm pretty sure it's the other way around.

Adding weight to the front will make the wake a little more rampy with a longer transition.

Adding weight to the rear will make it steeper and taller.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-10-2004, 9:37 AM Reply   
I believe Gramps is right.

But, I think everyone is missing the point. Michael is saying that two boats with identical hulls are producing drastically different wakes with comparable weight and conditions. Unless the weight difference in the rear tanks is hundreds of pounds or more, it doesn't make since to me.

(Message edited by jarrod on August 10, 2004)
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-10-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Same rope length?

Fact is, unless Correct Craft accidently put a different hull on one of the boats(they didn't)...I just don't see how the wakes could be "noticeably" different. Remember, we are talking about stereos and stickers... Maybe 10lbs in stereo equipment...

Not to doubt the validity of your comments....but....this is UFO chasing. I don't mean that in a personal way and hope it does not come out too harsh. Just that if I am reading everything correctly we are talking about the same boats(same hull, same weight) having different wakes.... If those are the facts, all things are equal...well, we are on a snipe hunt.

E.J.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-10-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
Michael, Adding just a couple hundred pounds to the nose or tail of a SAN can change the wake pretty dramatically. My SAN is always loaded, but I can still tell the difference if a single passenger moves from the jump seat to the back bench. It sounds like you have 560 lbs in the tail while your buddy has 700+ lbs in the tail. That will make a noticeable difference.

(Message edited by mvda on August 10, 2004)
Old    adrenalinejunky            08-10-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. I have enough info to figure it out.
Old    ag4ever            08-10-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Also, if you have the stock prop and he has the stock prop on your boats they are not the same. the Team has a 16.5 pitch I believe, and the other versions have an 18" pitch. I have heard of that changing the wake some, but I can't imagine it being a drastic change. Also I would say there is more than 80 pounds difference between on wedge tank and a flat tank.
Also there might be a difference in the "equipment" in each boat. If his is loaded down with skis and boards, and vests, etc and yours is basicly empty we are talking more weight. if his has tower speakers, and yours does not, more weight. His has a sub, if yours does not, more weight. Amp?

All the little things add up to more than a little bit of weight difference.

Also there is a chance his packing on the shaft log is leaking more than yours adding additional water to the bilge, thus adding more weight.

I once had water up to the bottom of my oil pan in my SANTE, and thought the wake was great till I realised that I forgot to turn the bilges on, and that my boat was full of water. I took a while for it to all get pumped out.

Either way, just get more weight, and ride the heck out of your boat.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-10-2004, 2:31 PM Reply   
Have you tried running behind both boats with the tanks empty?
Old     (mdan)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-10-2004, 6:27 PM Reply   
try putting the weight at the rear of your tanks, it should peak it up some. You have the option to put 440pds of ballast bags on top of each of your flat tanks, yes, you can comepletely fill them up. Your friend will have a hard time filling 250's completely with the wedge tanks. If you do add more weight, you will need to add at least 400pds up in the bow, 500 pounder in the walkway etc.
Mike
2001 san / 2400pds wake is awesome.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-11-2004, 1:11 PM Reply   
You gotta be really careful when you are comparing wake size and shape. Boats can be very picky about how much weight and where it is. You would have to make sure you are comparing apples to apples, ie. exactly the same number and weight of people, exactly the same positions and exactly the same speed/ line length. My boat will go from a perfect wake to one that is super peaky (almost un rideable) and really wide with just another 200 lbs (one big friend) in the rear of the boat. It will only do this if it is already very weighted, but it does make a huge difference with that small amount of weight.

Anyway, with what you are saying about the wake shape I would try adding maybe 100lbs per side to the rear of the boat and go up from there. Gramps and J-Rod are right about the shape. The more weight in the rear the more peaky the wake will be. Just make sure you don't go overboard. Once you get the wake the way you like it take note and in the future ride with the same set up. I keep extra sacs in the boat so that I can get my wake the same no matter how many people are in the boat.

Hope that helps
Peace
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-11-2004, 1:27 PM Reply   
Guido, I'm diggin the lifevest in your profile pic.
Old    flyer            08-11-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
Not sure if it would make a big difference, but wedge tanks cram most of that weight as far back as it can go. Flat tanks spread it out evenly. The wedge tank will cause the transom to sink deeper in the water thus causing a bigger wake with the same weight; sort of a lever affect. This could be what is causing the different wake size. I run an 03 san with 1200 lbs of lead. Be carefull when adding a lot of weight to the nose, easy to get a wave over the bow at slow speeds. Good luck
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-18-2004, 11:09 AM Reply   
good point Mark.
Old    deltahoosier            08-18-2004, 11:26 AM Reply   
Are the speedo's calibrated?