Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-24-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
I am looking at a new tow vehicle/daily driver and like the VW V6 TDI but I am a little concerned that a vehicle like this will not last towing a 6500# package.

VW curb weight - 5357#
payload - 1186#
tow capacity - 7700#

If my tongue weight is 650# do I subtract that weight from the allowed payload? That mean only 536# of people and gear in the vehicle, correct?

The dealer let me bring the Touareg home and take my boat for a tow, check it out.
Attached Images

Old     (consigliereg8r)      Join Date: Aug 2009       04-24-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
[[/I]I'd be more concerned with reliability-- http://cars.about.com/b/2009/09/01/t...tdi-v6.htm#gB3
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2010, 10:01 AM Reply   
Yes the tongue weight counts against your payload.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-24-2010, 5:51 PM Reply   
air susp?
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2010, 8:01 AM Reply   
No air suspension. They have eliminated that option. It seems to have squated down about 2" when I loaded the trailer.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
I think the Touareg does a great job..

We've had two of them.. no issues at all with them.

Our 2008 has been a dream! Air suspension is a gift from the god's! No squat at all...

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-25-2010, 9:55 AM Reply   
Why did VW get rid of the air bag option. Seems like all the small SUVs have and need them when towing. I know my wifes LR3 wouldn't feel the same towing without them.
Old     (jjaszkow)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-25-2010, 10:13 AM Reply   
My last tow vehicle was a Touareg, and it did just fine. Maximum tounge weight is a bit low for the maximum towing capacity, but that shouldn't be an issue for a tow boat.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
I find that even 1/2 ton pickup, escalades, yukons etc all need air bag to prevent sagging of the arse ends.

Take any tow boat, fill the trunk with good, stuff it with 3-4 people and you'll be glad you have air ride!

I also use the air ride to help with launch ramps. I raise the truck on those long gradual ramps so the exhaust doesn't go in the water.
Old     (guma)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-25-2010, 12:19 PM Reply   
Be mindful of the GCWR - Gross Combined Weight Rating This is the max weight for vehicle, boat, trailer, gear, fluids, and people.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-25-2010, 12:36 PM Reply   
Where do you find this GCWR?
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2010, 3:28 PM Reply   
"Touareg is rated at 7700 lbs and the Touareg has a GCWR of 12900"
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-25-2010, 7:52 PM Reply   
WOW. can you actually stop that X-Star with that thing going highway speed? that boat looks like it would flip that little thing over. i can only imagine what a 230 would do to it.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2010, 8:00 PM Reply   
And here I thought you needed a 3/4 ton truck to tow these boats....

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showt...78583&page=999

I like the Touareg, but the reliability of my girlfriend's Jetta would keep me away.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-25-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
"WOW. can you actually stop that X-Star with that thing going highway speed? that boat looks like it would flip that little thing over. i can only imagine what a 230 would do to it. "

Dude.... I would take back that statement....

Do your research first before you go about flappin....

The brakes on the Touareg are much better than any 1/2 ton or even 3/4 pickup on the market.

Rotors are 350mm in size. 6 piston caliper in the front and 4 piston in the rear.

As in another thread Greg Tayor who tows a LSV wrote this.

"Answering questions above: The Touareg (and others in it's class)do fine with heavy loads. I tow a 23' Wakesetter and you don't feel the boat back there. My V10 has 350mm brakes.. so no problems there either. This isn't a "boardlline" situation... it's well within the limits of the Touareg and the boat does not effect how the Touareg drives. One major plus... my Touareg tops the scales at 6000#... that's more than most full size/large SUV's and full size 1/2 trucks. "
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=750278

Further more board memeber sp0tts writes:

"tro, that "little SUV" isn't so little, it weighs 5200 lbs. For comparisons sake there are a lot of pickup trucks don't weigh that much (a standard cab F150 weighs 4700 lbs. and a Silverado 1500 extended cab with a standard box only weighs 80 lbs more).

and to compare brakes, these SUVs can go from 60-0 in 112 feet. Here's a link has braking distances for trucks from most manufacturers:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks....1/braking.html

needless to say, the shortest distance was more than 30ft longer and every average was over 40ft longer from 60-0 than these SUVs.

The only advantage a pickup or suburban could have is a longer wheel base. There's only a 6 inch difference in wheelbase between these SUVs and a Silverado standard cab. The crew cabs are around 30 inches, which one could argue is significant, but the brakes and suspension on these vehicles more than make up for the wheelbase difference IMO.

Now are these vehicles for everyone? No, some people like trucks or have other needs. Are these vehicles a safe and more than capable tow vehicle? Definitely. "
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       04-25-2010, 9:42 PM Reply   
wow. that looks like that a very well thought out response. i really can't take anything back. thanks for responding though.

BTW, it is almost impossible to believe that someone towing a 23 foot boat with one of these couldn't feel it back that there. which makes me question the rest of these quotes you have on here.

peace.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2010, 10:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti2lo View Post
I tow a 23' Wakesetter and you don't feel the boat back there.
This might be the most overused statement in all tow vehicle discussions. It is uttered at least twice in every tow vehicle thread, and it's utter garbage. It's what people say when they want to justify their choice in tow vehicle to others. It doesn't help your argument. In fact, it's such a lame statement it casts doubt on all your other arguments.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-26-2010, 4:33 AM Reply   
so because the guy says he tows his 23lsv with his v-10 500+ft lb torque (twin turbo?) Touareg you doubt it has little effect on it?

I crack up everytime I read the "tow vehicle" threads if you dont have a F350 with supper swampers or 22" rims your not a real man pulling a boat.

The touaregs are more than capable of pulling these boats, and they can even do it safely, without the 22" rims or the powdercoated frame.

The fact that you doubt the guy talking about his v10 touareg casts doubt on any response you could have in this thread.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-26-2010, 5:18 AM Reply   
"I crack up everytime I read the "tow vehicle" threads if you dont have a F350 with supper swampers or 22" rims your not a real man pulling a boat."

I agree. Seems like a Macho Man thing to me.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-26-2010, 5:21 AM Reply   
I wanted to include that i have nothing against F350s 22" rims or superswampers and powdercoated frames, cuz I think it makes the vehicle look cool, and adds style. Was just using it as an example.
Old     (smitty1258)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-26-2010, 5:30 AM Reply   
Ok OK. Im with the other guys now, theres now way a Touareg can pull a boat, its not powerful enough, its not safe enough, and furthermore the vehicle isnt made to pull anything. I mean our boats weigh a lot more than a 747

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/22/t...di-tows-a-747/

Just kidding. I think the touaregs are fine.

Also on the comment on highway speed braking, most trailers have surge brakes to assist with braking.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2010, 6:11 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
This might be the most overused statement in all tow vehicle discussions. It is uttered at least twice in every tow vehicle thread, and it's utter garbage. It's what people say when they want to justify their choice in tow vehicle to others. It doesn't help your argument. In fact, it's such a lame statement it casts doubt on all your other arguments.
LOL, I couldn't agree more. I have an '07 Denali with a 6.2 liter engine...tows the boat great, but I for damn sure still know it's back there, especially when I put on the brakes! (which is actually why I'm in the process of getting an SSBC front disc brake kit right now).
Old     (jesutton)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-26-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
I've got an 08 V10 Touareg and my previous tow rig was an 05 Avalanche. Yes you can feel the boat is back there in both. I haven't ridden in anything towing a boat that you couldn't feel something back there.

I will say the Touareg tows circles around my old Avalanche. I was a little worried when I hooked up the first time because the proportions seem off. But I was proven wrong before I even made it out of the neighborhood.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-26-2010, 1:10 PM Reply   
Outside of the US vehicles the same class as the Toureg are considered gourmet tow wagons. The V10 in particular is a beast.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-26-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
Yeah, but can it stop that 747 at 65 mph? lol.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2010, 8:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesutton View Post
I've got an 08 V10 Touareg and my previous tow rig was an 05 Avalanche. Yes you can feel the boat is back there in both. I haven't ridden in anything towing a boat that you couldn't feel something back there..
Bingo! This was the point I was trying to make. I have no beef against the Touareg. I am also not somebody who tows with a lifted F-350 on 22's. I 'm sure BOTH tow great, safe, etc.

I just hate the "can't feel the boat" claims I keep reading in all these threads. I'm pretty sure you can feel a 6,000 lb. boat/trailer combo behind all these tow vehicles.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       04-27-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
I guess everything is relative, I could certainly "feel" my little 21' boat behind my Silverado, but I certainly feel it less behind my 8900lb H2. It is funny to think that growing up that we pulled our 23' foot bayliner behind my dad''s cutlass. lol. Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it is a good idea (747).