Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2015, 12:48 PM Reply   
On my boat trailer the fender in the center seems really weak. The previous owner pointed out that the fender has started to buckle from people standing on it. The metal just seems too thin. I know there are several ways I could re-enforce this but I was curious if there is anything like a re-enforcement bracket already made to buy off the shelf before I go off and fabricate something. If you look at the picture and the center of the fender, you will see the sag. A lot of trailers in the past that I have seen have a center support strut in the center.

Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-04-2015, 8:10 PM Reply   
If it's any help, and if it is...VM Trailers were very supportive when I needed assistance with a different issue!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-04-2015, 8:33 PM Reply   
Is that who makes the Sanger trailers?
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2015, 12:21 AM Reply   
That trailer looks like a Sport Boat trailer. I'm pretty sure they sell replacement fenders.
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-05-2015, 2:18 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure you could just weld a gusset in the middle and repaint the spot.
Old     (jbird)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-05-2015, 6:07 AM Reply   
VM is what my '03 sits on! Look for the serial plate!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-05-2015, 7:53 AM Reply   
Joe, that was my thoughts as well or even bolting something in place. I'm a mechanical engineer so coming up with something wont be too hard but at the same time if there is something already made, I always find that the easiest path. I thought I have seen trailers have the strut bracket in the center support the fender but I looked at pictures of my last boat and there weren't any.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-05-2015, 12:14 PM Reply   
My trailer has about the same gauge plate for wheel fenders as yours. But the outboard flange drops down a lot further than yours, and has a rounded-V shaped protrusion sticking down on the centerline between the two tires. I believe that flange design is what gives most of my wheel fenders their rigidity in mid-span.

You could make something like that out of an elongated strip of aluminum plate or the like, and fasten it with a row of fasteners to your short flange. It would look good enough without a lot of fuss.

Last edited by john211; 08-05-2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: sp
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-05-2015, 12:18 PM Reply   
Let's see if I can upload a pic.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-10-2015, 9:04 AM Reply   
Good idea there John. A piece of angle or thin c would fix that pretty easy. ill have to look at mine and see if its doing ok