Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-19-2014, 10:38 AM Reply   
Would like some feed back from anyone who runs this with there PP. I have a 2006 X star with MCX and if I load more then 2000k ballast PP just won't stay engaged. The paddle wheel was placed in the middle of the boat just in front and to the left of the drain plug. Or if anyone has some good kdw, NN and CS settings that work please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       01-19-2014, 10:42 AM Reply   
I installed mine last summer and have had a really good results with it. It took me a while to get the kdw and nn settings right but once I did it holds great.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-19-2014, 1:49 PM Reply   
I doubt the NauticLogic GPS receiver will fix your problem, all it does it report GPS speed using the same signal a paddlewheel sends. Unless you're having issue with losing reading or inaccurate reading from the paddlewheel I'd expect no change. Fix that first, then consider GPS.

Advantage of GPS over paddlewheel is accuracy at higher speed, and I suppose no need to calibrate. Somewhere around 30-35 MPH my paddlewheel begins to read slow and gets the difference between indicated speed and actual speed gets greater as I go faster. Under 30 MPH it's dead on

Anyhow, if you can't figure out your issue give PP a call. They were helpful when I had issues.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-19-2014, 2:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
I doubt the NauticLogic GPS receiver will fix your problem, all it does it report GPS speed using the same signal a paddlewheel sends. Unless you're having issue with losing reading or inaccurate reading from the paddlewheel I'd expect no change. Fix that first, then consider GPS.

Advantage of GPS over paddlewheel is accuracy at higher speed, and I suppose no need to calibrate. Somewhere around 30-35 MPH my paddlewheel begins to read slow and gets the difference between indicated speed and actual speed gets greater as I go faster. Under 30 MPH it's dead on

Anyhow, if you can't figure out your issue give PP a call. They were helpful when I had issues.
I'm thinking it could be paddle wheel placement. Yesterday I was running the 400 flyhigh sacs in rear, KGB and another 500 in the bow walkway and it did fine. As soon as I fill the stock hard tanks which would be another 500 in rear the PP constantly over and under shoots speed and will never lock and settle.

Old     (imscarlet)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-19-2014, 2:50 PM Reply   
Try maintaining constant speed manually with the same ballast config as PP when having problem i.e switch off PP and see if you can maintain a constant speed yourself manually using the throttle. If you can't keep it at a consistent speed you may find that you will have to look at the prop as the ballast load for it maybe to heavy for the engine/prop combo.

BTW have you checked with your dealer that the ECM cal files are all up to date as there properly are some updates for the speed control side as well being 1st gen fly by wire engine
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       01-19-2014, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by imscarlet View Post
Try maintaining constant speed manually with the same ballast config as PP when having problem i.e switch off PP and see if you can maintain a constant speed yourself manually using the throttle. If you can't keep it at a consistent speed you may find that you will have to look at the prop as the ballast load for it maybe to heavy for the engine/prop combo.

BTW have you checked with your dealer that the ECM cal files are all up to date as there properly are some updates for the speed control side as well being 1st gen fly by wire engine
I will try that nxt time out, I haven't checked for any updates to ECM, I am currently running the OJ 14.25×14.5 prop.

Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       01-19-2014, 4:58 PM Reply   
I had one on my centurion. It worked great. You can make adjustments on the display so it reads faster, it definitely helps with the gps. I have debated on putting one on my axis....but it is slightly behind a ballast upgrade and prop upgrade.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       01-20-2014, 7:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevev210 View Post
I'm thinking it could be paddle wheel placement. Yesterday I was running the 400 flyhigh sacs in rear, KGB and another 500 in the bow walkway and it did fine. As soon as I fill the stock hard tanks which would be another 500 in rear the PP constantly over and under shoots speed and will never lock and settle.
Doubt that would cause PP to disengage, but it could be possible. If paddlewheel is not getting a good constant flow (i.e. coming out of water or getting aerated water) it will read slow or dip slow then pick back up. In my DD I put the paddlewheel in the recommended location at front of engine slightly behind center drain and offset to port side. More or less under my alternator.

I wish I had placed it more towards the stern, maybe 6" - 12" in front of the raw water pickup. On a hard right turn the paddlewheel will read slow and result is PP gives all the throttle it can while in the turn and you need to manually throttle back to maintain speed and avoid whipping the rider. Turning less sharp and no issue, and can turn as sharp as I want to left and it'll hold speed. So I'd suspect if your paddlewheel was getting poor flow through water due to more weight in back and bow being higher it would be trying to accelerate rather than just disengage.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       01-20-2014, 7:15 AM Reply   
I have an Xstar and upgraded to stargazer... It has been perfect ever since... Dump the paddle wheel and drop some peso.. It's well worth it.. I run up to 4K of ballast... Holds within .2 mph..
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-20-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
On my first inboard, the PP was paddlewheel based, and it was possible in chop to have the wheel come out of the water. I also had a problem with one of the veins breaking off the paddle wheel. At first, it was just a slight piece off, and the effect on performance was negligible. Then, once the entire vein came off, it surged like crazy. Just a thought.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-20-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
Mastercrafts are a bit touchy on their settings. I helped a friend fix her VERY erratic perfect pass with the recommendations in this thread:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=49216

I would go through that exercise first. Then determine if you still feel you need GPS. I added the GPS to my Centurion with Nauticlogic and it works GREAT.