Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Ok I have been going round and round about stereo stuff and have a basic plan but need some input about equipment.

I know for sure I will use an Alpine 9857 Head Unit with the I-Pod controler

I am looking at running 8 Polk MMC 6500 Momo (125 RMS) on 2 Alpine MRV-F545 Amps rated at 100 RMS x 4 at 14.4

2 Kicker L7 Dual 2 ohm 12" subs (750 RMS) running in off of one Zapco DC 1100 or Alpine PDX 1000 running in parallel

Tower Speakers- Fusion Phoenix (200 RMS 2 Ohm) or Skylon Rubicon 350's (350 RMS)
Sub for Fusions would be an Alpine MRV-F545 (150 x 2 at 2 ohms) or an Alpine PDX 150.4 (300 x 2 4 ohms) for the Rubicons

I am going to use 4 Trojan AGM 6V giving me a total of 400 Ah. I will put an onboard charger in the boat (any recomendations as to a good on?) and I am looking to run a 2nd amp (135 amp) with a Balmar Regulator.

Look it over and help make suggestions as to what you think would be better or what products you have had good success with.

Thanx

(Message edited by oaf on August 01, 2006)

(Message edited by oaf on August 01, 2006)
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
Why the component Polks ? I dont think you get the full benefit of a component speaker in a boat. I use the MMC 650 Coax which would match up better to your Alpine amp wattage wise and I doubt you would notice much of a sound difference. If your set on the 6500s I would get an amp rated at least 125w or higher to push them. As for the tower speakers go with the Rubicons if you want sound to the rider, I heard a set of them last week and they're very nice. I use Wetsounds 80's and they're very comparable to the HCLD Skylons
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
I was looking at the MMC 650 for price reasons. Or at least 2 pair component and 2 pair co-axil. I would like to mount the tweeter up higher so I can get the advantage of hearing the highs. Can the Amps RMS be more than the RMS then the speaker? Thanks for the input
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2006, 12:19 PM Reply   
Yes with midbass speakers its always best to get an amp thats rms output is rated higher then the speaker. Its harder on the speaker to underpower it. If the amps rms is higher then the speaker just set the gain appro and your amp wont have to work as hard.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-01-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
I agree with KG, go with the co-axials in a boat. To do it right go with the Pro-audio tower setup. All the systems are good, I run 4 Pro 80's now. I think your charging system is a little overkill. but if it makes you feel better go ahead and do, but IMO, not worth the $$$$. your underestimating the golf cart batteries. 2 will/shoulllast you almost all day. rough estimate but your system is roughly 2200 watts RMS, but rarely will your batteries ever see a constant draw that high. I cna run 2100 watts all day on my pair of trojan t-105's at loud volumes...granted they are down to 50% at the end of the day , but will still start the boat.
Old    bocephus            08-01-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Based on this information, I assume none of you guys actually run a "marine" amp. I'm a little concerned about my amps getting wet and having to replace them. With this in mind what are some brand names or model numbers of some amps that are not going to break the bank on initial purchase and replacement if they get wet.

Thanks,
Bocephus!
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       08-01-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
memphis audio, kicker, hifonics, audiobahn.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
Reason for a second Alternator is this. I leave my boat 250 miles away from my house in storage. When I get to the river I will charge my batteries if we get there at night if not I don't and I put the boat in the water. During the time I am on the water my boat stays in the water and will not come out until the end of my trip. I only get about 1-2 hours of charge on the batteries while I clean the boat before I take it to storage. My T-105 have been abused here in the dry CA desert heat and will last about 2 hours before I need to charge them anymore. Big reason I am going with the AGM this time around. I see the extra Alternator and regulator system costing me under a grand which is much cheaper than going to a HO Alternator or a Genny set up.

What Co-axials do you recommened? I have heard good things about the Diamond Audio and Polks.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
I have used both the Polk DB's and currently have Momo's. Both very good speakers. The DB's are a lil less $$ then the Momo's. If I did it agian would probably go back to the Dbs.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
KG-
Thanks that is good to know. I was thinking of going with the dbs based upon price vs looks. Plus the look of the dbs are nice as well.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-01-2006, 1:25 PM Reply   
If you go with the DB series get the 6.75 lil more midbass then the 6.5s
Old     (phall925)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-01-2006, 2:08 PM Reply   
Not trying to start a war over what equipment is better but have you looked at memphis marine stuff. I love Alpine but when it somes to a boat I like to run as much marine equipment as I can without sacrificing saound quality. I have the Memphis marine coaxials 6.5 six of them. They scream and are super clear. The amps are awsome. Your setup sounds like to would really scream I would just go to a coazial set upo on the speakers and then bump the watts on the cabin speakers
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I am entertaining all ideas. Polks are marine grade speakers if you didn't know. Ihave heard good things about the memphis marine speakers. I will have to take a closer look.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-01-2006, 8:33 PM Reply   
Coach,
Have you heard the Rubicon 350s?

I've been working with my Rubi450s for a week now. I'm not going to say anything yet other than listen to them first. I'm struggling to get mine to come around to what I expect out of them. I may end up switching to Wetsounds or going back to my home grown pro-audio setup. Though in all fairness to Skylon, I need to spend some more time working with them, I just ordered another amp so I can throw a touch more power at them.

They have a really nice fit and finish, though.

(Message edited by yosquire on August 01, 2006)
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-01-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
I have not heard the Rubicon's. If I could find someone who has them or a shop that carried them I would, but as for now I am limited to opions on WW.