Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-19-2006, 10:13 AM Reply   
How many of you guys are running a Generator for your stereo? If so how did you set it up. I have seen many custom boats run them with an open area in the back of the boat, where as the wake boats have 3 compartments so ventilation will be an issue. Thanks for any help.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-19-2006, 10:30 AM Reply   
you could hook up exhaust fans and have them pull air out and exit thru the blower exits on the rear of most boats. But in most cases not very pratical. A very large alternator would be cheaper. I'm not to familar w/ marine generators, but I know they are water cooled, similar to the motor.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-20-2006, 8:55 PM Reply   
Could be done, but not a whole lot of point to it. A generator's gonna put out 120v and you're stereo equipment's built to run on 12v. Not to mention 120v in the wet environment of a wakeboat would be quite dangerous I agree with Adam, a high power alternator is you're best bet. Also check with your local alternator shop. Many times they can rebuild your stocker to produce at least a little more amperage. If you buy a high-output alternator, make sure its spark protected for marine use. Sparks + fuel vapors in enclosed bilge = BOOM

DKJ
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-20-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
It can be done. You take a Honda EU200i and run it with a cascade power supply ASP 75 with the smart charger adaptor. Run the exhaust through a new bilge type fitting out the side of the boat. Turn the Gen on when the batteries are getting low or you know you will be beached for a long time. The power supply takes over. If you want to charge the batteries up you will need to run the smart charger adaptor (plug it in). The key behind it is to vent the compartment, which means opening the hatch and adding another blower to the compartment to keep air cirrculating. When it is time to move on turn off the gen and let the altenator do the work.

Most high output alternators only work if you run the engine all the time, so if you are always running the engine it is a good choice. Also you need to have a bank of 3 or more batteries to get max use from the Alternator if not you could be putting too much charge on the batteries and damage them. I tend to beach the boat a bunch during the day and play the stereo hard.

High output Alternator = $1000 plus install
Generator= $800 plus power supply / charger $370

Price is a push for the most part becasue I would still need and onboard charger for the batteries. It just depends upon if you run the boat most of the day or if you beach it to hang out.

I just wanted to see if anyone has done this setup on the boards. Doesn't look like it. Plus I think I will be spliting the cost of the Gen with a buddy who does a bunch of MX riding and dry camping in the winter. I get it for summer use and he takes it for winter use.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2006, 3:01 AM Reply   
You can get and have installed if you cant a 95-100 amp marine alternator for way less then 1000. Your battery bank for running will be key and therefore most expensive item.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2006, 6:39 AM Reply   
A 95-100 Amp Alternator is what many boats all ready come with. Problem being is I boat where it is 115 + most weekends. The Alternator will not put out the full say 100 Amps in that type of heat but more like around 75-80 when running not at idle. At idle it will put out even less. And with a battery bank of 2 or 3 batteries or more it is doing very little to charge the overall system. When I look at High output Alternators I am talking about a Stinger 200 Amp Alt.

Batteries are key and a whole new can of worms. I am looking at an 8D AGM type battery which is a beast in itself at 160 lbs. If storage allow it to fit then I will use it because it has 250 Amp Hours and a rediculous reserver time. But like you said it costs $400 so it is not cheap. But it is less than 2 group 31 AGM's.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2006, 7:08 AM Reply   
Coach, don't know how far you are from the coast, but you could get ideas by looking at some of the bigger crusiers. My parents have a 38' formula cabin crusier. They have a 5kw generator on board. In order for them to run it they have to switch power from the 12volt system over to the generator. I'm assuming there is some sort of power converter b/c you can run most of the 12v items off of it. Just an idea.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-21-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Coach,

I understand what you're wanting to do and why you want to do it. However, running a portable generator in an enclosed part of the boat is just a bad idea. Neither the engine nor the alternator on that generator is shielded correctly for an enclosed installation in a boat. You run a grave risk of having an explosion, especially with the boat stationary. Fuel vapors collect at the bottom of the bilge, and if they were to build up to the height to the genset, the she's gonna blow. I know you plan on adding ventilation and opening a hatch, and that may even make it somewhat safe. However, that doesnt make it legal.

If, god forbid, there is an explosion, it will be investigated by the authorities and that generator is gonna stick out like a sore thumb. When your insurance company gets the report, they'll deny your claim because the install breaks more than a few USCG regs; read your policy. At best you're still gonna be making loan payments on a burnt up boat. At worst, someone could die and not only will you have the guilt on your conscience, but you'll also likely be subject to a lawsuit for wrongful death, also not covered nor defended by your insurance company. They could seize your house, your truck, pretty much every thing but the clothes on your back to satify the judgment; then they garnish your wages for the forseeable future. Not to mention the possibility of prosecution for criminally negligent homicide.

I'm not raggin on you or trying to scare you out of your plan, just stating the facts. In my opinion, its not worth the risk. You asked for an opinion, and thats what i've given you.

There is a viable option for you to use your plan safely. Install a shore power plug on the boat, and store the generator below deck. When you need it, get it out, plug it in, and run it on deck. I know its not the pretty and clean install you're looking for, but at least its somewhat safe.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Since when are boats coming with 95-100A alts? Most are 55-60A, last I checked.

Anyway, I concur with the majority - a good hi output alt is the best solution. There was also a thread recently about running multiple alts, one chick had something like 6 or 8 of them on a big aluminum plate with a chain drive. Crazy.

A good marine genny is gonna run over $3k easy, not to mention all the adaptation issues.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Trace I think boat manufacturers offer a 90 amp alt upgrade. I think. But most stock alt's are right around 60-70 amp.
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2006, 10:06 AM Reply   
Derek,
Thanks for the input. That was a topic of debate that has gone round and round on another board. It is a viable concern. Thanks for the input. I was more or less looking to see if someone has done a gen set up on the boards and what it looks like.

Trace,
I wouldn't be using a Marine gen. too loud and expensive. I have throw around adding a second Alt to the boat, but have not research into it.

Thanks for the input.
Old     (flux)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
There is some nutjob powerfreak boat mod guy who added a very serious charging system to his boat and a ton of batteries and custom turned pullies and a powerful alternator. Grant form Soundillusions audio is the guy.

The system is made by Balmar and he built it for massive capacity so he could DJ for the whole lake for the entire day and then recharge while while heading back to the launch ramp.

I say this with sarcasm because his boat mods are insanely good as is the charging system.

Search for the posts on "Balmar" and it will come up. It's probably the most powerful charging system out there and I am envious.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2006, 10:21 AM Reply   
My 06' VLX has a 90amp alt stock-My 01' MC had a 55amp alt. At least the manufactures are starting to catch on.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-21-2006, 10:42 AM Reply   
How many amps do you estimate your current system is pulling?

easy solution...6 golf cart batteries=$390, roughly 675 amp hours total., and buy a large battery charger, say another $150.

I have a decent sized system...rouglhy 2100 RMS total, and on apir of golf car batteris running 60-70% avg volume for 8 hours will only deplete them down to aorund 50-60%.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-24-2006, 3:15 AM Reply   
Pretty much same thing here, 95 amp alt with a set of 2 golf carts, temporarily connected to the rest of the electrical system (need to get it all split sometime)
Old     (oaf)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-24-2006, 7:47 AM Reply   
Adam,
I am looking at running around 2000 RMS as well. I am going to run either a 8D AGM battery with 250 Ah or 2 Group 31 AGM running about 220 Ah. I will have a 90 Amp Alt. I am going to start with the battery set up and see how it goes to start. I am going to buy the power converter / on board charger as well for charging purpose right now.

Right now in my boat running only 400 W I have 2 Trojan T-105's which is 225 Ah. I can push it hard for about 2 hours before I see a drop in power. The problem with wet batteries is I store everything in the desert and it take a lot to maintain the batteries. I am sure they are damaged from all of the heat and the water levels dropping. I will be going with an AGM for the next battery.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-24-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
I'm guessing it's the dry heat that wears on them? I've had mine in my boat (stored outside on a lift (covered)) and have not had to add any water. I check about every 90 days. Thsu far they have been 0 maint. I'm in houston, summer heat is high 90's, low 100's with 70-100% humidity.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-26-2006, 8:08 PM Reply   
I was thinking of setting up a generator set up for a SAN. But because it wasent gonna be on my boat and I had not tested it we decided it would be better to do the standard large battery bank and a 2nd alternator.

If you wanna do somthing like this and you dont mind spending 5k e-mail me and we can talk out it.

Option #2 A traditional charging system. I.E large case alternator and a large battery bank with 400 plus amp hr's

Be ready to drop $3000.

Im real happy with my charging system. Ive put like 100 hrs on it so far and its worked flawless. Its pricey but hell anything that is good is right?