Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2011, 9:39 AM Reply   
...Are they any good? how are the wakes for wakeboarding, as well as wakesurfing? what problems to be aware of? Differences between models? general pros and cons?

Thanks
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-12-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraf View Post
...Are they any good? how are the wakes for wakeboarding, as well as wakesurfing? what problems to be aware of? Differences between models? general pros and cons?

Thanks
Launch is more or less their designation for a boat setup for wakeboarding. There are a bunch of different models. Launch 21, Launch 21v, Launch 20SSV, Launch 22SSV, Launch 24SSV and I think there might of been a launch SL and Launch SS at some point. Anyways, what one or one's are you looking at?
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-12-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
I have only ridden behind a sacked out 24ssv and it was hands down one of the biggest wakes I have ridden behind. Super clean as well. If I was not such a sucker for the pickle fork I would have definitely considered buying one.
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-12-2011, 10:39 AM Reply   
honestly they are all pretty good you should go test them all!

wakeboarding is good on my 21 but i have never even bothered to try and surf, too boring for me
Old     (mastercraf)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-12-2011, 2:17 PM Reply   
Sorry let me clarify....Older models from the late 90's and early 2000's...

http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=29666
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=27927
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-12-2011, 2:36 PM Reply   
have spent countless hours on/behind the boat below and will say the following....
- the wakeboard wake is excellent, not to rampy, not too steep, just perfect. in deep water, it's huge. the plate does a great job tuning the lip (halfway is best).
- surf wake is average, however you cannot surf much because the swim platform cuts into the wake and the upward pressure will break a bracket.
- easy ballast, just flip the switches and ride. the boat won't porpoise no matter how many passengers sit in the cabin (with no one in the bow).
- with full ballast, you have to ride between 23.0-24.7, which is comfortable for most. drop the ballast and you can ride at 20.
- the swim pad will rip due to poor design. as you cross you step down onto sharp corners. i've never checked, but maybe these can be ground down.
- wide gunnels make it easy to stand and transfer boards, or you can swing the board racks into the boat (simple pin that you take in/out).
- rail along the back platform makes it easy to grab (miss that on my sante 230).
- mechanically my buddy hasn't had many problems. the stereo has been some trouble, but otherwise the boat is super solid (his repairs/expenses have been low)

http://www.aquamarineofanderson.com/...61&pov=2203512
Old     (fizzz)      Join Date: Nov 2010       10-13-2011, 6:33 AM Reply   
I love mine, we run about 3k pounds of ballast and the wakeboard wake is sweet, surf wake isn't bad either, but I think the boat is about maxed out at that weight, reliability wise great boat IMO
Old     (jsmilez321)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-13-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
I Love mine too.. I've got the 2000 dd with almost 1050 hrs on it... we put about 1500lb in when we ride and she performs.... i have only had it for a year but have put 150 hrs on this summer... the guy i bough it from was a noob had to redue the prop and replaced the entire cooling system, but i just simply change the oil every 50-70 hrs and put a new impellar in it.... the only issues i have had is some electronic stuff but the guy who had it before me did some crazy stuff to the stereo so thats my winter project.... but all in all great hull and great wake... I even heard from the Supra dealer in Knoxville that was at the PWT say the hull on those boats are so popular they brought it back with moomba MOJO 2.5 just a little deeper ....so for ballin on a budget they are the shizz and really easy to work on....
Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-13-2011, 12:15 PM Reply   
I think they throw a great wake. My uncle has a '99 dd launch and I love his wake. That is the main reason why I looked into Supras so much and ended up with ours. Couldn't be happier with it.

Not sure about wakesurfing though. We tried it a couple times with a makeshift board and it did not work so well.
Old     (adam1680)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-15-2011, 8:59 AM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=30772

Here's mine for sale.. There's a picture of the wake from a few years ago (we really only run video these days). I'm 6'2" and it's generally around my thighs and the wake is more steep and less rampy than say a Wakesetter, so you definitely want to go out and try it and make sure you like it. I have some friends that have new boats and always would rather ride mine, but there are also people who are not fans. It also makes a big wakesurf wake, but I don't have any pictures of that, sorry.

If you do a search, there are other forums about this boat and how to weigh them properly and such. I put the Center Gravity Games fat sac from the nose and it goes down the middle almost next to the steering wheel (Which we fill to like 800lbs), the fly high rear seat sac on the floor behind the engine compartment (600ish lbs), and then the tube sac in the ski locker in the back (350 lbs) and the wake is huge (all depending on how many people are out). If you ever watch any old wakeboarding videos, you'll see that boat being used. We're selling to upgrade to a new boat, and my wife definitely yells at me asking "what's the difference" between ours and a new one. Definitely still a serviceable boat to ride on a weekly basis for a reasonable budget.
Old    TN22            10-17-2011, 7:48 AM Reply   
What are you looking at upgrading to? I think the previous post about the new Mojo having the same hull design as the old Launch is right. So if you really liked that wake you might want to check it out.
Old     (adam1680)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-29-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
I'm thinking about upgrading to a newer SAN 210. We're going back and forth about selling it though since we're also doing some semi-major home remodeling projects as well. If it sells, cool, if not, we'll ride it again next year. I haven't really heard anything about the Mojo, thanks for the info.