Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-24-2010, 3:36 PM Reply   
So I stop by Costco on my way home from work to get a price quote on a set of new tires for my 2004 Mini Copper S. I'm trying to get away from buying run flats cause of price ($300 each for 205/40R18) I told them I want 215/35R18, because of the bigger selection and they will fit better with the lowered suspension. Costco told me they will not sell or install a set of non-run flats on my Mini. I was like WTF, anyone else have this kind of problem? I know I can find tires somewhere else but to refuse to sell me something was just plain BS.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-24-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
I had an F150 and wanted to put 285s on it, 265s were the biggest per FORD so costco wouldn't do the 285s. Neither would Les Schwab. Best bet is to go to discount tires direct.com (which is the same company as america's tire) get whatever you want online, pay no tax, sometimes you even get free shipping, then pay $100 to have them mounted, balanced, and dispose of your old ones. Did this for my wife's car and we came in at $250 less than what america's quoted me at the shop! So same company but going online saved us all that money. You just have to deal with transporting them down there. Better yet just take them off at home and take the wheels and tires down in your pickup.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2010, 8:50 PM Reply   
I find TireRack.com to have the best online prices usually.
Old     (ritchieps190)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-24-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
I've had teh same experience. On 4 wheel or all wheel drive, they want you to buy 4 tires too. They aren't even that good of a price either. Just replaced the tires on my wife's highlander last year, and our local tire shop beat Costco's best price by $70 and it was a better set of tires...
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-24-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
Same problem with Walmart...it was a bit of a pain, but I just put the truck on jackstands, pulled the tires and rims, took them in and got the tires I wanted. If they don't know what car or truck they're going on, they can't refuse...
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-25-2010, 5:29 AM Reply   
+1 for tirerack. i saved almost 150 per tire for my f150. They happened to be on sale as well/.
Old    deltahoosier            05-25-2010, 4:58 PM Reply   
It may have something to do with rim design. I don't know if run flats have the same issue as say tubeless vs tube tires on motorcycles.

Most likely an issue of weight and speed rating of the car. After the big Ford tires blowing out issue a few years ago, many companies are scared to death of the liability of selling a tire that does not have the weight and speed rating for the car. I have had this issue before. Different brands of tires in the same size may not have the same weight and speed ratings. I think you can even get into that with different size tires within the same line of tire.
Old     (PictureMeRollin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-25-2010, 5:00 PM Reply   
I'm sure its a liability issue for Costco and they are playing it safe. Take the wheels off and have the tires mounted, or go to your local tire guy who doesn't have a bunch of bean-counters running the operation.
Old     (jstewart319)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-25-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
I'm sure it was a liability thing and I told them what is the difference if I just bring them the rims or what if I take one of the old OEM rims and throw it in the boot(trunk) and say it is my spare. His answer was talk to the manager. At that point I said ok thanks (not worth the trouble). Talked to NTB and Firestone and they had no problems selling non-run flats. I decided to go with Firestone at the local military base. Getting the size I want non-run flats tax free all for under half the price for run flats. If I get a flat I can call for a tow and still save money.
Anyone ever use that green slime stuff or something similar to fix a flat?
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-25-2010, 6:15 PM Reply   
I've used the latex tyre in a can stuff, or tried to. Didn't work at all on the trailer when we blew out a tyre I think because the boat was too heavy to let it set properly just kept blowing all the air out. On a Mini it might work OK.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-26-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
I tried that stuff when I first went to college. I don't know about the green slime but the stuff in the can is not permanent. I was also told that you have to make sure that you tell the next guy who takes the tire off since there's some kind of danger involved if you don't tell them. That stuff will probably be good to go until you can get it repaired properly.