Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old    hockeyruss            07-15-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
ok, this is not my boat, which should be under construction as we speak, but here is some photos of the new VLX, check out the new windshield and steering wheel. I like the new Wakesetter graphics.
vlx
vlx1
vlx2
Old    amass            07-15-2003, 12:58 PM Reply   
Sweet!
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-15-2003, 1:08 PM Reply   
Yeah, that's nice looking.

B-
Old     (jroyal)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-15-2003, 1:42 PM Reply   
Gotta love the swivel seat.
Old    boardfox            07-15-2003, 2:07 PM Reply   
What are the changes from the 2003 besides the graphics and hardtank center mls?
Old    dmpappy            07-15-2003, 2:21 PM Reply   
Looks like Sony stereo. Adios JBL (POS).
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-15-2003, 7:11 PM Reply   
What model number is the '04 Sony deck?
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-15-2003, 9:19 PM Reply   
I have been trying to find out the model number of the Sony deck also, i called malibu and they "didn't know" so if anyone does please tell!
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2003, 11:14 PM Reply   
The new windsheild looks great. What are the other major changes?
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2003, 11:27 PM Reply   
Is the vlx still the flagship wakeboard boat, or are they releasing the lsv with the new hull?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-15-2003, 11:48 PM Reply   
I was hoping for a new hull this year to trim up the wake. Bummer, that would have got me to pull the trigger.

A more vert wake and a bigger gas tank would make the VLX the ULTIMATE wakeboard boat, IMO.
Old    hockeyruss            07-16-2003, 3:53 AM Reply   
I should get my boat the end of next week, so I can answer your stereo questions then. I have an Xpode 12" sub, 600w 4 ch amp, and 2 Liquid Audio Sony Xplode Tower speakers waiting for it to arrive. The 2 best things that happened for the new model year is the hard tank for a center ballast, and the conversion to SONY. My last boat was an 02, so I never got stuck with the JBL, but their are horror stories all over about that stereo. Even though I think JVC (which I had), JBL, and Prospec are all the same company and are located here in the Charleston area.
Malibu is touting the LSV (23') to be the Flagship of the Wakesetter series. It remains to be seen if it will take over in tournaments or on the Just Ride Series.
Old    boardfox            07-16-2003, 8:01 AM Reply   
I am going to the Malibu open and they will have their line of 2004 boats pulling it this weekend so if they change to the LSV as their flagship wakeboard boat then that boat should pull the open. Also the LSV has a telescoping ski pylon can anyone tell me if the VLX will have this?
Old     (aoblak)      Join Date: Jan 2002       07-16-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have heard that the pylon will be an option on the 04's
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-16-2003, 8:47 PM Reply   
the pylon is standard, My new vlx goes into production at the end of the month (can't wait:-)) although I am considering the lsv, want to drive one first though
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2003, 9:43 PM Reply   
Wow, so far I like what I am seeing.
Old    turk_kildare            07-16-2003, 10:27 PM Reply   
I drove the LSV today. It was pretty nice and I really liked the new gauges and the holding of the 2 gorilla fins. The larger platform was huge on the back and had a butt shape in it. Wait until you see the XTI?
Old     (paublo)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-17-2003, 7:34 AM Reply   
When I was at Powell in June, Malibu had at least one of everything there for a photo shoot. Maybe the new catalogue. I wish that I had taken a little time and looked more carefully.
Old    boardfox            07-17-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
Was at bell Aqua today setting up for the Malibu open and I got to ride in the 2004 VLX and watch Gator, Wes Brisco, and Melisa Marquet ride. The New gauges and dash look sweet and there is a telescoping pylon and new graphics look sick. The boat I was in had the new illusion tower and it is ugly as hell. Also the new wakesetter doesnt pull to the right as much as the old one when backing up. Anyway can't wait until I get mine next week.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-22-2003, 2:27 PM Reply   
Motors are going up 5 H.P., new windshields and thicker vinyl are some more changes. I know the new stereo's are the X-Plode series and are MP3 and XM compatible if that helps??
Old     (bruce)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-22-2003, 2:56 PM Reply   
Where is the clamshell? Dang it, I want a clamshell, and a floor latch that I can stub my toe on! Come on people...AGH!
Old    skihardkore            07-22-2003, 6:30 PM Reply   
SWEEEEET! I WANT ONE
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-22-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
does some one want to buy 1 for me?
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-22-2003, 8:18 PM Reply   
I think I've found the model number for the CD player. It's a Sony CDX-MP40. Here's a link:

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SONCDXMP40

Here's a pic:

MP40
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-27-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
I posted earlier this month on another 04 VLX thread, and I knew a little about the changes for the 04 because I had just ordered mine. Thanks to Guy Coward at Malibu for the factory tour last Thursday. I did take pictures through most of the factory, so if anyone would like to see a specific process, I'll see what pictures I have. Thanks to Steve AZ for all of his boat tests and reports to help narrow my decision. One thing I learned on my tour is the front MLS will be hard tanked on the LSV, not the VLX (Still a bag). Here are a few pictures and one of me in my new boat. Now if I can just wait until it gets here.

Greg
side
back
blue
dash
greg
gregsvlx
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-27-2003, 6:17 PM Reply   
The Blue and White boat in the 3rd picture is sweet. I really like the design. Is that an option for 04 or a special boat??
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-27-2003, 6:29 PM Reply   
As far as I know that will be an option. I only saw that design on 23 footers. There was another one in red and black that looked better than the blue and white one, but the picture didn't come out as well.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-27-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
Greg could you post or email me the red and black one??
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-27-2003, 10:19 PM Reply   
I think the malibu boats look sweet. I don't understand why they can't get the tower right. Last year I saw some with a shape like the new X-star. The next time I was at the shop they took them all off. Every time I see a picture of a malibu it has a different tower on it. Mastercraft has an awesome tower, Nautique has the FCT. Malibu is the only one of the top boat manufactures that dosen't make their own tower. Why? Seems important for a boat that is Wakeboard specific.
Old    wantboatnow            07-28-2003, 10:28 AM Reply   
Malibu offers three factory towers, so what that does is offers the customer a more personal, custom made boat to their needs and likes. Not everyone likes the Titan and same with the Skylon. Malibu designed the Illusion tower and had Titan make it, if I remember correctly. So, Malibu does have their own tower design.
Old     (vortech347)      Join Date: Aug 2000       07-28-2003, 11:29 AM Reply   
The blue and white boat looks awesome. The Titan tower looks just fine to me. Having a friend with one and using it regularly I have become a big fan of the Titan. My only complaint with them is the factory bimini is a real PITA to put up/down compared to the one on my FCT.

As far as them offering multiple towers goes, what does it matter? Nautiques don't normally come from the factory with their towers installed. The dealer usually does it. You can get different towers installed by your dealer when you buy a Nautique as well. My guess is it's the same with other boat makers, too.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       07-28-2003, 5:24 PM Reply   
that blue and white VLX is an AMAZING looking boat, classy yet super stylish
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       07-28-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
Will, here you go.
Old     (bazel)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-28-2003, 6:33 PM Reply   
Thanks Greg, that looks really sharp.
Old    hockeyruss            07-29-2003, 4:28 AM Reply   
Greg, post a pic of the retractable pylon, I would like to see how it operates. Can't wait, mine finally gets out of the mold tommorrow. Man, it has been a long month!
Old     (s4inor)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-07-2003, 12:01 AM Reply   
The pylon works just like the one that is used on the XTi's. You pull it up and twist to lock it in place, and reverse the procedure to lower it.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-08-2003, 2:50 PM Reply   
Does anyone have a pic of what they call the "gold" decals. I'm looking for new decals, and don't think the "graphite" will look good on my zephyr hull with blue accent stripe. thanks....
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       08-08-2003, 8:56 PM Reply   
Not to sound smart and I really like Malibu - but am I the only one who looks at that blue and white BU and thinks "Glastron 1977" I think it's a step back in their design team. Oh well, it always looks better in person, on the water, just after sundown, 4 brewskis etc, etc.
Old    hockeyruss            08-09-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of mine as of Thursday. I am taking delivery next weekend, finally....the hold up next week is the custom trailer I am having made.

Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-09-2003, 11:24 PM Reply   
Pretty. Is that a metalic blue? Very nice, you must be getting excited!
Old    hockeyruss            08-11-2003, 3:54 AM Reply   
No actually it is ebony (black) and graphite (gray) on the upper and lower hull. I wanted to veer away from the standard white this time. I actually ordered it with color above the rubrail so the black should be a little higher, but somehow that got neglected, no biggie. I love the stainless steel exhaust tips.
Old    karma2burn            08-11-2003, 2:29 PM Reply   
Some comments on the VLX wake, I just spend a summer running contests and instructing from an 03' VLX. In the process I learned quite a bit about how to weight this boat. It is probably the most versatile wakeboarding boat in regards to wakeshape I have ever used. Somebody earlier had mentioned this wake wasn't steep enough. I had heard the same comment when running the boat with stock ballasts and instructing riders who spend their time on Nautique Super Air. What I learned is that by changing the weight distribution I could drastically change the shape of the wake. More stern weight = Steeper wake. Full ballasts, 300lbs in each V-Drive Box and about 350lbs in the bow is incredible. Drain Ballasts to suit wake shape and plaining time preferences. Within a few experiments I was able to produce a wake that had Nautique owners coveting the VLX. It had the vertical height, the steep transition and maintained the hard/high energy wake the VLX is known for. If you want REAL STEEP, Drop 400lbs in the bow, fill the ballasts and run the wedge. If you have questions regarding what I learned on weighting of the VLX or other tips. Post 'em.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-12-2003, 8:44 PM Reply   
Marc, I took the tanks out of mine and have 540# Launch sacks on each side, center ballast and a 375# lockers sack in walkway and the wake is awesome and very close to X-2 and if you drop the wedge, WOW! We prefer no wedge and weight.