Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2009, 5:30 AM Reply   
David - What do you think about having a WakeWorld trick of the year?

We really have no input on the Wake Awards that I am aware of, so the little people should have our own trick of the year. Prime example is Sean O'brien's new trick. IMO, way cooler that a 10.

Just a thought.
Old     (cakeeater)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2009, 6:58 AM Reply   
his 7 was very cool, but you cant even compare the 2 tricks... rathy hit a massive double up, went huge, and did a BACKSIDE 10...
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-27-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
And Sean spun a 720 while tossing the handle spinning and catching it again, all while holding a nose grab for more than 540 degress of the rotation, no big deal.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-27-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
Here is how I see it
1080 > 720
Wrapped < Osmosis
Rathy grab < SOB grab
Dub < Wake-2-wake
Rathy lands clean = SOB lands clean

SOB wins 3/4
with that all said I think that the mobe720 also would have a damn good chance of winning, thats some crazy stuff.
Old     (cakeeater)      Join Date: May 2009       08-27-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
you call that clean? fyi sean's trick was a nominee for trick of the year. both are amazing, but a back 10 takes the cake
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-27-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
^ Um yes I call that clean. He landed, didn't butt check, didn't put his hand down.... he landed and rode away... not much more a guy can do.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2009, 7:37 AM Reply   
OK boys and girls, let's not argue at this point which trick is better. Let's see what Dave thinks. I am sure there are some other tricks out there that have yet to be fully recognized.

I am merely making a suggestion to have a WW trick of the year to let us vote on what we think is the best. My point here is that, unless you are well connected in the industry that you may not have known , using Sean here as an example, that Sean was even nominated for trick of the year. It seems like these guys, who are equally deserving of coverage, are being overshadowed by big name pros who get all the coverage.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-27-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
How about styish move of the year, or riding innovation of the year. I think a 10 is more worthy than an osmosis nose 7 or HS FS 360 rewind to 180 (Bob Soven) for trick of the year, but those last two are both very deserving of a innovation award IMO
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-27-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
I didn't even know osmosis 7 was even possible
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-27-2009, 9:51 AM Reply   
SOB in my book...

Lots of 10's have been done, how many Osmosis 7's
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-27-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Both are incredible and you could argue the nuances of each trick but there is no objective way of comparing bomber moves like these. So when it come down to opinion, votes or a peoples choice award would be the way to go.

My vote would be for SOBs move, but it is a tough choice.
Old    K.B.C.            08-27-2009, 10:30 AM Reply   
Both unbelievable, no doubt. With that being said, Rathy's Back 10 gets my vote...
Old     (norcalbordr)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-27-2009, 10:47 AM Reply   
What about the Wakeworld trick of the year has to come from a rider who posts on wakeworld...If you post on here and you catch a sick trick on video, post it and you are in the running. Voted on by WW members, landed by WW members.
Old     (tom13knotek)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-27-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
SOB nose ousmosis 7 is wayyyyy sicker then the back 10
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-27-2009, 3:49 PM Reply   
Ewing you werent very specific when you say 10s... I could say back... how many 7s have been done? The fact that its backside and the other is osmosis is what makes both moves that much more amazing. And to answer both questions, Only one guy has done a backside 10 and only one guy has done an osmosis 7

And since we're playing this game :-) How many people have stomped an osmosis 5? (Zane Schwenk, Shaun Murray, Matt Simms, Sean O'Brien, and I'm sure there are others)

How many have stomped a bs 9. Sorry Rusty (even though he did land and ride away from the first which is amazing) Danny Harf and Aaron Rathy.

bs 10 gets my vote though both are truly amazing feats
Old    murrayair            08-27-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
Rathy's 10, then Phil's Moby 7, then SOB's 7 or Steel's w2w 10 in my book.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-28-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
I will definitely consider a Move of the Year category for next year's Riders Choice Awards. The problem I see with it is that our awards are not as "prestigious" with the pros as the Wake Awards. Therefore, we're less likely to have a trick submitted to us because many riders will "save" it for the Wake Awards. So then you have to ask what happens if the trick has been done, but it hasn't been submitted to us or the trick has been done but we don't have rights to run the footage? It's a little bit complicated, but we'll figure out something. Maybe we should offer a cash reward for the winner. Who knows?
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-28-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
Can you run it after the wake awards and include some stuff they might have missed or that got landed after the fact? Like SOB's osmosis 7 I don't think got entered this year.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       08-28-2009, 10:59 AM Reply   
I like the Idea of having it for wakeworld.com Memebers. the gnarliest trick they stuck this year.

My Vote would be for Colin Ryan's NEWLY STUCK Hoochie to Blind 360. Yeah stomped too!
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-28-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
Rusty BS 9 was all handle pass not wrapped so I think his would be a little above rathy's and Dannys BS9's, Roby stru did osmosis 5's back in the day as well. I think it is impressive that SOB can osmosis 7 ts and hs, that is pretty baller. Also since we are talking about first here, how about Darin Shapiro bs 180 and hs fs 5 pulling the rope under the board, that is pretty amazing as well.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-28-2009, 11:09 AM Reply   
Rathy - Backside 1080.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-28-2009, 11:10 AM Reply   
Sean's 7 win's my vote. Rathy's 10 won and I'm stoked for him and that trick.

$1,000 says they are completely stoked on one anothers tricks as well.
Old     (rorowake)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-28-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
SOB's was entered at Wake Awards.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-28-2009, 12:14 PM Reply   
We always run our awards voting during the busiest month of the year, August. So changing the dates is not an option.
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-28-2009, 2:06 PM Reply   
good point txwakerider, It was all handlepasses so it does have that advantage over Dannys and Aarons, but the fact that Danny's and Aarons were stomped and grabbed (my opinion, call them slaps if you want)... places them over Rusty's in my personal opinion
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-28-2009, 3:04 PM Reply   
Aaron Rathys was a slap, but DHarfs was a GRAB and I will give it to him over rusty's for that because in my opinion a wrap trick isn't cool unless you make use of the first 360 and grab yo