Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-10-2007, 12:26 PM Reply   
So I've been trying to find old threads but haven't found a whole lot, what are peoples opinions/overall knowledge regarding the spray pockets on tiges? I have a 99 21i and have been toying with the idea of filling them. Is there anyway that would hold up for say a half hour that was not permanent? Obviously trial and error with fiberglassing and gelcoating and then possibly having to revert to a former design is not cost prohibitive or effective. Has anyone filled them on a 21i? Just seems like if theres too much weight in the back I need to go too fast to make it worth it... not the best boat for wakeboarding but it gets the job done I guess... any opinions or suggestions?

Duane
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Duane

1 - Mask off the entire spray pocket.
2 - Lightly spray glue the area and put some fleece or cloth on to the glue.
3 - Apply resin to cloth and let harden.
4 - Remove the cloth... and you should be left with a hardened mold of the spray pocket.
5 - Fill with spray foam.. and then you can play with different shapes etc...

As for temporary afixing to the boat... hmmm... I would used caulking... and then maybe some vinyl sign material on the edges.

Try different things out and see what you get...

Keep in mind...

New X-Star and Moomba XLV chose to keep spray pockets... don't know why...

There was a post on here a couple of years ago.. a guy with the Fox Racing edition 21V filled in the pockets and added 300lbs+ bonus!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-10-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
wow informative post! thanks, didn't think about vinyl for going over the temporary material, as that stuff sticks great and is thinner than say duct tape. I may try it sometime this summer I just imagine the hydrodynamic forces on the corners like that have got to be tremendous, especially considering the surface area I would be adding to the hull bottom...
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-10-2007, 1:03 PM Reply   
Any idea what would happen if you had a form protruding out the side of the boat and was curved downwards... so as you move the boat forward... water would grab and suck the back end down...

Who knows... things to play with!