Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    nicole_dg            08-15-2006, 10:56 AM Reply   
Me and my brother have been wakesurfing for over a year now, and we have read many posts about different boards. We currently own a CWB tsunami and from time to time use our skim board, it works! We own a Moomba Kamberra with tower, we have two 400lb ballasts and it makes a pretty nice wake. We ride goofy and our level is from intermediate to advanced but are working on 360s and getting air. we are looking for a high performance board that will help us grow as a rider. I am 5' 8" and weigh around 145. my brother is 6' 1" and weighs 155lbs. Thanks.
Old    surfdad            08-15-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
Maybe we can make this a general aplication for folks. Great input so far Nicole, now let me see if we can narrow down the options for you.

Is storage important to you? The more advanced surfstyle boards (foam and glass construction) tend to need more care and won't fit in a standard board rack.

Do you have any aversions to certain materials used in the construction of the boards? (ie wood or resins that aren't environmentally friendly)

Where is your budget? Would $200 be pushing it? Or is cost no object?

What tricks do you aspire to achieve? Do you and your brother both look to do big spins? (skim style) Or do you think you're more inclined towards slayshing? (surf style)

Do you mind having the board shipped to you, or would you prefer to buy it from your local pro shop?
Old     (wakesurfer54)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-16-2006, 12:43 AM Reply   
i ride the tsnami to.i took off the 2 outside fins and i kept the middle on and the front one i do 360 and shuvits on it and lil areals hopefully a 3 shuvit if i start riding again alot
Old    nicole_dg            08-17-2006, 9:02 AM Reply   
Storage Isn't very important to me. I have plenty of places to put the board other than a board rack, and I don't care what the board is made out of. I'm not to worried about the price. 400$ would be my maximum most likely. I think we our more into a skim style board. We would like to do spins but also do aerials. Not too interested in slashing. We live in Raleigh, North Carolina and there is not many proshop around there. I would like to be able to see it or even test it out especially if its over 200$, but I understand if I can't because there are not many shops around here. So in other words I guess I don't mind getting it shipped. Thank you for your help.
Old    surfdad            08-19-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
There are four significant skim style wakesurfer manufacturers. They are Phase 5, Inland Surfer (with it's new 4 Skim), Walzer and Calibrated. (Victoria and a handful of others also make boards for behind the boat) Both Inland and Calibrated have PROMISES to sell, but aren't fully ramped up for production. The Inland 4 Skim, won't ship until '07. Calibrated has some of the white pintail, but I would suggest you hold out for their new Lovett pro model, it will be significantly lighter and with killer graphics.

So, if you want a board TODAY, you're looking at a Phase 5, Walzer or a Vic (the Victoria is easier to find without traction or a fin).

The Phase 5 Icon is probably the best choice and easiest to find. The folks at Phase 5/Zap have a pretty good dealer network, and also sell online. Although, Walzer can customize a board for you pretty quickly.

http://www.phase5boards.com

If you can wait a few months, the Inland 4 Skim and Calibrated Lovett Pro model show incredible promise.

(Message edited by surfdad on August 19, 2006)