Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    palmoya            06-25-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
Engine pic looks like a carb, but dealer description says "310 Hp Vortec Motor". Sounds injected.

Is it a TBI? I can't imagine someone buying an '02 bu with a carb.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/6/6/72203366.htm
Old     (michale)      Join Date: May 2004       06-25-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
holley 550 to 650 carb
Old    blr            06-25-2004, 12:08 PM Reply   
pamoya, that is a dual inlet holly. I would guess a 750CFM carb with an electric choke (black circle on the side). I have not seen a FI unit that has the exact same body as a carb, so i would say that is a carb. not fi
Old    palmoya            06-25-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
I recognized the electric choke from my 4.3 carb, but wasn't totally sure.

What hp would this motor be with FI?

What a waste.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-25-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
310 HP, and not a waste. 10 years ago, motors at 265 hp were stroking. You may spend a little more time getting her started, but not a waste IMHO.

Daniel
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-25-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
btw, that is a nice looking boat.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-25-2004, 1:42 PM Reply   
Looks like a Holly double pumper (two float bowls). It is a good carb.
Rod
Old    hockeyruss            06-26-2004, 5:00 AM Reply   
Not injected, 310hp is indmar (for malibu's) base carburated 5.7l engine. Fuel Injected version brings it to a minumum of 325hp (depending on year could be 325,335 or 340hp).
Old    palmoya            07-06-2004, 12:10 PM Reply   
I love this boat, but at the top of my absolute must-have list for my next boat is fuel injection.

I am a perfectionist when it comes to engine performance and can't understand why someone would want a fuel delivery system that is manually adjusted (carb) when a computer can adjust it to absolute perfection and efficiency every time.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2004, 1:58 PM Reply   
given the choice, i would be very reluctant to buy anything with a carb ever again. that's not to say that a good carb can't be tuned well and work perfectly fine. i just suck at tuning carbs. :-)

that said, boat EFI currently cannot operate in closed-loop mode like automotive EFI. this is because oxygen sensors do not work in a wet exhaust, so the computer has no feedback mechanism to tell it if the engine is rich or lean, so it cannot correct on the fly. boat EFI fuel & spark curves are a "best guess" for assumed typical operating conditions. (intake air temp, elevation, humidity, etc)

on that note... i don't know, but i would assume that boats sold in higher elevations would have to have a different fuel curve than those in areas closer to sea level? thus, if one buys a boat from out of state, they should get it reflashed?

(Message edited by trace on July 07, 2004)
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-07-2004, 2:30 PM Reply   
If they use mass airflow sensors, altitude differences should't matter. I'd assume that they probably do.

If, however, there are EFI systems out there that use the older vane-type airflow meters, altitude will definitely make a difference. Most likely, the boats would be calibrated at sea level and run rich at altitude. I'd think that manufacturers would have compensated for this. Maybe they have a sensor?

My old BMW has a barometric pressure sensor that is meant to lean out the mixture at altitudes above, I think, 5000-6000 ft. The problem is that if the sensor goes bad at sea level, the motor goes BOOM! Needless to say, I have disconnected that sensor here in Austin.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-07-2004, 4:57 PM Reply   
my 96 Monsoon uses a MAP sensor, no MAF. here's a great article on cars, not sure how much applies to boat EFI.
http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/enginecontrols.shtml
Old    tommyadrian5            07-08-2004, 6:51 AM Reply   
Waknup, that is correct, but the Indmar TBI engine also puts out 310 HP, because in essence it is the same engine as that sunsetter with an "electric carb"
Old     (wakeshoe)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-08-2004, 8:10 AM Reply   
Palmova,
I don't think Malibu does anything different to the engine than Skier's Choice (Moomba & Supra). They use the same Indmar engines. For them, the carbureted Vortec is 310HP and the same engine with EFI is listed as 320HP.
Old    palmoya            07-09-2004, 8:44 AM Reply   
I'm not as concerned with the HP. I think anything over 300 is plenty for my uses.
It's just that when I upgrade, fuel injection (of some sort) is what I am most looking forward to.
I don't think I would be so against the carb if I could get my carb'ed Four Winns running as perfectly as I would like.

I really like that boat though...