Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-25-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
http://silverglen.2sdaze.com/

There is a renewed effort by the most recent Ocala National Forest District Ranger, Rick Lint to restrict boating access to Silver Glen Spring. Boaters will loose access if their voices are not heard.

The attached website has just been established to represent boaters who use or have enjoyed a visit to the Glen. Sign up for email alerts, write an email to the Ranger, and at a minimum send in the petition and forward this email to others.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2009, 7:39 AM Reply   
I surprised those of you who run the St. Johns river to the Glen have not commented. I hope those who don't want their rights limited take the time to sign and mail a petition.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-26-2009, 10:34 AM Reply   
Its just the Glen right? Gotta say - with the way the law is in there - I dont care if I ever take a boat in there again. (Note - my profile pic IS the Glen).
Everyone will just probably tie up at the mouth and canoe / float in on a tube.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
I know what you mean Ted, the Glen has changed over the 15 years I've been going. However, I go all the time and the only time I've experienced heavy policing is on the the big three; memorial, 4th and labor day. Other than that I usually zero to 1 patrol on a half Saturday or Sunday.

I guess the real point is they want to eliminate boats 100% and I'm tired of bunny huggers closing recreational areas. One day the entire river will be closed as a manatee preserve. I'm sure everyone on this board struggles with their "party cove" issues and if not you will.

If you want to ride dirt bikes and 4 wheelers in Ocala they are limiting that also. It's public land and there is room for all but every time you loose something they move on to the next area.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-26-2009, 1:45 PM Reply   
I hear you man - I guess I kind of have a jaded opinion based on the fact that the only time I have been to the Glen would be the big three.
Sux about the dirt bikes and 4 wheelers too. That may change my mind on purchasing that Kawasaki...
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-26-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
It was nuts 10+ years ago and people were getting hurt so it was inevitable. I will say that with friends and my small kids, it's a better place but I would not choose that versus the limited rights.

The alcohol ban was basically to give the authorities some control but it sure hurts those who don't go over the line as I am sure I did occasionally back in the day. If I want something to drink, I put it in a cup and nobody pays attention unless there is reason.

Sign the petition, one day you may want to make it a family outing.