Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-13-2018, 12:00 PM Reply   
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/u...T.nav=top-news

Have seen the same thing happening in East Texas where I spent all my summers growing up.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-13-2018, 3:49 PM Reply   
I grew up in a small town in Wisconsin. I'm part of the problem or an illustration of the problem. Moved right after college to S. Cal. Love visiting Wis, but couldn't live where I grew up.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-17-2018, 7:35 PM Reply   
1 2 3
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-19-2018, 7:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
1 2 3
What schools are closing in East Texas? and what communities have been affected?

Not sure when you were last here in ETX, but we are WAY behind the curve on keeping up with population growth and kids attending the ISD. We approve a school bond about every other year and they're constantly under construction, with Tyler Lee (if it can keep it's name) getting a $200M renovation that began in October.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       06-19-2018, 11:23 AM Reply   
That's great to hear that Tyler is healthy! But Tyler is not a small town.

I spent my summers in Linden and the surrounding areas (been to/through Tyler many times) and Linden is hurting. It's really only survived this long because of the county seat and the historical significance of the courthouse. My mom worked very hard to raise funds to get it completely restored... unfortunately the town square around it looks like a ghost town now =(

We were there for xmas 6 mo ago.

When I said "I see the same things happening" I meant the same trend (not that schools are immediately closing).
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-20-2018, 12:24 PM Reply   
that's tough. not a whole lot there to attract new residents.