Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
I have recently got back into wakeboarding, and I don't know much about the boards. I am looking to get a new board. I currently have a cwb kink 140cm. I like the board, I"m thinking I would like a shorter board. I"m 5'10 170lbs. I"m thinking like around a 137? does this sound right? What would you guys recommend. I would say I'm a intermediate rider, I'm still working on airs, and spins are about all I do right now.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Get whatever is most comfortable for you. Most will recommend you stay at the current length or even get a longer board, but IMO there is no perfect length with respect to a person's height. It's about you having a good time.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 9:33 AM Reply   
I would think a shorter board is easier to spin and little closer stance??
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-11-2011, 10:15 AM Reply   
What you need to consider is that a closer stance is going to offer less stability. I would recommend going as wide as possible while still maintaining comfort. A longer board can still offer a narrower stance. Look at it this way, if a person comes and gives you a shove, will it be easier for you to maintain your balance with your feet closer together or further apart?

IMO, a shorter board isn't necessarily easier to spin in the grand scheme of things. Perhaps if you are comparing boards greater than 10 cm different in length.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
What do you guys think of the 2011 ronix 138 district?? or HYPERLITE TRIBUTE 137
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-11-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
137 is pretty small for 170lbs I'd say but its really preference.

Unless you can articulate what characteristics you are looking for in a board I'd say the CWB is fine .... you can adequately progress on that board with no problem. I wouldn't waste your money just yet. Also, don't count out flex when you do finally decide to get a new stick... at least demo one. Some hate it, some love it... but you never know till you try. I'd also lean towards flex if you plan on hitting the cable as well (seeing as you live next to WakeNation)... My Slingshot blows any other rail board I've ever had out of the water plus more and more people shred them behind the boat for good reason... cushy landings and good pop.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
flex is a board company? or a board from a company?
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-11-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Flex is a fairly new technology (not a board) that has been adopted by most board companies for select boards. It basically allows the board to bend under pressure rather than being rigid because of different "core" materials/designs. Slingshot was the first company devoted to an all flex line-up but most other major manufacturers offer a flex board in their line-up. They take rail abuse longer, allow for more style when on rails, they provide "give" or cushion on big landings (some would argue reducing shock on your knees), and there are many that argue they provide a certain recoil effect coming off the wake which generates additional pop.

There are plenty of people that hate on flex boards, but almost every new board company that has come out in recent years has predominantly a flex line-up... and every major manufacturer has seen it fit to make at least one, so to me the proof is in the pudding

Jason Hammons at the American Boat Center in Knoxville is a great resource for Slingshot and I'm sure you could demo something there... or ask Pete and the guys at WakeNation when spring comes around and I'm sure they can hook you up with a demo flex board on the cable.

Check out some of the vids here for more discussion: http://www.slingshotsports.com/wake_videos
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
so everyboard slingshot makes has this material?? what would be a good board from them, for behind the boat? I'm intermediate rider, so still learning. need a good middle of the road board.
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       01-11-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Might wanna go a size up there. I'm bout the same height and weight and just got a 143 watson hybrid, coming off a 142 company, but I had a 136 shane and witness before them. Landings are a little easier I've noticed on a bigger board and didn't really see a difference in terms of how easy they spin.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-11-2011, 1:37 PM Reply   
The Choice is a great all around board

http://www.slingshotsports.com/2011-...category=31583

If you're primarily riding boat tho I'd look at the new Ballistic series, the Hooke, Newton or Kine. They are a little stiffer for boat riding.

http://www.slingshotsports.com/wake_boards_men
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 2:33 PM Reply   
is the ballistic series just meant for boats? or will the other be ok for boats too?
Old     (Musgrove)      Join Date: Dec 2010       01-11-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
check out obrien on their website
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       01-11-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
All of their boards can be ridden behind the boat. They just stiffened up the Ballistics because most people prefer a little stiffer flex for the wake.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       01-11-2011, 2:45 PM Reply   
gotcha.. thinking maybe the newton is the way to go.
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-30-2011, 6:01 PM Reply   
Humanoid any of there boards ride great behind the boat.