Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-30-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
I cant get the wake to clean up on the driver side of my boat for the goofy surfers. My theory is that because it's a left handed rotation on the prop that its only good for the normal riders. Any one with a pro v know how to weight the boat to clean up the driver side wake for surfing? I usually run a 350# bag on the rear seat 700 under the floor a 250# bag in the driver side trunk with a 50# dumb bell. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-30-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
Your theory is correct
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-30-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Do you have a wakeplate? It really seems to help on every boat I have been behind.
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-30-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
I don't like it when people assume that the prop spinning one way is the only thing that affects the wake.

Our X-15 last year had a better wave on the goofy side compared to the port side. So does the VLX I think. Those are both left hand rotations.
The XStar doesn't throw a goofy wake at all, though.

I'm not saying it isn't playing a part, but it's a combo of a few different factors.
Speed, hull shape and weight distribution are major factors too.

How about a pic of what it looks like, maybe that would help diagnose it.

I would say try using weight different and try changing your speed, since they're the only parts you can change easy.
Move it around some, and I'm thinking you could use more weight.

Just my .02
Old    surfdad            05-30-2009, 2:53 PM Reply   
Larry Mann of Fresh Air Exhaust and now asylum boardz, a goofy foot rider, always says that "the direction of the prop rotation is A THING not necessarily THE THING" when working on the darkside wake.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-30-2009, 4:29 PM Reply   
Memorial Day weekend I had an #ssload of weight in it and still didn't net the results I was looking for. I had a 250# in the driver side trunk, a 35# plate, 2/50# dumbells a 350# bag on the seat (drivers side) and probably 4 adults one of which was standing on the gunnel hanging off the tower. At a dead stop the rubrail was only about 2 inches from being at water level. I tried different speeds, well rpm's actually cause I done have P.P. I was running at 3200 rpm with that amount of weight. Also at the time there were 4 11 year olds in the bow so another 350#? I'll get pics next time I'm out.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-30-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
Wakeplate! You need to calm that prop wash.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-30-2009, 4:48 PM Reply   
Mine only has the fixed cavitation plate.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-30-2009, 5:02 PM Reply   
Does the factory offer it? I switched my avalanche fixed plate out for a electric lenco one for around 300 dollars and it totally cleans up the wave!
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-30-2009, 5:08 PM Reply   
I'm sure the factory probably offers it and I'm sure I could probably take it to a dealer and have it installed. I was just wanting to see if I could fix it with what I already have.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-30-2009, 5:42 PM Reply   
Does your plate have turnbuckles to adjust it? If so try putting it all the way down.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-30-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Not trying to start a wake war or anything but, IMO the VLX wake is better on the regular side. I've never surfed behind a Star. Though I have seen a very nice wake behind what I think was an 1980-something, 19-foot Maristar.

There's a strong reason to associate LH props with surf wakes that are not as well formed as wakes on the regular side. Think about this, how does your boat handle when you back up? A LH propped boat backs up to the starboard, right? The same thing happens going forward except your rudder comes in to play to straighten things out. I maintain that inboards dog track when going forward. The prop rotation determines to which side the boat dog tracks. If you had a poorly made hull that was not balanced then that would make a boat dog track as well. I also maintain that putting weight on one side of the boat also makes a boat dog track.

Weighting and prop rotation and add constructively or destructively subtract. Sometime when there are two effects one is dominate in other cases the other effect is dominate. On both of my inboards prop rotation is dominate. My guess is that on Tige’ and Malibu boats the prop rotation is not as dominate as on some other boats.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2009, 9:38 AM Reply   
My avy has a longer wave on the port side and a taller shorter wave on the starboard. So I totally agree that prop rotation has an impact. I use the wakeplate to lengthen my pocket on the starboard side and to clean up the prop wash.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-31-2009, 2:07 PM Reply   
Hey Duffy, what percentage of wakeplate do you use normally on the Port side vs what you use on the Starboard side.
Thanks
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-31-2009, 2:28 PM Reply   
Packrat for your reference, on my old Lightning we use 100% on starboard and 0% to 25% on regular.
Old     (packrat)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-31-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
Thanks. I was curious if a little bit of wakeplate on the port side might be in order.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       05-31-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
I use around 30-40% for starboard and 0-25% for the port side.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-01-2009, 11:55 AM Reply   
Yo John was that you I saw surfing out there at American last Fri. ? I waved at you. On my Avy we are starting to surf the goofy side. Friday was the first day to do it. We have been surfing port side - goofy. So we decided to go to the dark side since we are goofy foot riders. Here is what I was running weight wise. center 400#, back compartment (starboard)800#, mid-ship starboard 1200#, and 275# in the bow. We also move all people to starboard side. Goofy wake came out pretty clean at 8.5 to 9 mph. I will post some pics tonight. Were going back out today. Flag me down next time if you want to take a set.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-06-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
Yeah Tony that was me (green Calabria). I waved at you. We were trying out the Hyperlite coex that a buddy bought at Joe's for 150 bones. Spun sum 360's with it (with rope in hand) it was cool. We had to take the fin off though. It was loooose! As far as the wake goes I think I just need to rearrange some of the weight. I haven't been running any nose weight but I'll try that to see what happens. I'll flag you down next time and we'll hook up. Maybe trade pulls?
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-06-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
John:

I didn't see any mention of how many people you had in the boat or if you had any weight in the walkthrough/bow area of the boat.

On my buddies 06 Pro-V, we can get a decent wake on the driver side, and a gorgeous wake on the regular side. Fill factory ballasts, put a sac in the bow area, everyone needs to be on the driver side of the boat, or in the center. Go about 10-11 mph, just play with it without the rider until you get a good idea.

It can easilly be done!
Old     (scottymc261)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-07-2009, 12:20 PM Reply   
You definitely need to move weight to the front, that keeps the rooster tail down. I have a Tige with the taps and when people move from bk to frt or frt to bk i can just adjust the taps to keep the wake from messing up. Moving weight up and or back is basicly the same as trimming up and down (on my hull anyway)
Join the darkside!
Old     (surfin247)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-08-2009, 4:54 PM Reply   
I've seen some big improvement on the Darkside by using a 3 blade prop with big blades(suface space almost equal to a 4 blade prop with the proper cup for more hull shot. I think it is what was used for barefooting. Barefooters have some of the same demands wakesurfers have: great holeshot, hard clean wakes and no prop wash/spray.
Old     (surfin247)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-08-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
I got the idea from watching the wake on my Echelon which was propped for barefooting. I was just driving around with a lot of people in the boat on the starboard side and when I went to plane out I noticed the wake. It was overlapping from port to starboard something that i always hated when slalom skiing, but it was knocking down the prop wash/spray and the wake had a very clean face like the port side on most v drives. I swapped out the props with my Vride and the darkside was much better. The only downside is steering to one side is more difficult and it takes just a little longer to get the boat to plane for wakesurfing. Playing around with blade size and cupping might find the perfect setup.
Old     (john30)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-12-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Forgot about this post guys....Thanks for the suggestions I'll be playing a little bit with the weight. I did have it one time but forgot how I was weighted. I know I had a pretty good group out that time but just don't remember how it was setup. I'll keep tryin. Thanks again!