Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2007, 9:16 PM Reply   
I plan to buy a 21' Sanger, MB or Calabria this week.
My family has about a year of experience wakeboarding. We got used to boarding behinf a Malibu VLX and do ok. Beginning wake jumps is all we do.

Any comments about how fast we will outgrow the Sanger wake? Ballast full, it's about like the VLX unloaded.

We are going to demo the MB and Calabria this week.

Any comments on the boats?

Any comments on Sacramento dealers service also helpfull.

Thanks,
Al
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-03-2007, 9:25 PM Reply   
Ballast full, it's about like the VLX unloaded.

why not just buy a vlx and have room to grow. lol. coming from a former sanger owner you what ill say. they are great boats. apples and apples here my friend. they are all great boats. i will end this thread for everyone right now.

DEMO DEMO DEMO DEMO AND THEN DEMO MORE. its up to you and how the boat feels. no one here can make your choice unless you want a sugar coated answer. all the wakes and boats are great just different. if they were not they would not be selling boat. good luck and may wake be with you.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2007, 9:57 PM Reply   
Thanks Bryan, but the Malibu management in Sacramento SUCKS. I will never buy from them again. Most of the employees are great but the GM really rubbs me wrong. He's known for it in the area. All the reps and dealers know about him.

Like I said, I will demo the boats, but it's hard to figure all the good and bad in a hour demo.

Not looking for "the answer" just looking for any comments, good or bad, so I can look out for them when I demo.

Thanks
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2007, 9:03 AM Reply   
If you are torn between the boats, go with the dealer that makes you feel the best. Your service experience will be as important as your boat choice. You might ask for input on the specific dealers you are working with.

If you want to spend a little more than an hour on a Calabria, PM me. Stockton area.

(Message edited by mammoth on August 04, 2007)
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
First of all, everyone of these are great boats.

That said, you will never outgrow the Sanger wake! If you had the chance to go to Wet Wednesday on the Sac River, you could have seen the local pro's throwing down behind a Sanger. Impressive and I had never heard any of them say that the wake behind a Sanger sucked. If you add balast, it will just get bigger. From all of these boats I think that the Sanger is the best built.

I have a Calabria and I think that it is the best boat for the money from the boats that you are looking at. The wake is wider than the other boats and requires a little more weight and adjustment but is very good once you get it tuned in. I think that the surf wake is very good and compares to almost any boat out there.

The MB has a better wake than the Calabria but I did not like the bow rise when driving it and found that it would have been difficult for someone smaller (my wife) to see over the nose.

I have heard good things about the new MB dealership. The former Sanger dealership did not have a good reputation (which was another reason why I chose a Calabria) and I have not heard enough about the new one to comment on it.

Larson-Calabria and Nautique dealership in Sactown, overall, has been great with us and our boat. I would however find out about the windshield issue that some boats (myself included)are having, before you lay down the money for a Calabria. I am happy with my choice in boats but the Sanger was very much in the running. I just didn't warm up to the look of the Sanger as much as the Calabria.

(Message edited by tomcalabria on August 04, 2007)
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-04-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
did you see how much extra weight in boat they had at wet wednesday!! the bow had a huge sack in it and the floor was full with bags as well . with all that in there you couldnt even walk in the boat..
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2007, 10:41 AM Reply   
Have you ever seen how much weight you have to put in an XStar to get a big wake? Same concept IMHO, the point is that a very good to top rider would never "Outgrow" a Sanger wake.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input.

I have heard good about all 3 dealers service dept., but only from one person each.

The MB seems like a great boat for the money. Ill drive it tomorrow or Monday, and I'll be watching the bow rise. It's a big factor for me. The rise on the VLX I had was a pain. I was up and down all day and never seemed to get into a comfortable sitting position for very long. The Sanger has the least of any boat I've tested.
Old     (tomcalabria)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-04-2007, 6:34 PM Reply   
If you thought that the VLX had a high bow rise then the MB will not be what your are looking for, IMHO. I think that the VLX is a great boat and has an awesome wake but I am not to stoked about the dealership in Sac. Look at the Sanger or the Calabria for the best bang for the buck boat.
Old     (eargasm)      Join Date: May 2007       08-04-2007, 6:51 PM Reply   
Hey Al- I think you were at the MB booth today when I was there. You were setting up a demo for 2morrow, at least I think it was you. Anyway I have a 06' Calabria Pro V. It's our first boat and absolutely love it. Now, IMO I think there is no other boat out there that gives you the features, options, power, wake, customer service & price like Calabria does. Though I also feel,IMO, that it's a second level entry boat. IMO if you want the best you go MB. I have been ridin' alot behind the Tomcat & little behind B52.Both are amazing boats. The bow rise was very minimal IMO. I will be advertising my Pro-V
next week to make room for the 08' Tomcat. Good Luck. Hope this helps.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-04-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
That was me! Did I borrow your pen? The MB seems like a lot of boat. I'll see the bow rise in 14 hours. That's what will probably decide it.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-04-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
you need to ride behind a vlx with bow balest it makes all the difference in wake and ride.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-05-2007, 12:19 PM Reply   
I have an MB and keep 300 lbs of pop products in the front. Keeps the bow rise lower and makes the wake better too.
I can't really speak to the other two boats, but have had a great experience with my boat and with Mikker Sports in Rancho.
Old     (al_d)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-05-2007, 2:57 PM Reply   
"You need to ride behind a vlx with bow balest it makes all the difference in wake and ride."

If I could just get Copes to Fire the GM at the Malibu dealership, I would try it.
Old     (mred)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-05-2007, 6:26 PM Reply   
i would for sure go with the best dealership in the area i think all are good boats if bow rise is a big issue think about the team edition in mbsport line i didnt so i have put 500lbs of weight in the bow to keep the bow down also mellowed out the wake a bit witch i liked. im only5'6" and bow rise hasnt been an issue with that setup once on plan dont even need the buster seat up.