Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-18-2012, 8:01 AM Reply   
Has anyone installed the aftermarket kit from boatmate? Its $135 and comes with an automatic switch that turns on when the trailer enters the water. Or have you installed a system of your own? I am considering doing this for a project, but wanted to get some feedback from people who have completed this. How difficult it is to fish the wires through the trailer rails? Was also told the lights legally are not able to be turned on while towing if they are white, but c an be used if they are red?

Any pics or feedback appreciated. Thanks...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       01-18-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
pretty sure they'd have to be amber, not red, if you wanted them to be on all the time.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-18-2012, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
pretty sure they'd have to be amber, not red, if you wanted them to be on all the time.
If they only turn on in the water I think red would be fine.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-18-2012, 8:20 AM Reply   
Do a search on w/w for sequencing trailer lights
Here is a video of my lights in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cARz...e_gdata_player
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-18-2012, 8:44 AM Reply   
Someone just did this on the bu crew forum

Came out pretty nice. They even discussed the ones where they turn on in the water, but went a different route

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...76#entry505776
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-18-2012, 8:46 AM Reply   
Grant,

Nice job. How bright/effective are they for loading at night?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-18-2012, 9:49 AM Reply   
Travis, I just looked at the Boatmate kit as well. The problem I see is that there are only 6 lights per side provided. It looks like Grant is running 16-18 lights per side. I'm not sure if you can achieve the "Runway " look your searching for with the kit. Check out Grants thread, and price it out sourcing the lights and switch seperatley.
Old     (Txjole)      Join Date: Dec 2011       01-18-2012, 10:08 AM Reply   
The float switch is the short fall, they won't last long. Major trailer maker here did away with the option becuse of the switch alone.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       01-18-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
You sweetwater guys have all the fun. That system wouldn't last a single day at the ramp here. I have to budget time for trailer lights every time I hook the blasted thing up.
Pretty cool stuff though.
Jealous.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-18-2012, 11:22 AM Reply   
I just looked at Grants setup, that is very nice. Although I am looking for the lights to be positioned more towards the center of the trailer aligned with the bunks for driving the boat on the trailer. I think 6 on each side would be plenty for my application.

Grant, how bright are those red LEDs under water for loading the boat compared to white lights? If I install white runway lights and dont use an automatic switch, they are either going to have to be on all the time with the trailer lights or install a seperate toggle switch which might be a little bit of a hassle.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-18-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
Im going on 2+ years with the Axis and factory trailer runway lights without issues or burning out or the float switch having issues? Im not sure what issue you are addressing txjole? Mine was factory so I dont have input or how hard it is to do, but I do know it has had zero issues.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-18-2012, 12:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by baitkiller View Post
You sweetwater guys have all the fun. That system wouldn't last a single day at the ramp here. I have to budget time for trailer lights every time I hook the blasted thing up.
Pretty cool stuff though.
Jealous.
I hear ya. Keeping my ground in tact is enough work. Maybe nice for night-time fresh water loads but they will not add much flair to my galvanized trailer. Here's my tip, I always have a couple cans of zinc spray paint available to things looking good.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-18-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
This is the look I am shooting for, I believe this is the 12 light kit from boatmate. It looks like they are running the lights on the outer rail, which would be easier to install than on the inner rails of the bunks.
Attached Images