Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-24-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Finally got my new McClain trailer to take care of the rust belt weather. I have been rolling a tube since I made the purchase and everywhere a hole was drilled had cancer on it. It would have been fine for local pulls and storage, but long trips with alot of towing I always wanted to have a bulletproof option. I was a little hesitant to buy one at first, wondering how it would look; but I think it came out nice. More photos on the link. This is a good option for anyone needing a long term solution in rust prone areas. There was some discussion about these fitting in the past, and they fit just fine.
http://www.wakeboatworld.com/newTrailer/
Upload

The old one that would make a great storage trailer, or a local lake tower is for sale. I am asking $999. It is located in South Louisiana. Second link it to classifieds.
http://www.wakeboatworld.com/trailer/
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/498371.html?1190570735
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-24-2007, 8:41 AM Reply   
The cancer beater. I think its beautiful. It seems at some point all metal trails begin to look ragged and who wants to mess with painting a trailer.

Aluminum is great except you still have non-alum axle, springs, brakes. These are the failure points.

One big plus, it will always look clean.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
Tim, the axle is galvanized as are the brakes salt water specific. The only part that stands a chance to rust will be the springs, and that is very unlikely due to the thickness of them.

The old trailer is now on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160161981043&ssPa geName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=006
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-26-2007, 8:35 AM Reply   
Steve, I see you are in Louisiana. I am from Slidell. We bought a galvanized trailer for our malibu.

Just curious. How much was the new aluminum one, where did you get it, and is it inboard specific?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
It is a universal (I couldn't find an aluminum inboard specific) that had a cutout and centering roller added to make it inboard specific. It was built by McClain out of Texas and Baton Rouge and I bought it from a local dealer in Lafayette (Redmond's Marine). They took care of fitting it. I haven't had a chance to offload it yet, so I am a little curious to see how well that is going to go. The only centering I have is the low roller and the guides. This is a 22' model trailer so there is no overhang on the bunks, and I gave $3.2k. A comparable channel was $4800 and tube was over $5500 for the same specs. I was also a little hesitant about the two bunks with no centering under the middle for support while towing, but I think it will be fine being as the bunks are directly under the outer runners. How many bunks do you have and what is your boat's weight?

(Message edited by olskooltige on September 26, 2007)
Old    dabigkahuna            09-26-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
Steve,

From someone who runs in salt water 100% of the time, take it from me, rinse your trailer with freshwater every time it gets dipped in the salt. You WILL get rust on the springs, shackles, brakes, and even the axles, but you can minimize it if you freshwater flush them every time.

Nice Trailer by the way.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
I don't do salt, but thanks for the tip.
Old    dabigkahuna            09-26-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
Oh, my bad, I assumed you had the rust problem on your previous trailer from salt. You shouldn't ever have to replace the new trailer if you run in freshwater, I'm Jealous!
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-27-2007, 2:08 PM Reply   
Let's hope so......one big reason I went aluminum.

(Message edited by olskooltige on September 27, 2007)
Old     (driver_dad)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-28-2007, 9:25 AM Reply   
Steve, I don't want to hijack your thread but what kind of speaker socks are you using?
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-28-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
That is a screamin' sac. Nice order all the way around. I tow with it on most of the time and haven't had any issues yet.