Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-08-2011, 8:28 AM Reply   
Out of the X25, X35 or X45, which throws the best surf wake, with proper ballast weight? I know many of you will say the Centurion Enzo is best, or something else, but I am strictly interested in hearing opinions on these 3 boats, particularly those that have first-hand experience with these boats. Thanks.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
I know shred stixx just got a X35. Here is a link to the video.

http://slayshtank.com/2011/03/slaysh...t-chase-hazen/
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-08-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
There are lots of boats that throw great waves. The overall idea is a boat with a nice deep v and enough locker space to hide large ballast sacs. I would contact shred stixx and ask how they like the x35. Those boats are all pretty sick looking!
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-08-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
Duffy, yeah, I noticed that they have recently been using an X35. I sent them an email to get some more info. Based on their pics and videos, looks like the 35 throws a nice wake. Thanks
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-08-2011, 12:45 PM Reply   
I am actually surprised they went with the X35. I would have bet a lot of money the X25 has the best surf wake. But it should be very easy to figure it out. Take all 3 out and tell the dealer to set them up to surf.

Every MC person I have ever talked to says the X25 is hands down the best and that the other MC boats are not that great to surf (compared to the other top surf brands). I spoke to one guy last year that wished he could get rid of his X45 because he could not get a great surf wake out of it. Also, be prepared to put a ton of weight in the X35/X45.
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-08-2011, 12:59 PM Reply   
jkw, it's funny you should say that, because I hear that a lot from people (that the X25 is the best surf boat in the MC lineup). I see a lot of people picking up the 25's. There is even talk that the 25 hull will become the next X-Star to replace the current X-Star. If all things are really close between the 3 boats in terms of wake quality, the 25 might make sense, given that it is likely the least expensive (and also has some pretty cool features, like those transom seats).

As for your suggestion about doing a dealer demo, that makes complete sense. The only problem is that it can sometimes take hours of experimentation to get the right ballast set-up for a particular hull. I test drove the 25, 35 and 45 on the same afternoon last year. With the stock ballast, frankly they all sucked. The 25 had the best wake with stock ballast (which makes sense, given same stock ballast weight, but smaller hull). I didn't have time to properly outfit the boats with additional ballast. So, my demo that day really didn't answer any questions for me.
Old     (ktrent)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-08-2011, 6:29 PM Reply   
Can't say for 25 or 35 other than dealer says 25 but the 45 sucks. My buddy had a 45 and we worked with it for 2 seasons and never got the wave close to my VLX. Plus the wakeboad wake sucks too. Now if you just want to pomp around and look cool go for the 45. My guess is the 35 would be close to 25 with proper weighting. And also a birdy told me the new star would not be the 25 its going to be longer. I hear around 24 feet.

sent with Droid using tapatalk
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-08-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrent View Post
Can't say for 25 or 35 other than dealer says 25 but the 45 sucks. My buddy had a 45 and we worked with it for 2 seasons and never got the wave close to my VLX. Plus the wakeboad wake sucks too. Now if you just want to pomp around and look cool go for the 45. My guess is the 35 would be close to 25 with proper weighting. And also a birdy told me the new star would not be the 25 its going to be longer. I hear around 24 feet.

sent with Droid using tapatalk
Wow, I am surprised. I haven't heard anyone say the 45 was not good. I am assuming over that period of 2 seasons you guys used different ballast variations, sacs, etc. I really want the best wake for surfing, that is my main goal.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-08-2011, 7:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuskokaJ View Post
I really want the best wake for surfing, that is my main goal.
Then you should not be looking a MC, IMO. If I was going to spend $85K and wanted to surf. I would be buying a bu 247/Enzo 240/Tige RZ4
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-09-2011, 1:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakesurfer View Post
Then you should not be looking a MC, IMO. If I was going to spend $85K and wanted to surf. I would be buying a bu 247/Enzo 240/Tige RZ4
I know, but I'm just not a fan of Centurion or Tige boats. I really like the fit and finish of Mastercraft boats. And given that the boat will also be used for just general recreation with family and friends, we will be spending a lot of time in it. I looked closely at the Centurion and Tige boats and just couldn't get into them.
Old     (Woody)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-09-2011, 2:56 AM Reply   
Dont forget about the Supreme V226.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...eries-98427921
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-09-2011, 5:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
I know, but I'm just not a fan of Centurion or Tige boats. I really like the fit and finish of Mastercraft boats. And given that the boat will also be used for just general recreation with family and friends, we will be spending a lot of time in it. I looked closely at the Centurion and Tige boats and just couldn't get into them.
I have a Centurion Avy now. But if I was going to spend $85K it would be on a SAN 230/Bu 247/X25. All can produce great surf wakes when set up correctly. I really like the X25 (the hull reminds me of an Avy/Enzo). My biggest problem with MC is the dash (cant stand all of the metal) and the MC price. Even in today's world of absurd boat prices, MC takes the cake. Seriously, $85K for a 22ft boat.
Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-09-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
I have a Centurion Avy now. But if I was going to spend $85K it would be on a SAN 230/Bu 247/X25. All can produce great surf wakes when set up correctly. I really like the X25 (the hull reminds me of an Avy/Enzo). My biggest problem with MC is the dash (cant stand all of the metal) and the MC price. Even in today's world of absurd boat prices, MC takes the cake. Seriously, $85K for a 22ft boat.
That's true, the prices really are a little ridiculous. As for the metal on the dash of the X-series boats, I agree, which is why I currently own the 200v, which is essentially the X-2 without all the "hoopla". Instead of metal there is really nice woodgrain finishes. The overall look is more "grown up". If I were to order the X25, it would be in the 225v form, without all the metal, decals, etc.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       04-09-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
If I were to order the X25, it would be in the 225v form, without all the metal, decals, etc.
Now that would be a slick boat. The X25 is probably my favorite boat (ignoring price). My 1st boat was a MC Prostar 205 and it was rock solid. My only other concern is that MC is going to its own engine. Who is going to service it if your dealer is not around.

here is a pic of the one I would buy if $ was not a consideration.
Attached Images

Old     (MuskokaJ)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-09-2011, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Now that would be a slick boat. The X25 is probably my favorite boat (ignoring price). My 1st boat was a MC Prostar 205 and it was rock solid. My only other concern is that MC is going to its own engine. Who is going to service it if your dealer is not around.

here is a pic of the one I would buy if $ was not a consideration.
Nice boat! I'm not too concerned about the engine issue, Ilmor builds a great product. I have the Ilmor 5.7 in my 200v, and it is a nice package.