Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-17-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
In all the excitement, I forgot my data from testing my previous prop at home so I will have to do a full comparison on another day. However, I did notice a few things. First I guess I should say this is installed on a ’99 MariStar 210 with the 330 HP LTR and I was coming from a 14.25x14.5 OJ prop.

At WOT with no ballast I gained ~300 RPM and 1.5 MPH. This puts me at 5200 and 42, two things I don’t really care about, but thought it was worth noting.

I run about 2200lbs of ballast, time to plane feels to be very similar to the previous prop, but seems to start pulling sooner. It seemed like there was a slight delay between hitting the throttle and the boat starting to move with all of the props I have had on my boat so far, this was not the case with the 5 blade. The boat started moving as soon as my hand moved the lever forward. RPM was around 3200 at 23 MPH, but I need to double check this with my digital tach.

The prop sounds different. I can’t put my finger on it. I thought the boat was quieter; my passenger thought it was louder. Maybe it is just at a different pitch, maybe it is all in my head.

I want to think the boat handles better with the 5 blade prop. Seems like the steering is both smoother and lighter, it also holds speed better in turns.

I have not yet tried the prop at surf speeds and I have only been on the water a couple hours with it, but I like what I see so far. This weekend I will have the boat loaded down with people and gear plus be on the water all day. I will update my thoughts then. Based on what I have seen, if you need a new prop I would defiantly check out the TZ-X5.
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-17-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
I forgot to mention (at least for the Axis side) that the boat does seem quite a bit quieter than it was previously and talking in the cab is easier. It just seems to be less engine prop whine and smooth quietness. I totally forgot about the sound difference. :P That of course will vary brand to brand but I noticed the Axis is alot quieter.
Good write up John, glad to see your results reflect mine pretty much.
Old     (CobraRob)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-18-2011, 1:50 PM Reply   
Only got a small test on it but WOW!.. I am not sure how it compares to what would have been the correct 4 blade prop.. but I was running a 13.75 x 17 and when loaded down with sacs it was almost hard to get up since it took so long for the boat to get going. Now it shoots out and we have to ease on the throttle more now.

At 12MPH surf speed we also dropped from ~3600 RPM to ~2900RPM so should save us some gas.. Didn't wakeboard so will check that this weekend.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-18-2011, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRob View Post
Only got a small test on it but WOW!.. I am not sure how it compares to what would have been the correct 4 blade prop.. but I was running a 13.75 x 17 and when loaded down with sacs it was almost hard to get up since it took so long for the boat to get going. Now it shoots out and we have to ease on the throttle more now.

At 12MPH surf speed we also dropped from ~3600 RPM to ~2900RPM so should save us some gas.. Didn't wakeboard so will check that this weekend.

With that kind of performance upgrade I have to say that now I must try one as my curiosity is peaked!
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-21-2011, 5:45 PM Reply   
Spent a few more hours with the prop this weekend, although not as many as I would like.

I had some friends from out of town in to visit that were not familiar with the lake we were on. Long story short, a wrong turn was made and my nice new prop is out of balance. I guess I did learn that at idle my boat runs around 3.4 mph with this prop, I got to do that for almost 3 hours to get back to the ramp. I hope the repair is not too bad on my wallet.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       08-22-2011, 6:49 AM Reply   
Made it out to Trinity today. I took a couple of quick vids of hole shot and top speed. The top speed was no ballast/wedge. I tested my speed against a garmin 305 edge. Speedo was .4mph higher than gps.
On the hole shot video, I had the wedge down, 2x750's in rear, 2x400's (3/4 full) in bow, 900lbs stock hard tanks full, and crew of 2 friends. Each of us is about 185-210lbs.
Not the best vids, so if anyone wants anything else, just give me a shout. Just trying to help those out looking for an upgrade prop.

Top Speed
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...peed_final.mp4

Hole shot
http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...shot_final.mp4
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       08-22-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Let's get a group buy on this prop
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-22-2011, 7:53 PM Reply   
Mat, those numbers look about like ours too. Top speed is around 40ish and hole shot looks similar. It likes front weight more than rear weight for sure. I'm going to put a 700lb up front next time
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-23-2011, 7:47 AM Reply   
Jon, that sucks man!! By the way, one of my buddies has the same boat as you. I absolutely love the wake behind that thing. It needs a lot of weight, but man is it awesome. Good luck with the repair.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-23-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillywakeboarder View Post
Jon, that sucks man!! By the way, one of my buddies has the same boat as you. I absolutely love the wake behind that thing. It needs a lot of weight, but man is it awesome. Good luck with the repair.
I talked to Eric yesterday, everything should be fine.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-12-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
First off, I must say I was skeptical about the 5 blade prop. Looked like just a gimmick to me, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding!

I had the pleasure of driving and riding behind Jon's boat this weekend and I am very impressed with the 5 blade prop! We were running about 1800lbs of ballast at 22.5 mph and only running 3000 RPMs. The boat pulled out of the hole with only 1/3 trottle vs. 3/4 trottle with the old 4 blade 14.25x14.5 OJ. To me it felt like the motor had at least an extra 50hp! The handling was much improved as well and I put the hammer down and topped out around 44 mph.

Nice work Tavis, Zane and the OJ Team. My next boat will have the TZ-X5!
Old     (silvermustang35)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-13-2011, 5:12 AM Reply   
Still happy with the TZ-X5, just wanted to post a pic of speed v rpm this was 4 people in the boat, rider at 75ft, full plug n play and wedge down.
Attached Images

Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-20-2011, 7:22 AM Reply   
Finally was able to try out the OJ 5-blade on the X25. Results were pretty consistent with what everyone else is saying about the prop:

- Good low-end pull
- no noticeable change in top end (+.5 mph)
- 200-300 less RPM at speed than stock propeller (in our case an OJ 14.25x14)
- boat is faster at idle (+1 mph)
- improved low-speed maneuverability -- this was huge because our X25 is a bit of challenge in this respect
- "different" sound -- not sure if it's louder or quieter, it's just different

In addition, we tried an ACME 1285 which was an absolute beast of a prop. Got the boat on plane a full second faster and handled all the weight we could throw at it. If you are running a lot of weight and your boat has trouble getting on plane, try the ACME first. If you are running stock or slightly more like we do (~1800 pounds) then the 5 blade is a good choice and will save you a little gas money.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       09-21-2011, 7:54 AM Reply   
I did not see the 1285 on the Acme list. What is it?
Old     (ShawnB)      Join Date: Oct 2010       09-21-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
It's 14.5 x 14.25 .105 cup

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2154
Old     (desotodave)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-22-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
I have a 23 foot centurion Enzo with the 340 hp motor. Anyone tried this prop on one of these yet?
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-13-2012, 2:37 PM Reply   
Any more input on this prop? We bent the prop on our RZR yesterday and I need to order a replacement. It has the PCM 343 motor and ACME 537 prop currently. I need something with a little better hole shot when loaded down and was considering the ACME 1235 until I saw this one. The other issue I have with the stock prop is the prop wash is kinda bad when wakeboarding. It's really messy in the middle. Will this help that at all?
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-13-2012, 6:34 PM Reply   
Hey TJ I'm interested in the 5 blade for my MCx15. I have half a season on a Acme 1285 if your interested.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       05-13-2012, 7:43 PM Reply   
I just got the acme 2271 4 blade prop...after a long talk with OJ and Acme i think i made the right choice

Review soon..i just installed in and haven't logged any time yet.

Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-14-2012, 11:54 AM Reply   
I had the Acme 1235 on my Axis A22 and now use the 5 blade. Rpms dropped 300-400 at riding speed, interior is much more quiet, less rooster tail, and cleaner table/wash between the wake
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       05-14-2012, 12:55 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by you_da_man View Post
I had the Acme 1235 on my Axis A22 and now use the 5 blade. Rpms dropped 300-400 at riding speed, interior is much more quiet, less rooster tail, and cleaner table/wash between the wake
Are you running a 5 blade ACME or an OJ? I had a long conversation with Jim at Acme and I think we are going to try out the new 2131 5 blade and also a 1235. The rooster tail and prop wash of the 537 really bothers me for some reason. I'm hoping the new prop will help this.

I'll start a new thread and report back once I receive them later this week.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       05-14-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
Are you running a 5 blade ACME or an OJ? I had a long conversation with Jim at Acme and I think we are going to try out the new 2131 5 blade and also a 1235. The rooster tail and prop wash of the 537 really bothers me for some reason. I'm hoping the new prop will help this.

I'll start a new thread and report back once I receive them later this week.
5 blade OJ, the Acme 5 blade was not out yet.
Old     (dreamer)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-14-2012, 4:49 PM Reply   
I've got the OJ 5 blade on my enzo now and it is a great wakesurfing prop. It was a little too close to my hull so OJ cut it down a little and it worked out great. Wakesurfing at 11.5 mph with 2200#'s of ballast plus a couple passengers my rpms went from 3400 with an Acme 1579 to 3100 with the 5 blade.

The 5 blade is much more responsive and better holeshot that the 1579.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-15-2012, 12:19 AM Reply   
went from OJ's Core 4 blade prop (forget the number) and jumped on the OJ Cinco bandwagon. OJ Core is almost on point with the Acme 1615 with the aggressive cup. top speed went from 35 up to 41, hole shot suffered a tad (2 seconds longer to get to riding speed), and RPM's dropped by 250 at riding speed.

Like AJ, the prop wash shrunk, the wake faces cleaned up, the cabin noise at riding speed drop noticeably, holds speed in tight and slight turns better.... lovin it.
Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       05-15-2012, 9:44 AM Reply   
Anyone try the 5 blade OJ on a SAN 210? I currently have the 1579 on there the TEAM prop.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-25-2012, 10:53 PM Reply   
I may be a oj 5 blade believer! Tried it out today on my Bu and was impressed.. But I will give my full report after Sunday. When i throw 1500# on top of the factory ballast
Old     (SacSurfer)      Join Date: May 2012       07-26-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
Please report back, looking at 3 different props, the Acme/ OJ 5 blade, the ACME 1235 and the 1433 for my 2010 210.

Mainly used for wakesurfing.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-26-2012, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SacSurfer View Post
Please report back, looking at 3 different props, the Acme/ OJ 5 blade, the ACME 1235 and the 1433 for my 2010 210.

Mainly used for wakesurfing.
I probably won't have a wake surf report with this prop until maybe 2 weeks down the road. I have different crews. One of them are surfers.
Ok! I'll give a couple reports on the prop with the conditions lbs sets etc.
I have a 04 Malibu VLX with a 340 HP monsoon engine. The factory ballast holds 1250#, we always run with 700# of lead on top of that. Plus gear let's say 2000#.

The previous prop i was running acme

The space i had from the blade to the hull
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-26-2012, 3:02 PM Reply   
I am running an acme 5 blade and I have never been this happy with a prop. Best upgrade for surfing I have ever done. I have a 2005 Tige 24v and I run about 3k in ballast while surfing. I could surf at 20mph if I wanted to. With the old extreme 4 blade 12.5 was tough.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-26-2012, 3:04 PM Reply   
Ok the new prop was part # 1936-1 ( on the prop itself it says TXZ 5)

Space from the blade to the hull

Only a few millimeters difference between the two props in diameter.

so yesterday we ran full ballast + lead = 2000# (no wedge)
weather conditions weren't great yesterday but the first thing i noticed was BETTER CONTROL IN REVERSE. The boat didn't pull as hard to the right in reverse as usual and i could actually make it go slightly left. Second thing i noticed was hole shot. ONE -TWO SECONDS OF HOLE SHOT LAG compared to what I'm used to. But after those few seconds it gets up and goes! Third i noticed was DIFFERENT ENGINE NOISE on the hole shot and driving. Don't know how to put it but it doesn't sound bad. Fourth i noticed was TWO HUNDRED TO THREE HUNDRED RPM REDUCTION @ 24 MPH while wakeboarding. We usually are doing close to 3450 rpms. Yesterday it was around 3100 rpms. Fifth thing i noticed was BOAT SLOWED DOWN QUICKER WHEN STOPPING. honestly it felt like i was running the wedge and a dragster parachute everytime we stopped. I guess its that extra surface area in the water suddenly not moving really making a difference. And the biggest thing i noticed so far in one day was I SAVED TEN TO FIFTEEN DOLLARS IN FUEL compared to any other day with exact same amount of riding time. Even my friends noticed that at the pump!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-29-2012, 3:12 PM Reply   
Okay it's official I'm a believer!
Today we ran my Malibu with full ballast +
700# in lead + 800# in fat sacs + 3 people = about 3100 lbs

After this pic i recalibrated perfect pass and we were actually doing about 24.3 @ 75 ft

As you can see we were running 3400 RPMS. that's the exact same rpms we were doing when we had the old prop MINUS 800#. Gas was $15 cheaper than what the old prop would have done.

hole shot still has that 2 second lag at the beginning but definitely got on plane quicker than the old prop with that weight!
If you're still unsure about this prop (or even the acme 5 blade) slap yourself silly and order one!