Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 21, 2006

Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-04-2006, 5:51 PM Reply   
My boat has always been stored inside, however for the time being, I'm keeping it outside for conveniance reasons.
I just ordered a full cover for it, but I'm worried about the lower half, not necisarily the white, but the bright blue/yellow flame colors that will be exposed even with the cover on.
What do you do to protect the colors from fading? Is there a certain wax that I should look for???
Boat pic is in profile, if that helps!!!
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-04-2006, 5:56 PM Reply   
The lower half will not be exposed to too much uv rays even though its outside. The best wax I have found in the Mcguires #6 cleaner wax, then go over it again with the sealant, I think its #29 but its also by Mcguires and its says sealant on the bottel. The best place to get Mcguires products is at a paint supply shop.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-04-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
you could have custom skirts added for aroudn $150 that would cover your entire boat. I added them b /c my boat is kept on a lift year round.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-04-2006, 8:51 PM Reply   
Zaino.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-05-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
Guys, I have been using 3M marine products for years and swear by them as being some of the best in the industry, particularly if you need to do any heavy conditioning or restoration. I couldn't believe the depth that their compounds add to the gelcoat finish. They work best w/ a buffer which adds a little work but gets you better results faster! I may have to try to McGuires, though. Always looking for good products!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-05-2006, 4:56 PM Reply   
In my experience, 3M works great, however McGwieres is much much easier to remove and works just as well, if not better.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-05-2006, 6:31 PM Reply   
if its still in good condition... wash the entire boat and use BOAT POLISH then wax it with the same brand.. it puts back oils into the gelcoat...

and yes polishing and waxing are two different things
Old     (jayc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-06-2006, 4:42 AM Reply   
303 will stop fading. Apply every 3 weeks and your done.
Old     (dmkhnr)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-06-2006, 6:05 AM Reply   
I thought that I better check the CC&R's for my neighborhood, and found out that I cannot park the boat here at my house for more than 24 hrs. I took it back over to the in-door storage yesterday evening.
I've always had a coat of wax on it, and wiped it down after every use, plus store it inside. Your all suggesting good wax products, in fact I think it's just a matter of picking one. The boat is 2 season old, and in like new condition, and I'd hate to have the bright colors fade out on me by the time it's time to sell it.
thanks,
DK
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       07-06-2006, 6:16 AM Reply   
IMO, 303 sucks on the gelcoat, it leaves a film that attracts dust, and will wash off as soon as it hits the water....your just wasting it by putting it on the gelcoat.
Old     (rourker)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-06-2006, 8:24 AM Reply   
Looks like I may have to try McGuires. Does anyone know if there is a marine grade or does the automotive work just as well?
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-06-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
or you could use Zaino...

Upload
Upload
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-06-2006, 10:29 PM Reply   
David,

I looked at Zaino's website and didn't see anything for boats. What products did you use?

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Zaino
Old     (skibum69)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-07-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
If it is a litte faded, it is probably oxidized. Use oxidation remover then polish it
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-07-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
Holy crap, i thought that top picture was the actual ground and just your board rack or something in the corner....criminy.