Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2006

Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
Please read, need advice on new boat x1 or ProV2

I was quoted a price on 46K out the door for on 06 MC X1 which included a tandem axel trailer, bimni, board racks, stereo, MC cruise (included with RPT1 for 06) KGB Good Price? …But then… I stopped by Larson Marine and saw the new 06 Calabria ProV2 and was very impressed!

For 45K out the door I get everything with the ProV2 including:
Perfect Pass
Standard pure vert ballast
Black scorpion
Heater
Shower
Bimni
Dual axel trailer
Table
Stereo with 4X9 speakers
Board racks
Single piece windshield
65-gallon gas tank I can fill from either side
Stainless everything!!! Rub rail, tower, and dash
And a huge swim step… etc.
The boat I looked at had a gorgeous interior not like the hideous carbon fiber prov that was on Wakeworld a few months ago.

Are these boats in the same league, should I even consider the Calabria?

A little about me: I am probably 10 pounds overweight and can’t do any fancy tricks on a board although I plan on improving… I would like to learn to surf, I ride rough water (Folsom) I take my parents and family member that don’t ride with me on the lake from time to time…

The Vride is still in the running but at this point is in third place.
I also looked at the Sangers and although I am sure they are great boats they did non impress me aesthetically.

I plan on test-driving all three
Old    00smizz            02-21-2006, 7:53 PM Reply   
Go with the v ride. mastercraft is pulling out of the market and is building fishing boats now because they have lost too much market share to malibu. Maybe they should start pricing there boats reasonable. The V ride has a good wake and I have also heard good things about the pure vert system. Dont think I am a mastercraft hater, I own one, but my friends and I have all had bad luck with motors blowing up transmissions going out fuel pumps siezing and alternators falling off to name a few. 45k sounds like a lot of money for a headache.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-21-2006, 8:03 PM Reply   
"Smart" yeah whatever.
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-21-2006, 8:12 PM Reply   
Your problems have nothing to do with mastercraft. They are dealing with the engine manufacturs. I am hoping the fishing boat comment was sarcasm.
Old    00smizz            02-21-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
check it out they are building fishing boats
Old    00smizz            02-21-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
check out the scoop post there are pics of the boat if you scroll down far enough.
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-21-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Attila, please discard that first reply. You really cannot go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned although some biased people will tell you different. As far as sale wise the MC and Calabria arn't in the same league, but that is about the only difference. Even the Sangers that you mentioned are a great boat. The best thing for you to do is spend sometime with the boats. Get a test drive set up, take them out, talk sweet to them and rub their racks, and see which talks nicest back to you.
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-21-2006, 8:29 PM Reply   
Attila~ yeah me again.

I would say the MC over the calabria. Better resale, better name recognition. Larson marine is a reputable dealeship though, and has a very good service dept.

Hey what about Tige!!!!
Old     (3205lpv)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-21-2006, 8:31 PM Reply   
I no they are building one crossover boat, but that doesn't mean the are pulling out of the tow boat market.
Old    00smizz            02-21-2006, 9:03 PM Reply   
the pulling out was sarcasm, however i feel that mastercraft has become a little rediculous on their pricing, An every day guy like myself cannot afford their new boats with the options a rider wants. That my opinion so in that matter they have priced theirselves out of the market. I have an older mc and love when I get the opportunity to ride the new X star but at 85k+ who can afford it and you cant tell me that that wake is any better than a vlx.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-21-2006, 9:16 PM Reply   
For strictly wake the X-1 will take the cake any day of the week. The Calabria has a great wake too but it really excels in interior space. The MC will get a little cramped and to throw a beefy wake you will be stashing lead or sacs everywhere. Space is at a premium in the MC. It does have on of the nicest wakes in the world though. It's all about where you put your priorities. Sounds like they have pretty similar features, take each out for a ride and see what one fits you the best.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
Joe thanks for the advice...
I would take you up on your offer but I really feel like I would be wasting your time. I think after seing the Sanger in person this afternoon I have it narrowed down to the final 3 in this order X1, ProV2, and Vride. I hope to get some demos in this weekend.
Old     (joe1975)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-21-2006, 10:12 PM Reply   
No Problem Attila-
hey is that an attila the hun reference? Are you hungarian by chance? (my mom was born there)

let us know what you decided, what the wake characteristics were like in your opinion, maybe post some pictures.

Thanks,
j
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-21-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
Sure, I will take my camera this weekend if I do any demos...

Yup born full blooded but naturalized here... I like the women and the boats much better :-)
Old     (hemihauler)      Join Date: Jan 2006       02-22-2006, 9:38 AM Reply   
Attila,
I just bought a 2004 Pro V this weekend. I know the ProV 2 is a little smaller, But the interiors are huge, lots of seating and storage. I know it doesnt have the big name of the others, but it is still a very quality boat. Plus the Pure Vert fills in 45sec and empties in 15 with no pumps. All of the boats are very nice, hopefully you can demo all and pick a winner.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-22-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
we put 4k lbs in a Pro V. It took about 5 minutes to get on plane and people had to walk to the back to keep from sinking when it came off plane, but the wake was so obscenely sick. It was like waist high with a 5' transition. Basically the same as a new X-Star with similar weight.

Ok, while that's a true story, an X1 is a super practical boat that needs less than half that weight to make a monster wake.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2006, 1:38 PM Reply   
Atilla,
All three boats you mentioned are good boats that will get the job done. The difference to pay attention to is the level of customer service you get from the dealers. Demo the boats and let us know what you decide. I have a MC 05' X-2, which is the same hull as the 06 X-1 and I love it.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-22-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
Byrd, how is the rough water ride on that hull?
Old    jlm            02-22-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
demo, demo, demo...
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-22-2006, 6:25 PM Reply   
Atilla,
It is not that bad, but where I live, Central Florida, it never gets that bad. On real windy days in the middle of a big lake, it might get a 2' chop. But the boat handles well, a lot better than my Prostar 190 I use to have. I would demo a few boats in rough water if that is your concern and see which fits your situation better.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2006, 9:55 PM Reply   
I drove the VRIDE and PROV2 over the weekend... I though the fit and finish was nice on both, the PROV2 in my opinion is the best looking 20 footer on the water, it has made a huge improvement over last year (PROV) with the interior as well as the new swoosh paint scheme. Wayland, the rep from Larson Marine was very nice as well however the performance was very noticeable between the VRIDE and the PROV2. The VRIDE turned harder, accelerated faster, was quieter, and felt more sturdy during double ups. Ryan from ultimate watersports showed me the ropes on the VRIDE, he was super nice and spent a couple of hours with me. During the two hours I must have bumped my head 5 times on the damn illusion tower, the placement of the tower over the middle of the cabin is just horrible! I also didn’t care for the look and feel of the interior on the VRIDE, looks a bid dated to me… As of now the VRIDE is the front-runner, I am going to try to get on the X1 later this week.
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-26-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
Keep us posted Attila
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-26-2006, 10:06 PM Reply   
I was at FMC Water Sports in Portland and sat in their new Pro V2 I was very impressed with the improvements they made from in fit and finish. The boat is only a 20 footer but Calabria makes the most with the room and it does not feel small. I did not Demo the boat but as far as the look with the new tower and the bling on the dash and interior I loved it. That said, Saturday I dropped my boat off in Redding and sold it to E dub on this site. On the way home I stopped at the Mastercraft dealer to check out the X-1 X-2...I really didnt like them, not bashing at all just saying I did not like the looks of them. I loved them in pictures I have seen but close up I thought they were not a good looking bat. Atleast I would not buy one just becasue I did not like how they looked. That said, I know Mastercraft builds a great boat and I am sure the wake is great. If I were to go strictly off looks inside and out I personaly would go with the Calabria. Now..I made the mistake of popping into the Malibu Dealership. Looked at some Bu's VLX and LSV. Holy crap now those are some impressive boats. If I were to buy again and had the money, Malibu is what I would purchase.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2006, 10:10 PM Reply   
I will, If the MC dealer wasn't such a hassle to deal with (refundable deposit before demo, boat has to be shipped in from another dealer, they only demo the boat you are looking at buying etc, sales associates are confused on pricing...) I would have already purchased the MC but I am a bit nerveous about having to deal with them for the next 6-7 years. We will see how the demo goes, I might end up with the BU... and a whole bunch of bumps on my head!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-26-2006, 10:18 PM Reply   
"mastercraft is pulling out of the market and is building fishing boats now because they have lost too much market share "

HAHAhahahaah
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-26-2006, 10:21 PM Reply   
J-Rod do you have the MCX in your boat? What are your thoughts on upgrading for $2300 big ones? Does the RTP and MCX require the same octane fuel?
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-27-2006, 7:31 AM Reply   
Attila, owners manual says use grades 89-93 Octane on all engines. I have the MCX and it screams, probably not worth it unless you running full ballast and 9 people in the boat a lot.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-27-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
Attila:

I have the MCX.

It depends on the kind of riding you're doing. The standard motor is sufficient for that boat. If you're consistently running a LOT of weight (maybe 2500+) the MCX would come in handy, but again it's not necessary. Or, if you ride in a small private lake where you need to reach riding speed quickly. See if the dealer will meet you half way on it.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-27-2006, 12:41 PM Reply   
Atilla,
I have the MCX as well. It probalby is a little bit of overkill, but I think you will get the $2300 back if you ever sell it. Get it, I would not think twice about it if I had to do it again.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-27-2006, 8:24 PM Reply   
Reserved an all red X1 with white swoosh and X1 logo. Got the standard motor, bimni, fixed board racks, mirror mount, transom saver, and stereo, KGB, and tandem axcel trailer for 46,500 out the door. Waiting for the boat to be delivered to the dealer before actually buying it.
Old    cjcrider            02-28-2006, 4:23 PM Reply   
What you should do is not pay 1 dime over the $39K price that Mastercraft has advertised these boats at. I seriously wish that everyone would tell MC to shove it this year on these X1's for putting forth such a marketing scam....maybe they would learn their lesson. But....we keep buying them even though they completely bulls$%^ us on their pricing and advertising so we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

However.....great boat regardless so I'm sure you'll enjoy it. All red looks really good too....nice choice.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
$46,500 OTD means the boat itself was priced in the range of $42,500 ($4000 goes towards tax, licensing, dealer prep, etc.). i'd say all the options Attila listed (that aren't a part of the advertisement) would easily be worth $2,500 on their own. so you subtract that and you're down to $40,000 which, sure enough, is the original advertised price. so what's the problem?

great deal and great boat Attila
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2006, 4:53 PM Reply   
The advertisements I have seen for the X1 state "Price includes single axle trailer, RTP-1 engine (310 HP V8 EFI), Zero Flex tower and ballast. Price excludes freight/dealer prep., Tax, Title, ETC. Tower Racks and tower mirror shown are optional."
I think that is pretty clear but I always read the fine print on documents where others might just sign their life away.
I think you will be very happy with your boat Attila. It has been a favorite with my family for years. Even when it was a direct drive without a tower it was still an awesome boat.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-28-2006, 5:29 PM Reply   
Also, the base price doesn't include the center ballast, only the two rear tanks.

Atilla, did you go with a red deck as well??
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-28-2006, 8:07 PM Reply   
Yeah, all red with white swoosh, thinking about slapping a big white Mastercraft sticker on there from a Maristar. The 46500 price includes everything including the belly ballast which is extra... I don't get what are griping about Chad, only gangsters and politicians get away with not paying tax :-) There is also a red/white/black 05 X2 showing up on Friday... I should know what I will be riding behind this summer by Saturday... Check back, I will post some pics.