Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2011, 11:15 AM Reply   
Alright, so some of you may have seen my post in the past about moving to FL and I have basically scraped that plan. Basically I just want to go somewhere in the States that I can wakeboard all year round. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'm tired of living in NE where it is to cold to board half the year. I'd like to be close to a wakeboard park and nice size lake. Also it would kind of need to be a place where the economy is thriving (which i know can be difficult to find currently) but if anyone has any thoughts please let me know. I just need to get out of here.

Thanks all
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2011, 11:21 AM Reply   
Central Florida is you #1 option. The only place I would say you can trunk it all year round.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-10-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
Unless you consider leaving the country
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-10-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
sadly i don't think i would be able to get the money together to leave the country. I would love to visit Australia again but that is way, way to much money.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       08-10-2011, 12:19 PM Reply   
Central / Eastern NC has basically what you have asked for. Lots of lakes around, 2 that are heated (coal power plant, Hyco & Belews), and The East Coast Wake Park in Greenville, NC. They have a big slider/jetski lake, a 2.0 cable lake, and two other lakes for future use. It does get cold in winter, we have to use drysuits for a month or two, but it is still liquid, not ice. The heated lakes are much better, can use tops or fullsuits, but if air temp is cold, not much other than drysuit helps. I have ridden year round for 10+ years here.

Having said that, FL would be my first choice if I wasn't from here.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-10-2011, 12:25 PM Reply   
If you don't mind a bit of a drive to work "Austin / San Antonio" New Braunfels, Tx has what you looking for. Have even considered it for myself but I do not want to make that drive. The river though in that area is awesome and they have TSR for a cable.
Old     (txwakerider14)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-10-2011, 12:27 PM Reply   
Dude, Texas is where it is at, We have 4 full size cables up and running and will have 6 by next season with Allen and m2s cables. We ride all year round, bareback 3/4s the year and rarely do you have to wear more than a heater top the rest of the year. Tons of rivers with glass for miles and several lakes in the metro areas. Plus Texas weathered the housing crash way better than Florida. Only problem is all the water might dry up by the time you get here with this heat.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-10-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
^ ill give that a +1. Texas is your #2 option, but you can't wear trunks year round... or say, youse guys.
Old     (supra_21v)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-10-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Texas all the way man. Im in San Antonio right now and we usually ride til oct or nov without any wetsuits. I have never had to keep my boat put up for more than about a month in the jan - feb time. Around april or may its pretty nice to start riding again. Plus longer summers and shorter winters mean more time for the chicks to be in bikinis!
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       08-11-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
Costa Rica isn't that far away, and not too expensive either... No cableparks (yet) though.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-11-2011, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
Costa Rica isn't that far away, and not too expensive either... No cableparks (yet) though.
Im kind of the opposite...looking at leaving FL for NC. My wakeboat didnt move Dec-March (too chilly for my friends lol) and we were on a private lake too.

Man would I love to be in Costa Rica just dont know if I could move that far away from family.
Old     (V237TX_Nate)      Join Date: Jun 2011       08-11-2011, 11:45 AM Reply   
Texas is not accepting any more migrants from the east coast sorry.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-11-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
yeah you and I both
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-11-2011, 3:12 PM Reply   
So why did you scrape your plans for Florida?
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-18-2011, 12:54 AM Reply   
hahaahhaah at Nate!! No more transplant Texans hhaha.. Natives only
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-18-2011, 5:01 AM Reply   
U texas guys better watch out bc u may not have any water n the lakes to wakeboard year round.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-18-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
Thats what you think MUUUAAHAHAHAHAHA.... Coastal Bend area of TX has its secrets... A LOT of them... too bad I dont have a boat.. But a few friends do!!
Old     (glassywater09)      Join Date: Apr 2009       08-20-2011, 10:32 AM Reply   
LA sucks, don't come here. You'd need a drysuit for the 55 water during winter even with T air temps, you'd get stuck snowboarding and surfing that will distract from your wake games. Housing is in the ****ter, even with high unemployment it's hard to find a 3rd.... Texas sounds like it. Check the coyotes, they can probably get you in... Love those vid's of Texas river secret spots.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       08-20-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
I'm in Texas. No water in the lakes around me, but I can always go to TRINITY! 22-50ft deep and glass!
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-20-2011, 11:25 PM Reply   
Scottsdale. 115 in summer and 70 in winter. Lake powell is close and bartlett and pleasant are too nice lakes
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-27-2011, 2:34 PM Reply   
Man these are all a lot of awesome suggestions I'm going to be checking these areas out and hopefully be able to get my resume and a cover letter made up for jobs opened up in these areas. I've discovered that the hardest part about trying to get a job in a different state is that a lot of employers worry that you will not go through with the move so they don't even look at you application after reading an out of state mailing address

Last edited by greenbass86; 08-27-2011 at 2:39 PM.
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-28-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
So why did you scrape your plans for Florida?
didn't scrap them exactly, just willing to take whatever i can get before the cold weather moves into NE, but Florida is my final destination one day
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-28-2011, 1:54 PM Reply   
you guys have all given me great suggestions for places to Wakeboard, but what about places that have Job openings and Wakeboarding?
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-28-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbass86 View Post
Man these are all a lot of awesome suggestions I'm going to be checking these areas out and hopefully be able to get my resume and a cover letter made up for jobs opened up in these areas. I've discovered that the hardest part about trying to get a job in a different state is that a lot of employers worry that you will not go through with the move so they don't even look at you application after reading an out of state mailing address
A helpful tip (and I work as a corporate recruiter)...yes, it is true that local candidates will have a better chance, but a suggestion I make to out of state applicants looking at making a move, is to pay for a PO box (example at a UPS store, Mailboxs Etc. which will show up as an actual address vs a PO box) in the area ur going to move, that way it appears you are local and will have a better chance of being contacted.

What field are you looking into?
Old     (greenbass86)      Join Date: May 2010       08-29-2011, 6:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr View Post
A helpful tip (and I work as a corporate recruiter)...yes, it is true that local candidates will have a better chance, but a suggestion I make to out of state applicants looking at making a move, is to pay for a PO box (example at a UPS store, Mailboxs Etc. which will show up as an actual address vs a PO box) in the area ur going to move, that way it appears you are local and will have a better chance of being contacted.

What field are you looking into?
thanks for the tip, I should probably try that. the only problem is I don't know the definite spot I want to move to. Right now I'm just willing to take anything that is in the South so I can wakeboard lol. I got some money saved up and am ready to move ASAP just need to get a job before i do so.
Old     (natedogg)      Join Date: Aug 2011       09-02-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
i live in new braunfels tx, texas ski ranch 4 lakes within 25 miles and its really only full suit riding a month or so, and i could use more riding buddies, with san antonio and austin, there are tons of industries to work in. time magazine rated new braunfels as one of the fastest growing in the country because the economy really never got us bad, what type of work are you looking for, if you are single you can always get a good bar restaurant job and meet some hotties, while you look for a better job, i met my girlfriend of 4 years in a restaurant during college and it has been my best bet to meet good friends and girls. i grew up here so i feel that i have quite a few connects for different industries so let me know what you are looking for.