Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-03-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
The old thread got archived.

So here's some updates:

History: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/674675.html?1236865336

Upholstery guy: After yelling at him and letting him know I would not accept any work that did not look good and that he would have to start over he has finally re-done most of the interior and it looks pretty good. Should be done tomorrow.

Others: When I think about details my list gets longer and longer.

Guages: The previous owner as has been well documented is a loser. The tach and speedo were burnt out. The electornic guages were known to do this. The dealer said he would warranty these for me. The owner mailed them to the wrong address and they seem to be gone forever. I finally bought some from great lakes skipper and hooked them up yesterday. I think they look pretty good. I got a speedo that only goes to 35 so that the dials would be larger, and who cares about going that fast anyway. Pics...

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-03-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
Great job Rob, let do this!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-03-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
It sounds like this project is starting to wear on you a little. Keep the faith and the good work it'll all be well worth it.
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
Where did you get your gauges and how much were they? Mine have also burnt out and I am in the market for new ones. Where they difficult to replace?

Thanks

Erling
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-04-2009, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hate, yah getting a little thin...Its easier to do these projects when you're not working full time. Plus the upholstery guy has had my stuff for over two months. Thanks for the encouragement. I have to say that I'm getting stoked to ride. The last few years I've seen my skills go down hill as I haven't had a wake dialed in and enough time to get comfortable.

Erling: Heres a pic. Got the stuff from Great Lakes Skipper. Pretty cheap. Install was really easy, you I just used the little electrical splice off the old guage. Only 4 wires to hook up on tack, two on speedo. Took me about an hour. I also got a new pitot tube line and ran it from the transom starboard side to the guage. I have all my upholstery out so it was really easy.

Upload
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-04-2009, 8:26 PM Reply   
Rob,
I hope you know the wake on the SAN is VERY sensitive to weight distribution.The difference between a perfect wake or not can be one person in the boat moving seat position. I battled my wake all year last year. Let me know if you find the formula.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-05-2009, 6:49 AM Reply   
Rod, I've got 400 in sand bags to move around. I'll let you know what I find.

Picking up upholstery tonight.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2009, 9:11 AM Reply   
Ya, keep the chin up!

You are doing an amazing job and we are enjoying the updates.

BTW, are you going to install some speed control? I would not live without it these days.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-08-2009, 8:31 PM Reply   
NEW UPHOLSTERY!
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
By the way I still need to sell the Mastercraft

(Message edited by robandrus on May 08, 2009)
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-08-2009, 10:13 PM Reply   
Alright like my last post:
"Great job Rob, let's do this!"
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-10-2009, 8:34 AM Reply   
good stuff!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-10-2009, 9:19 AM Reply   
After seeing what you had to start with it's amazing to see it looking so nice, great work.

Yes, I would agree the previous was a well documented loser. Glad to see the boat getting a makeover.

My friend Harold has a nice tower box for sale that would look great on that boat. I think he has reduced the price.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/672772.html?1235382944

(Message edited by mikeski on May 10, 2009)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-10-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
The interior looks like it turned out great...your yelling must have worked.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-11-2009, 6:15 AM Reply   
Nice work. I think your just south of me
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-11-2009, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. There are some details not quite right but I think it looks great.

I finally got her on the water! The first time out in a boat is always a little nerve racking, at least if you buy it without a test drive like I did. Starts and runs flawlessly. It was dying on me for a couple minutes but I found a wire that I had loosened and that took care of the problem.

Ballast system fills up quick enough. But it won't seem to empty the belly bag. Actually I seem to have a leak somewhere as after the bags were all filled the bottom of the boat mostly filled, at which point the boat was too heavy to ride. So I never really got a good pull. So, Josh, I need your help. I have my ballast system, 400 stock + 1250 of bags + 400 of sand bags and I want to dial in the wake. I'm thinking of going out after work sometime this week. I need to get this wake dialed in. My wife was the driver and we had our kids in the boat and she couldn't hold speed at all.

Even then it felt so good to be on the water. Ridding with just a spring suit and it felt great.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-11-2009, 1:15 PM Reply   
Finally!
I'm not 100% on which day I can make it out but might be able to make it happen. If we don't do it during the week we can always get on the water early on the weekend and at least look at the wake. You have a ton of weight in the boat and I'm used to seeing the 900 lbs of the stock 02 SANTE.
When you rode did the wake fill extremely steep with a lot of curl? Any Pics???
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-11-2009, 8:08 PM Reply   
It would curl but it was hard to tell as my wife wasn't holding speed. Moving around a sandbag side to side made a big difference. My wife will be out of town so I'll have all the kids...but some time on my hands. I'll see if I can arrange a baby sitter if you want to try.
Old    dhorton            05-11-2009, 9:35 PM Reply   
Hey Rob congrats on a successful maiden voyage. If you can make it out this weekend with Josh, let me know I would be happy to tag along and help you get the wake dialed in. Here is a pic of Josh hitting the wake behind my '02 Super Air a few weeks ago at Willard. Stock rear tanks (400 lbs) and the locker sack (500ish lbs).
Upload

With 2K in ballast it only gets bigger and harder! You might feel like this guy when you hit it the first time!
Upload
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-12-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
David ~~

Rob ~~ I'm now booked for Sat during the day but open later in the day and Sunday! I was going to suggest that I invite David being he has dealt with the SANTE for some time now, really good guy. With that much weight you might need to speed up your riding a bit. I can't imagine how big that wake is going to be . I love the stock weight of the SANTE!
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2009, 7:06 AM Reply   
cant believe that is only 900 pounds in that wake above! Such a sick wake for stock!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-12-2009, 7:29 AM Reply   
How about this, once you figure out the proper tech for the wake it will send you flying. This pic is with Stock weight with 2 adults in the boat, same SANTE by the way.

Upload
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-12-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
ive ridden a sante with 2000 pounds and it was nuts. The only downside (litterally) to that wake is the trough. My 2001 has it too. It just means your landings have to be spot on. Definately will be my next boat though
Old    dhorton            05-12-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
Rob dialing the wake in on that boat is easy, just remember whatever weight you have in the rear you will need the same amount forward of center. The more rear biased you are the steeper the wake will be. Also as I'm sure you've read over and over that they are sensitive as far as side to side weight. When your rider pulls up have them stand neutral in the middle of the wake and shuffle people around to achieve side to side balance.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       05-12-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
A little @ss chewin goes a long way. Interior looks great from here. You know the potential of that wake, its just a matter of getting it dialed. Nice work
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-17-2009, 11:38 AM Reply   
I played Karate Kid this weekend (wax on wax off) --actually (rubbing compound, finishing glaze and wax on wax off) and didn't get to go ridding, my wife is out of town so I had all 4 kids. The boat is looking all shinny and new now. I also got the correct speaker grills for the speakers on there and a new boat cover. Anyway, for ballast this is the setup I'm running

^
Bow
150 sand

540 water

50 sand 50 sand

550 water 550 water

That is if I fill it all the way anyway. What do you guys think? Dang its nice weather outside, wish I was ridding instead of going to church in a half hour.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-17-2009, 11:40 AM Reply   
Question, I have 4 spot lights to put on the tower. 2 facing font and 2 back or 3 back, one front? Seems like you end up getting a lot of reflection off the boat and can't see much forward anyway.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-17-2009, 11:49 AM Reply   
try putting the bimini up. if the lights are above it does wonders
Old     (tuckryan)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-17-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
Isn't it for sale now?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-17-2009, 9:29 PM Reply   
Rob, I suggest putting the 540 up in the bow. Looks to me that you're still a bit stern heavy.

Good luck man and great job on bringing that boat back from the dead!
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-18-2009, 7:52 AM Reply   
Rob ~~ If your going with that much weight in the back your going to want more up front or your either going to have a VERY steep wake or it will start to wash out really early. Make sure you bump your speed up a bit also with all that weight.

P.S.
You can say Sunday was ok, did you get my text?
Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-18-2009, 10:45 AM Reply   
Wow, that water looks awesome, I got your text but my number has changed. new: 801-448-2599

I think I know how to change things up. I think I'll drop some weight as I like ridding at slower speeds at least until I get my sea legs back.

I also forgot that I had another 150 in sand in the locker so the locker is closer to 700.

Ok. Three issues that are bugging me.

1. The trailer: I know there is the key to keep the trailer brakes from engaging up steep hills but this one engages on any slope. Its super anoying. Does anyone know of a fix for this? ...There is a 4th post on the trailer wires. Does this have anything to do with it?

2: Shower, it blows the breaker when you turn the shower on. Does anyone know how this system works? Where is the shower pump? etc.

3: Heater, fan not working...I'll track this one down.

4: Not really a solveable problem but the front of the boat sits so much lower than the rest that no water drains once its on the trailer. Seems like I need to rellocate a bilge pump.

Any help would be great.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-18-2009, 11:14 AM Reply   
For the shower, I would just set it up on its own switch/relay. Even though it's tied into the system, the time it will take to just rewire it to its own power will be worth it in the long run IMO.

For the heater, is it just the entire fan system is not turning on? Or is one speed just not working? You might need to swap out the core if the entire system is shot (but definitely check the fuses on it first).

If you are worried about the water when on the trailer, getting the bilge pump in the exact lowpoint might be tough - just take the plug out and take a few extra hills on your way home from the lake.

(Message edited by sinkoumn on May 18, 2009)
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-18-2009, 12:11 PM Reply   
Rob,
You can also place a brick or a cut down tree stump under the tongue to raise the front up when sitting on the trailer. This will push all the water out the back drain plug.

Or you can take the drain plug out and before your leave the lake, back it down the ramp (without going into the water of course) and let the water drain that way.

Can't help you on the other issues, sorry.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-21-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
My ACME 644 won't do the job to push that much weight at my elevation. Its for sale now. I'm gonna try the 1464.

Also got the speaker grills mounted on the outside, except for the drivers one... That one is just a weird shape to fit without large gaps.

Still need Josh to drive for me as my neighbor the other day was killing me by driving in a contstant curve at an unconstant (inconsistant) speed.

Also I'm 300 in sand and going with a more stock setup to dial in the wake. So I'll be trying the 540 locker bag and just the stock tanks...bags are still on top to try it. I still have 100 in sand to move around as necesary.
Old    K.B.C.            05-21-2009, 10:28 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'd recommend the 1464 or the 856. They both do a good job. The 1464 runs a little higher RPM, about 2-300, but pushes the weight a little bit better than the 856. We've got about 2,500 #s at 5,000 ft elevation and both props work well.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-21-2009, 12:09 PM Reply   
Rob ~~ I can't say I'm any better than your neighbor at driving. Even though I bet I can do 200% better than him . I think I'm skipping the lakes this weekend and heading up to the mountains for dirt biking and hiking with the family. Let's hook up soon for sure! Your going to really like the stock weight when you get it dialed. Then add the weight and watch it grow and either blow your mind or your knees.
How about the wake so far, you had a chance to at least look at it and get a little feel for it. Don't forget to send and post pics on www.downfortheride.com
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-21-2009, 2:29 PM Reply   
Rob have your wire harness on your truck/suv changed to a four prong connector. any place that installs trailer hitches should be able to do this.It cost me abut 30$ I believe? it turns off your trailer brakes when your reverse lights come on. I had the same problem when I first got my boat
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       05-21-2009, 4:08 PM Reply   
Murph, its funny you just mentioned that. I looked it up today and I need the 7 pin to 5 pin adapter. Costs $15 at lowes, there is an actuator that disables the brakes when in reverse. I have the 4 pin now, so I need the 5 pin. I guess the problem is that disk brakes work equally well in reverse while drum brakes don't. Mark one off the list.

Does anyone know where the pump to the shower is located? Thanks.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-22-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Just follow the hose till you run into it. Thats my best advice. I've installed a couple but not one on a san. I did some work on a older sante few years ago but don't remember where the pump was. We hardly ever use the shower, I would get the heater working first that would be my priority. BTW utah lake is our home lake too.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       05-22-2009, 9:28 AM Reply   
DC ~~ Haven't seen ya out there yet, you launch out of Pelican or AF?
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-22-2009, 10:21 AM Reply   
We launch out at the private saratoga marina on the north west corner. We mainly ride in the evenings during the week. Just heading out now, will be the 4th time out this week.