Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (thecrewhasperished)      Join Date: Nov 2007       08-04-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Hello all,

I am sure many of you have boarded at Cumberland Lake in Kentucky. Recently, Harmon Creek, home to the best glass on the lake, has been entirely turned into a no ski zone. This decision was made to protect a large "raft up" or party spot and to prevent run in's with big boats and skiers. The US Army Corps and Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife (KDFW) regulate this area. They have indicated that they would change the no ski zone to open Harmon Creek back up to water sports if they received enough feedback supporting this. I need everyone's help. Please email a quick letter of Support to me on this topic. I have drafted a letter to the KDFW and US Army Corps. I have spoken to the resource manager at the Corps and have written this letter per his recommendation. You support emails will be attached to the letter and sent to the Corps and KDFW. We are proposing a no wake zone in front of Jack's Branch. This will solve everyone's problems and will keep the lake safe! I encourage both water sports people and partiers to jump on this (I do both. My email is:

bacton@cecinc.com

The letter will read as follows (I also attached a graphic of the proposed no wake zone):

August 4, 2008

Mr. Tim Catron
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife
1 Sportsman’s Lane
Frankfort, KY 40601

Subject: Cumberland Lake
Harmon Creek
No Ski Zone

Dear Mr. Catron:

We understand that Harmon Creek has been designated as a “no ski zone” from the entrance to the slalom course and continuing south and east upstream. This restriction has made all of Harmon Creek, with the exception of the slalom course, inaccessible to water sports. We understand your reasons for making this decision; however this action has eliminated what many of use believe to be the best water sports water on Cumberland Lake. Based upon this information, we propose to designate “no wake” zone in front of Jack’s Branch, where people often gather to socialize, while leaving the rest of Harmon Creek open to responsible water sports. We believe this solution will protect people using Jack’s branch while creating a safe, enjoyable environment for water sports. This would also help relieve recent congestion problems in Difficulty and Beaver Creeks, which have lead to unsafe boating conditions. I have attached a figure graphically representing our proposal for your review. I have also attached comments of support from both people who wish to socialize in the area as well as people who enjoy water sports on Lake Cumberland. Thank you for your consideration of this matter.

Please feel free to call me at 614-310-1041 with questions or comments.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill Acton

cc:

Devlin Ridenour - USACE
USACE – Resource Managers Office
855 Boat Dock Road Somerset KY 42501
Upload