Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 04, 2006

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Thought I would share the happiness. This was earlier this morning. I have been editing other film for a couple of hours, and decided I would post this snippet.

I should have a pretty cool trailer for our summer video out here in a couple of weeks. Until then, see what you think! Its not the cleanest jump I've ever done, but it works.

http://www.wakepics.com/img/19625
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-20-2006, 1:43 PM Reply   
Right on Garret, great job nice toeside 5.
CONGRATS!!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       07-20-2006, 1:53 PM Reply   
Congrats Garret, that's always a good feeling to go 5!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2006, 1:58 PM Reply   
Awesome and congrats. I haven't landed it TS yet, but I got it twice on HS so far. I do TS 3s....which everyone thinks is harder.

What do you think Garret?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   

quote:

I do TS 3s....which everyone thinks is harder.

I think HS 3's are harder than TS 5's. Congrats on the 5 Garret, working on HS 5's next? (I am )

-Steve
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2006, 2:32 PM Reply   
Steve-

I'm very impressed by your profile, awesome.

Sorry about the quick hi-jack.

Nice 5 Garret!!!
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 3:25 PM Reply   
gah, HS 3 took awhile, but those came a lot easier to me than ts 3s and ts 5s. I think you REALLY need to get ts 3's solid before working on 5's, just for the rotation and everything. I really had to try for the 5.

Yep, working more on TS 5 and HS 5 next, but I REALLY need an invert! I just have no balls...any suggestions? I have been trying for the backroll, but I keep wiping out really bad and tweaking stuff, making me really not want to try it. Anyone have pain-free advice?

thanks people!

(Message edited by garret_s on July 20, 2006)
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       07-20-2006, 3:34 PM Reply   
"Anyone have pain-free advice?"
No such thing it wakeboarding.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2006, 3:39 PM Reply   
Hmmm..rotation has been problem, but only OVER-rotating. I tend to over rotate the TS 3 and slide out. But pretty much everyone has said just go for the 5...that it's harder to stop the rotation and land on your toes.

HS 3 came much easier for me too.

Easiest invert for me was the toeside backroll. But that's uncommon I think.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-20-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Congrats bro!!! I remember my first, i was so amped, to the pointthat I came back and stomped another. Pretty soon you'll be like "hmmm 7? doesn't seeem that hard..."

The Toe 5 is not that hard, people tend to think that they need to really spin like crazy but in reality its just like a 3 but you look back to the boat. I come in on a decent edge and make sure I I get a good tall pop, as you come up move the handle to your trailing hip and as you reach your peak snap the handle hard through the small of your back, once you get the handle just look for the boat and try and get the handle back in your back hand, it is more legit if you do it two handle passes. The heel 5 is much harder, I've only landed a dozen or so of them. AS for inverts a backroll is easy, scarecrows are very easy for me and I learned a TS Back roll on my third. Of the three the backroll is still easiest, you never let go you just rotate aroun the handle. Rememeber its all edge, no need to worry about flipping just release right & hold on. Big Heezy out.

(Message edited by stephan on July 20, 2006)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-20-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
sweet dood no you gotta learn them ts bs.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-20-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
and then change your name to Colin Wright.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-20-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
I agree Garret, everyone should learn ts 3's first. I learned a ts 5 first and have spent a whole summer perfecting a 3 because I tend to slide out on my landings.

Congrats on the 5, go for it HS. They are hard, I have landed more Off Axis. I think I have more handle control when I go off axis, more line tension I guess.
Old     (midwesty)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-20-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
try a tanrum..easy and is easy on the body
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
actually, I found the tantrum to be REALLY hard on my knees when I was attempting them, just because I would ALWAYS launch super low. I actually nearly blew out my mcl on one bad attempt. Kinda scared of those. I think backroll it is.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
Stick with spins! Its hard to do stylish inverts IMO
Old     (dlrobins2)      Join Date: Feb 2006       07-20-2006, 7:05 PM Reply   
I recommend trying a ts front roll. I think they are one of the least painful / scary inverts to learn. Coming up short on them is much better than coming up short on a backroll.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2006, 2:51 AM Reply   
i nailed my first kicker ts 5 a couple of weeks ago and have landed only a couple since. Its actually easier than a ts3 cause of the landing. I found that a ts 3 is similar to landing blind cause you see you're landing so late.

All i'd say to anyone doing a 5 is take the first 180 really slow to make sure you're rotating on axis, then wip the next 3 round and you'll be fine. I've noticed if you through it early you'll never make it cause you pull yourself off axis straight away.

darren, with your stylish invert coments, you can always grab them, i.e. i've recently started grabbin my ts backrolls indy, then moved my hand towards the front foot and tweaked the back leg. felt good but then realised i'd not rotated enough, but this is practice.
if you can grab inverts thats style!!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-21-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
As much as I try, I can never get the grabs on inverts. Usually just flip faster, overrotate and get WRECKED.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       07-21-2006, 8:57 AM Reply   
when grabbing you've got to throw the tric much less and let your legs coming up to you make more contribution to the spin, just think about taking the trick up the really sucking your legs up however you need to for the grab.

its a really tricky one cause you will have learned the trick throwing you're whole body into it to make the invert happen, but now you're using the tuck of the grab to throw the trick abit more so feel like you'll never get round.

This is me talking about when i throw ts rolls off the kicker, but would guess its the same on boat.
i.e. tantrum don't throw your head and chest as much as normal (when you'd have a laidout tantrum) but push your head & chest up and slightly back then really throw your knees up and grab, its this that'll make your rotate the invert!

can anyone confirm this?
Old     (jon_m)      Join Date: Mar 2006       07-21-2006, 9:08 AM Reply   
garret, you are the man. bous will be so jealous.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2006, 9:51 AM Reply   
haha, I just told bous wednesday that I was trying em, hopefully I can back that up now! haha

You coming down to KC today jon?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
Garret, try coming off edge a bit earlier when you ride up the wake. You'll get better snap that way and the rotation will be slower and cleaner.

Nice, though.... I was so stoked when I landed that trick the first time. I actually did learn a TS 3 first, but once I learned the 5 I pretty much flushed the 3. Only the last few times I've been out have I started the 3's again. 3's are fun because of how slowly you spin. Get up in the air finish the 180 and at the last second pull the handle to your lead hip.

On the invert thing.... I'm kind of a puss about going upside down too. Not sure why, but spinning comes much more naturally for me. Backrolls just dont work for me, but Tantrums were easy to learn and the Crow wasn't too bad either. Not really any hard falls on either of those inverts. Just make sure to wait for the pop. The most common problem is taking off early.

Good luck.

(Message edited by guido on July 21, 2006)
Old     (dtb)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2006, 10:07 AM Reply   
Garret, congrats on the 5, looks good. Hey we talked early in the season about getting out and riding together at Blue Springs, but never made it happen. We should hook up for some riding. You can help me with the ts 5 and i'll help you with a few inverts.

On another note, I sometimes ride with the guys who used to own the tige you bought, nice boat.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-21-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
Garret,

Congrats man! I'd say your best off learning the tantrum first. I learned the backroll first but crashes were much worse learning backs then the tantrum. Frontrolls aren't too bad either. I did rack my stuff once on the front, but for the most part it was painless landing on my butt the first few times. Good luck and keep tearin it up!

Jake
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-21-2006, 11:33 AM Reply   
I just took a look at the video, good first time. try comin in a little more mellow and really popping UP! You will have a lot more time to spin and pass the handle again before you land. It will also open up the grab potential.
Old     (xstarmeli)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-21-2006, 1:06 PM Reply   
Great spin Garret! Awesome!