Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-17-2010, 9:26 PM Reply   
Have any thoughts on this boat, my questions are mostly wake related both for wakeboarding and surfing. Thanks

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/1602185514.html
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-17-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
Unless I'm seeing things, that's not a vdrive like the ad states. That's all I can think of, I know nothing about those boats.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2010, 10:37 PM Reply   
Centurion has made some pretty freaky boats over the years. In those pics it looks like the engine cover is pretty close to the stern so it wouldn't surprise me if it were a v-drive. You could redesign the entire back with a new engine cover into a more conventional setup like newer boats. Still probably pretty narrow & no open bow. Would be a pretty cheap first boat.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-18-2010, 6:06 AM Reply   
the v drive falcon was the first they are rare but it is a v drive
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-18-2010, 7:04 AM Reply   
Here's some better pics of a 1994 Falcon for reference. Yeah, it's a V-drive.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/1600814818.html

Not much of a wake, though. Steep and abrupt and narrow.
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-18-2010, 7:32 AM Reply   
So there is no way to get a decent wake out of this thing??
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-18-2010, 8:12 AM Reply   
the wake will be ok with some ballast i would bet better than the standard inboard but don't expect wake boat size
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-18-2010, 8:26 AM Reply   
Harold, I am not sure I agree with blanket statements like that. Just because a boat is a direct drive doesn't mean that it will have a worse wake than any boat with a vdrive. The vdrive does nothing other than move the weight to the back(which you can recreate in a direct drive) and the normal vdrive config gives you lots of storage to hide bags.

Todd, I don't have any experience with that boat but I would take an educated guess that a Nautique 2001 or an old sunsport would have better wakeboarding wakes. That boat doesn't even look to have the extra storage area's. Also I am not sure if it is that exact boat but one of those ran aground in front of the lake house I was living in a couiple years ago. He cut the only corner you can't cut on Sammamish and beached the boat in probably a foot of water. Not sure how bad it damaged the boat or if it even did damage it. It is a sand bar and fairly soft.

There has been a 1993 Hydrodyne closed bow that has been on craigslist in Seattle lately. Nick Tomsyck from wakeworld use to have one and said it has a great wake. The boat looks mint as well. I'll see if I can find it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/1598988682.html

(Message edited by polarbill on February 18, 2010)
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-18-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Bret sorry to offend when I say standard inboard I reference the direct drive falcon much flatter hull Malibu skier and like boats of that year range.The 80's 2001 nautiques are in a class of their own nautique still uses a similar hull on some of their boats to this day.My brother has a restored and tricked out 89 nautique and the wake is stellar they were way ahead of their time and are the best built boats of the era and if in good shape still fetch a good selling price
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-18-2010, 9:11 AM Reply   
Harold, I wasn't offended at all. Now that makes sense. Nautique just screwed up so bad on making a slalom hull that it became perfect for wakeboarding. I do agree that most of the direct drives of the 80's and early 90's were not very good for wakeboarding.
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       02-18-2010, 10:33 AM Reply   
Yea, don't ever let anyone tell you, you can't get a good wake out of a direct drive. This is my 03 Response LX with about 2500lbs in it and 2 people. Does just fine IMO.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
It's great you can get a descent wake out of those low rider boats. But how safe they are is a huge question, especially for any first time boat owner. I personally know 2 guys who have sank Responses that were fully weighted like yours Sippi, one of them on Sammamish. Even had problems with the Coast Guard in a weighted Response on the Columbia river near TriCities one time.

Personally I like the deeper hulls (like the old Supras, the new Malibus, etc.) because they can be weighted & I don't have to be 100% on it all the time if one of you surfers go by me. Those huge rollers go right on by my Vride without me sweatin it at all..... much.

Could be the same issue in the Centurion, low freeboard, not a lot of room to weight it very much. But the price is so low that it might be worth a ride behind it to check it out, especially for a first time boat owner lookin to get into a boat for cheap. Sounds like it might be a good idea to look at the bottom closely too.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on February 18, 2010)
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-18-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
Brett-I would get a direct drive ( there is a nice 2001 on tapps right now) but i know the family is gonna come with me so I know there is no room in those things for all the gear,ballast, ect and people. I thought the centurion v-drive might give me a little more room. I guess I'm just trying to find something I can pay cash for. It sucks going from a 88 ps 190 7yrs ago, then finally being able to get a boat that was really awesome 06 moomba lsv, and now back to something I can pay cash for(hence all the question about this cheap v-drive). Maybe I should just save for a couple more years and get a boat that is in the 15-20k range. I guess part of me wants to buy a boat that will last and be"ok" for the next couple yrs. while i save up for the 15-20k boat and then re-sell the "ok" boat for close to the same price I get it for now and I will be set. Sorry for the ramblings. Thanks for the help.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-18-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Todd, if you can swing 12k go buy that guys Sanger V210 in Utah. Sick boat, sick wake, sick price.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/772227.html?1266453045
Old     (yodd_tost)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-18-2010, 12:48 PM Reply   
I know- sweetness I just dont have the funds right now and I still gotta get my wife totally on board(if only the stupid housing market would pick up). I'm probably just gonna do what I did last year and bum rides, mostly off of Hawk up in B-Ham
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       02-18-2010, 1:17 PM Reply   
That is a really good way to do it as well.